Menu

Curriculum $$$$

Is curriculum getting more expensive or is my budget getting tighter? For example: I really wanted to use a particular curriculum for econ. But, when I add up the cost of text, TM, student activity, TM for student activity, the cost was outside my budget (and not economically a good idea to purchase it :)). I've noticed this with some others too. Maybe I have been buying used more lately or just catching some really good sales? Anyone else noticed this?

As my children move into more advanced courses, the cost goes up. The price for elementary hasn't changed substantially from #1 to #5... I can still re-use a lot. However, beginning with middle school and high school level courses, that changes.

It goes up even more when you feel the need to use DVD or on-line courses here and there.

:iagree: that cost creeps up as you approach Jr. High/Middle School and High School.

I have also noticed on a couple of occasions there is one company in particular that charges outrageous $$ (in my opinion) for their materials and I have made the conscious decision to either find it used OR choose something else.

My mom sends me Christmas money every year. For the last two years, I've been spending it on hs curriculum that feel I need to give dd a great education, but that I couldn't afford on my own. When you're talking about just one class costing about $150 for the bare bones - no supplements, costs add up quickly. That Christmas money is how we get by.

My daughter is in high school this year. I am saving money. In elementary, I think that it's cheaper to homeschool than it is to get nickeled and dimed with school fees. However, when my daughter switched to high school as a freshman last February, my budget breathed a sigh of relief. High school curriculum, enrichment classes, community college courses, and the amount of gas it takes to go everywhere is a LOT more expensive than elementary homeschooling stuff.