Menu

Used Textbooks - where?

DH needs his textbook for this term (they run 6wk terms) - class started last week. Where's the best place to get them? Speed in delivery is paramount at this point, but I'd also like the best price if I can. I have to order TODAY.

I can get it on Amazon for $141 + $3..99 shipping - from WA, so hopefully no impact by Sandy, but I don't know where else to look?!?

He needs:

Managing Human Resources

Author: Snell

Edition: 16th

ISBN: 9781111532826

I don't really want to rent, because then we're just throwing money down the drain. At least if we buy, we can sell it back later.

I did find an international edition on http://www.bigwords.com for sale by http://www.TextbooksRus.com for $46.18 (including shipping) with delivery in 3-5 days. It does say this regarding international editions:

"seller:textbooks

(seller deemed reliable)

comments: book Condition: Brand New. International Edition. Softcover. This is a Brand New High-Quality, Color-Printed Textbook. Different ISBN and cover image with US edition but contents with US edition. Fast shipping and ship within 48 hours by UPS/DHL global express service to any US destination within 3-5 business days. We do not ship to Po Box, APO and FPO address. Some book may show some sales disclaimer word such as \"Not for Sale or Restricted in US\" on the cover page. Some international textbooks, International Edition, but it is guaranteed to have the same exact contents as the US edition, or your money back!

Usually ships in 1-2 business days"

Would you buy?

My neice rents her textbooks, and although you don't have a book to sell back, it ends up costing her less.

I know it costs less up front, but according to Amazon, if I buy this book for $145, I can sell it back for $126.51 - meaning it only cost me $19. I can't rent for $19, LOL. I'm poor....always looking for the best deal :)

Edited by k2bdeutmeyer

For DH's classes, we have found that renting is the way to go. I checked some prices on buying up front and the prices that bookstores were paying to buy them back and we came out cheaper renting because the stores were offering such low prices on buy-backs. Plus the texts were changing so often, there is no guarantee they would even buy them back. I couldn't find a buy-back price for some of the texts we were looking at because they weren't buying them back at the time. I thought the same way you did and just couldn't see renting until I checked it out.

I usually do a search by ISBN number and then compare prices. Also, I have had classes that will accept the International edition and some that won't. He should email his prof and ask. Often you can save money that way.

For DH's classes, we have found that renting is the way to go. I checked some prices on buying up front and the prices that bookstores were paying to buy them back and we came out cheaper renting because the stores were offering such low prices on buy-backs. Plus the texts were changing so often, there is no guarantee they would even buy them back. I couldn't find a buy-back price for some of the texts we were looking at because they weren't buying them back at the time. I thought the same way you did and just couldn't see renting until I checked it out.

I usually do a search by ISBN number and then compare prices. Also, I have had classes that will accept the International edition and some that won't. He should email his prof and ask. Often you can save money that way.

So, Amazon is telling me that if I buy this book, I can sell it back for $126 - is there a chance that I won't actually be able to in 6wk?

Just read the forums at amazon about book buy backs... It is NOT guaranteed. At this moment in time they would pay that if book was in PERFECT condition. In 6 weeks, who knows? They check what editions professors are ordering etc and how many they have in stock/sold and then calculate based on that. Plus when you mail it in, they evaluate it and subtract for highlighting, pencil marks, bent pages, etc.

Plus schools change textbook requirements like my children change their socks--- with no rhyme or reason. They can use the same textbook for years and this is the year they change or they can require a different one frequently.

Isn't that the truth! But, I'd be selling back to Amazon in 6wk - that's the nice part about 6wk terms :) It'd be just in time for spring term at most schools.

So, Amazon is telling me that if I buy this book, I can sell it back for $126 - is there a chance that I won't actually be able to in 6wk?

Yes, just because they are buying it now doesn't mean they will buy it back later, especially if a new edition comes out. Also, if a new edition is released, they may still buy it back, but at a much reduced price. I was surprised the buy-back price was so high, honestly. You may get lucky on this book, but just know you are gambling.

What you could hypothetically sell a book for and what you can get all depends on the demand of buyers. Try looking for it or the closest edition on ebay and then click on completed sales. You can see a list of how many have been purchased in the last six months. This may give you a small idea of how much the text is in demand. I don't know if Amazon has a similar feature, but I wouldn't be surprised. If it does, then definitely check it out and see how many of these things have flown off the shelf in the past year. It might be you'd get $126.00 but only after waiting 11 months for a buyer.

Faith

The bookstores on campus tend to be waaay more expensive than you can get online. I actually have to purchase my books at the bookstore because I get aid through a state agency for students with disabilities. They authorize the purchase and I just go in and pick them up, but it is frustrating to know that I could be getting them for half the price somewhere else, even though it isn't my money I am spending.:tongue_smilie:

We always buy DH's books online and have purchased/rented from several different vendors. Shipping has always been fairly quick and returns of rentals super easy.

The bookstores on campus tend to be waaay more expensive than you can get online. I actually have to purchase my books at the bookstore because I get aid through a state agency for students with disabilities. They authorize the purchase and I just go in and pick them up, but it is frustrating to know that I could be getting them for half the price somewhere else, even though it isn't my money I am spending.:tongue_smilie:

We always buy DH's books online and have purchased/rented from several different vendors. Shipping has always been fairly quick and returns of rentals super easy.

Technically, we aren't spending our money either - it's federal grant $$, but we use the leftover funds to live off of/pay bills, so it kind of is. Oy. What to do, what to do?!?