Menu

Help w/living rm!

We live in a small 2bdrm apartment. My issue is my living room (and my kitchen, but i cant change that!

Its getting cold here and the baseboard heat is on, so i need to re-do the layout so we can get the most out of our baseboard heat! HELP!

The things to know:

Living Rm is ABOUT 8wx14l with 1 window and 1 door. The dining room is off the living room. (its NOT sectioned off, but in the picture it is to show the space i cant fill- the kitchen is behind the wall where the TV is)

I have to keep all furniture pictured IN the room. (Sewing machine, Chair, small side table, coffee table, couch, desk, wardrobe, buffet, tv)

Here is the NOW layout.

NOWlivingrm.png

Well I'll give you a bump, and then I'll laugh about whether I should tell you the story about when I was pregnant (but didn't know it) and was trying and trying and trying to decide our final kitchen cabinet arrangement and where all the pots should go and the sizes of the doors and what should be drawers and... I was up all night, in tears, still couldn't figure it out. Couple days later we realized I was pregnant! :D

That was 5 years ago btw, not now. Anyways, anything you're trying to sort out may be harder with the hormones. But hmm, I take it the baseboard heaters are along those walls and you want to pull the couch off the wall to get more heat into the room and make it feel more cozy? Well amen to that! Variety is the spice of life. Even if you don't love it, a change is nice. My MIL rearranges her living room for the winter too. :)

If I'm understanding your drawing correctly, the lower level corner is where the baseboard heaters come together, right? And you have a rather large tv? I would see if you can comfortably place it in that corner. Then try to run the couch parallel to the tv, which means it's sort of at an angle. Then place the changes at 90 degrees to the couch to make an arrangement. They do that kind of thing in decorator rooms all the time, launching a couch in the middle of the room. It doesn't have to hug a wall.

You *could* try putting the couch on the tv/kitchen wall and putting the tv on the bottom wall where the baseboards are. Just play around with it. I don't know how much you want to move. I love moving furniture, even pianos. I'm just sort of a nut about it. So if it were me, I'd just start moving, prego or no. Gives you a good chance to clean anyway. So probably that buffet ends up on the kitchen (north) wall. Doesn't seem like you need to change your sewing area.

As you make your plans, figure out where your Christmas tree goes. That way it will look good for a couple months. Then maybe after christmas you'll change things up and rearrange.

Good luck! :)

PS. If you're like me, you're always looking to expand your sewing area. You could turn that sewing counter perpendicular (so it's on the south wall) and bring that small side table over beside it, assuming it's not being used in the living area. Then you'd have room to expand your crafting. :)

Where's the baseboard heating? And what is the long section behind the chair? Where's the window?

The baseboard heat runs along the left and bottom wall. The window is behind the chair/small table.

Where did you get the nice picture of the Now layout?

I sometimes want a map like that for rooms in my house.

Sorry, I can't help with the arrangement. Not my area of expertise.

It will take me a minute to retrace my steps because i found it on a blog that linked to it. I was originally looking for how to play with my stove and fridge in our 56sq ft kitchen and came across this and then decided i needed my living room re done so i can get more heat!

In that small of a space, I don't think it would matter much. Just add in a small fan on the floor or a ceiling fan, and the heat will circulate just fine. When we had a smaller place, we just pulled the couch out from the wall a few inches so it wasn't touching the heater and kept the furniture in the same place.

In that small of a space, I don't think it would matter much. Just add in a small fan on the floor or a ceiling fan, and the heat will circulate just fine. When we had a smaller place, we just pulled the couch out from the wall a few inches so it wasn't touching the heater and kept the furniture in the same place.

:iagree:

:iagree:

I live in an apartment I cant install a ceiling fan. Also the heat is on the top of the baseboard not the bottom- i looked at Home Depot for a way to deflect the heat up and out towards the room...but couldnt find much.

I could move the couch away from the wall.

Does both outside walls of the dining room need to be left open? I would probably use the couch as a "wall" on the short side of the dining room, with the buffet (if it's what I'm thinking of - a high narrow table) behind it.

Then put the tv (free-standing console?) catty-cornered in the far corner. It won't be head-on to the couch but depending on how often you watch, that may not be an issue.

Arrange the smaller furniture where it fits best leaving the baseboards open as much as possible.

We have a very small area to deal with and our only heat vent is in the only wall with no doors, windows or a large fireplace. We find ourselves having to get fairly creative with the arranging.

Does both outside walls of the dining room need to be left open? I would probably use the couch as a "wall" on the short side of the dining room, with the buffet (if it's what I'm thinking of - a high narrow table) behind it.

Then put the tv (free-standing console?) catty-cornered in the far corner. It won't be head-on to the couch but depending on how often you watch, that may not be an issue.

Arrange the smaller furniture where it fits best leaving the baseboards open as much as possible.

We have a very small area to deal with and our only heat vent is in the only wall with no doors, windows or a large fireplace. We find ourselves having to get fairly creative with the arranging.

In the picture the TV in on the buffet. Its a flat screen.

I live in an apartment I cant install a ceiling fan. Also the heat is on the top of the baseboard not the bottom- i looked at Home Depot for a way to deflect the heat up and out towards the room...but couldnt find much.

I could move the couch away from the wall.

A small fan will still move the air around, it doesn't have to be directly in front of the heater. Any air movement will help maintain a comfortable level in the room.