Menu

How expensive is a pool??

We use our pool for about three months out of the year. I would say between chemicals and power those three months cost us between $400 and $500. I think our round pool is 27 feet across. We don't have to pay to have water brought in as our well can handle filling it if we take it slow.

Does it have direct sunlight or shade? One will aide in algae growth, the other may cause a lot of cleaning (esp if it's under a tree :glare:). Chemicals and electricity can really add up too. Does it have a heater? Do you want one? How about a cover? Are the skimmer, etc included? Is there a fence? If not, do you need one?

Price pool cleaning services and expect that you would be able to do it for less than that. We keep our pool going year round and once you get the water right it isn't that hard to keep it right chemically. We check once a week or so and adjust as needed. If we get a lot of rain we will also check it after the rain before swimming. We have a screen enclosure that keeps most of the junk out of the water, but keeps the water cooler too. We are planning on solar panels so that we will actually be able to use it the couple of months that it is too cold to do so now.

The pool was a mess when we bought the house and we ended up draining it and cleaning it with a pressure washer.

In addition to knowing when the liner was replaced, you'll also want to know how old the pump/filters are. Our pool needed the filter replaced ($500) and then the Polaris pump also needed replacing ($300). The Polaris isn't necessary, but is very helpful to keep the pool clean.

ETA: You'll also want to calculate the cost of extra water if it's a hot summer with little rain. In the Pensacola area, we added about 1-2 inches of water every other day.

We sure loved our pool, though! We miss not having one at our new house.

Edited by wilrunner

If I was moving into a house with a pool I would look into changing it to a salt water system. It is cheaper to run a salt water pool.

We switched to salt water last year, and while I don't know if it's cheaper yet, I do know that we wish we would have done it years earlier. The water feels so good on our skin, and it's so nice to be able to swim without goggles. No problem opening eyes under water - feels like nothing! And, none of that chlorine smell after getting out.

You need to ask yourself if you really want it. We have one. It cost several hundred dollars (probably close to a thousand) during the summer to pay for chemicals, topping off the water, and electric. You also have to assume that things will need to be replaced. We have replaced the lights, parts for the filter, and the pump as well as skimmer baskets. Pool toys are a yearly expense as well as goggles (for all the people that show up without them). If you love it and can afford it then that is great. If you do not love it you will resent every penny that it cost.