Menu

Sugar detox help!

I need to seriously detox from sugars (carbs) in my diet. What is the best way to go about this? I've tried Atkins, South Beach in the past. I never made it very far. It is just too extreme and not practical. I have a tight food budget, kids that need to eat normal health meals not steak and salad every meal (:D) and I want to be as normal as I can. I really, really don't want to give up fruit. I know that I have some major hypoglycemic issues (I get shaky, irritable, nauseous, lightheaded). I know that if I fix the sugar in my life then I will not have this anymore.

BUT, does that mean I have to go a week or so with major detox side effects? How do I parent and focus on school while detoxing? I know I make it sound bad, it is. I can't even go a day without chocolate. :tongue_smilie:

Would it work to do it slowly? Any tips about how to avoid eggs every AM. Blak. Should I start with sweets (cookies, cake, ice cream) first, then other junk which I don't have too often but it is in my diet (chips, some white carbs)?

My husband may join me (he wants/needs to). I do need to lose weight, actually a lot of weight....70 pounds? But, I want to mainly feel better. Looking better would just be a bonus.

Anyone been there, done that? Tips on getting through the headaches, shakes, etc., that comes with detoxing? Any favorite books to help me with recipes (normal, affordable ones)? Your favorite recipes? It is hard to come up with 3 low carb meals every. single. day.

I went off sugar cold turkey a few months ago, along with white flour, white rice, and most processed foods. It really wasn't that bad. From my experience, a lot of the detox symptoms you're talking about are there because you're putting stuff in your body that it can't handle.

I did eat fruit. I had a pot of quinoa cooked and ready for a quick snack. I had a couple eggs for breakfast every morning, a green smoothie in the afternoon, fruit, veggies or nuts for snacks, and a healthy dinner. Drinking a lot of water helps, too. I lost 25 lbs that way and was rarely hungry. I also lost the taste for sugars and starches really quickly--after a while, sugar tastes fake, diet sodas taste like chemicals, white flour tastes gummy and unsubstantial. I had way more energy and felt better in so many ways.

Unfortunately, I've been slipping over the last month. We've had a lot of stress at home and food is my go-to comfort item. :P But now I know I can do it, and it won't be that hard when I get back on track.

As for the chocolate, I get 90% dark chocolate and have one square a day. It tastes bad at first but I've come to prefer it. It really satisfies the urge to keep eating, and once you stop liking sugar, you won't need things to be as sweet, in my opinion.

Do a search for Green Smoothie Girl. I don't agree with her on everything, but her blog is very informative and inspiring.

Edited by Rosy

Someone here recently mentioned Whole 30.

The plan looks a lot like GAPS to me but I can see it work because you cut out all junk food and carbs but eat good organic veggies, fruit, eggs, fish and meat.

All detox is hard but it's oh so much better on the other side!

If you can take out all carbs for 9-10 days that will do the trick. It really stinks the first 5 days but if you can get through that you will see a world of difference. You waist line will decrease and your cravings will be gone. I am a true carb addict and I spiral to an ugly place when I eat them. I indulged the past 2 days and seriously regret it. I fell terrible and have had acid reflux both nights.:glare:

Thanks. I will look into the book mentioned. Also, I will google Whole 30. Haven't heard of that. I was kidding about steak every day. :tongue_smilie: it usually is chicken or ground beef here. Mornings are the absolute hardest. I'm so hungry and have to eat eggs. Gross. And I haven't found a crust less AND flourless quiche. I can tolerate quiche.

I need to do it but can't stand the initial feeling. I deal with stress by eating. And everyday has its moments of stress. Ha.

Thanks. I will look into the book mentioned. Also, I will google Whole 30. Haven't heard of that. I was kidding about steak every day. :tongue_smilie: it usually is chicken or ground beef here. Mornings are the absolute hardest. I'm so hungry and have to eat eggs. Gross. And I haven't found a crust less AND flourless quiche. I can tolerate quiche.

I need to do it but can't stand the initial feeling. I deal with stress by eating. And everyday has its moments of stress. Ha.

Sometimes I do protein shakes for breakfast. I use either cream or a combo of Almond/coconut milk. I just discovered this from someone here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/580923-pumpkin-shake-recipe-inside.html#post10989710

others in the thread have omitted the egg and just added Whey protein.

when I did sugar free, I didn't do anything other than simply cutting out all forms of sugar. It took a month to notice, but I felt GREAT! even my allergies went away. I had tons of energy. I ate as much as I wanted. it was pure side-effect that I lost 15 lbs and was in better shape than when I was in high school.

I put pulverized pecans (I buy pecans and put them in the food processor), cinnamon and butter on my oatmeal in the morning.

I did eat normal pasta. Made my own spaghetti sauce (was miffed when I discovered my canned tomatoes had corn syrup. :glare::glare::glare: - but still that was my only option.)

I didn't drink juice of any kind - as it has lots of sugar in multiple forms. Drank water plain or with a lemon twist. I avoided pop - and hate artificial sweeteners.

I didn't eat bread (yeast, sugar to feed the yeast) of any kind. I put my tuna on rice cakes. peanut butter on soda crackers.

I did eat more vegetables, but no fruit (fructose). I added butter to things - especially squash.

a friend just leant me eat like a dinosaur. it is gluten free and some dairy free. most of the recipies aren't expensive.

Our whole family will be doing something similiar starting next week. I'm not getting rid of fruit, though.

We will eat ONLY vegetables, fruit, meat, nuts, and eggs. Drink only water. We've tried to eliminate or restrict certain foods, then others, etc. Didn't work. So I'm going the other way. This weekend, I'm cleaning out the cupboards, boxing stuff up, rearranging the fridge and freezer, and LOCKING it (yes, we have a locking freezer). Then I'm going grocery shopping, loading up on fresh fruit and veggies, washing and preparing them and filling the fridge with easy to grab, already washed and cut veggies. In about 3 or 4 weeks, we will slowly reintroduce items to see what can stay and what must go. If anything.

Thanksgiving supper will be easy to prepare this year. :)

This is mostly for DD's sake, but the whole family will benefit from a healthier diet/detox session, I'm sure. I am not looking forward to the moods, though. But I am determined that we will get through this and survive.

ETA: I'm looking forward to it because meals will be so much simpler (IMO). Here's your meat, here's your veggies, eat. I'm not doing anything fancy, and my kids actually prefer raw veggies to cooked, so I just have to grill up some chicken breasts or pork chops and serve with some veggies. Fruit for dessert, if they want.

Edited by fraidycat