Menu

Help for anxiety

Dd needs help with her anxiety issues. I looked up providers that my insurance company pays for and there are psychologists and there are counselors. What do I need? I keep hearing about counselors, and the friends I know used a counselor and then a psychiatrist to prescribe medication. Does a psychologist do the same as the counselor/psychologist combo?

What am I looking for? No experience with this, and the ER counselor was not helpful- just said to 'find someone'.

We use a psychiatrist. She was able to prescribe meds and did behavioral cognitive therapy with dd. I am in no way an expert on that decision - but the anxiety is a medical issue and I wanted a medical doctor, kwim? I know that is terrible oversimplification, but it was comforting to me to have all of it being handled by one person.

ETA: My name is Annie too!

We use a psychiatrist. She was able to prescribe meds and did behavioral cognitive therapy with dd. I am in no way an expert on that decision - but the anxiety is a medical issue and I wanted a medical doctor, kwim? I know that is terrible oversimplification, but it was comforting to me to have all of it being handled by one person.

ETA: My name is Annie too!

That was my thought- having one person handle it eliminates any miscommunication between providers. But then other people remind me that when we do a home project, we hire different folks to do different jobs- an electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. Um. Not sure if that applies here, but then I wondered if a counselor is much less expensive than a psychiatrist and that's why they use counselors.

Is this likely a long term treatment? Or do they get it under control in like a month and then it's maintenance? Gosh I'm clueless.

I would start with a pediatrician. They can prescribe meds and refer you to a good counselor or psychologist.

Good luck!

Elise in NC

Really? Her regular doc will do that? Hmm...not sure whether I trust our doc that much. He's fine for a sinus infection or routine visits, but not so sure about this. I always kind of joke that someone has to graduate last in their class and that he was the guy. Time to suck it up and find a new doc, I'm sure.

Dd needs help with her anxiety issues. I looked up providers that my insurance company pays for and there are psychologists and there are counselors. What do I need? I keep hearing about counselors, and the friends I know used a counselor and then a psychiatrist to prescribe medication. Does a psychologist do the same as the counselor/psychologist combo?

What am I looking for? No experience with this, and the ER counselor was not helpful- just said to 'find someone'.

You need an MD for evaluating and prescribing (if appropriate) for the anxiety. That would be a GP or a Psychiatrist. Generally, neither will offer counseling/therapy.

In most cases, anxiety is complementarily treated with therapy. A counselor (Master's level, licensed) is trained and competent to provide this. A psychologist is also. I do not suggest a preference in this regard. I suggest that you decide based on:

1. Family resources (insurance, money, logistics)

2. Professional's population of experience (I would not bring an anxious child to a practitioner who does not have a lot of experience with anxiety in children)

3. "Fit" in terms of approach, personality and if they "click." Remember, though, that therapy can be, by nature, a bit uncomfortable and awkward at the start.

Thanks, Joanne. I don't know why the ER counselor recommended a counselor and not a doctor, but when I called her doctor's office, they asked if the ER put her on meds (no, they didn't) and are seeing her tomorrow. So that was a good start- all of you who responded mentioned doctors and not just counselors so I feel better starting there.

My anxiety is controlled solely through meds. I have tried many counselors over the years, but have not found it helpful. Just wanted to throw that out there. If counseling helps, great! But if not, don't be discouraged. It can be controlled through meds alone.

My anxiety is controlled solely through meds. I have tried many counselors over the years, but have not found it helpful. Just wanted to throw that out there. If counseling helps, great! But if not, don't be discouraged. It can be controlled through meds alone.

Do you take the meds as needed or routinely?

Thanks for sharing- I need all the insight I can get.

That was my thought- having one person handle it eliminates any miscommunication between providers. But then other people remind me that when we do a home project, we hire different folks to do different jobs- an electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. Um. Not sure if that applies here, but then I wondered if a counselor is much less expensive than a psychiatrist and that's why they use counselors.

Is this likely a long term treatment? Or do they get it under control in like a month and then it's maintenance? Gosh I'm clueless.

Our dr. said to plan on dd being on the meds for at least a year. Then we can evaluate and try weaning her off of them if we want. The therapy part was an 18 week program. Dd went weekly and had some homework to do as well. The thought was (and I agree) that the meds help her calm down enough to be able to apply what she was learning about dealing with her stress. KWIM? She finished the BCT and now goes monthly just to make sure she's doing alright. It has been amazing watching her apply the things she's learned. When she's in a new situation I can see her actively sort through her fears and make some rational decisions about how to deal with them. When her and dh clash (which they do quite often) I can see her stop to explain why she's upset rather than melting down into a screaming mess. It is so encouraging!!!

We know we will be moving right at the time her year on meds is up and I plan on continuing them for at least six weeks after our move. Hopefully we will be able to find a good dr. at our new place and see about getting her off of them then.

However - anxiety issues are rampant on both sides of our family. I was hesitant to start meds but have realized that it is sometimes necessary. I don't want to wean her just for my comfort level, if that makes sense. I have watched everyone in my family quit taking meds because they shouldn't need to rely on something artificial and slowly sink into depression/anxiety over and over. If they were diabetic I wouldn't encourage them to try to get off of insulin. I would rather dd remain a confident, happy girl than take her off the meds just so she won't be on meds. Does that make sense? We will reasses when we get there and go with what works.

Our dr. said to plan on dd being on the meds for at least a year. Then we can evaluate and try weaning her off of them if we want. The therapy part was an 18 week program. Dd went weekly and had some homework to do as well. The thought was (and I agree) that the meds help her calm down enough to be able to apply what she was learning about dealing with her stress. KWIM? She finished the BCT and now goes monthly just to make sure she's doing alright. It has been amazing watching her apply the things she's learned. When she's in a new situation I can see her actively sort through her fears and make some rational decisions about how to deal with them. When her and dh clash (which they do quite often) I can see her stop to explain why she's upset rather than melting down into a screaming mess. It is so encouraging!!!

We know we will be moving right at the time her year on meds is up and I plan on continuing them for at least six weeks after our move. Hopefully we will be able to find a good dr. at our new place and see about getting her off of them then.

However - anxiety issues are rampant on both sides of our family. I was hesitant to start meds but have realized that it is sometimes necessary. I don't want to wean her just for my comfort level, if that makes sense. I have watched everyone in my family quit taking meds because they shouldn't need to rely on something artificial and slowly sink into depression/anxiety over and over. If they were diabetic I wouldn't encourage them to try to get off of insulin. I would rather dd remain a confident, happy girl than take her off the meds just so she won't be on meds. Does that make sense? We will reasses when we get there and go with what works.

This was SO helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it all out. I know every situation is different but it gives me a starting point. Best wishes to your daughter- it sounds like you've got this under control. Hope that's us one day!

I take them daily, but have a stronger, emergency on hand for panic attacks. I'm glad you're getting your dd help! I wish I had gotten help younger than I did. By the time I did, at 25, it had escalated.

Thanks for the encouragement. This just started a few months ago but it sure escalated quickly. Hope we can get on the road to managing this.

Thanks for the info on what works for you- it helps me to hear it AND reassures me that she's going to be ok.

We were able to track dd's issues to diet and sleep. If she had had a lot of sugar (including wheat products) and a late night then we were sure to have severe anxiety in the next couple of days.

When we saw a counselor, he wanted to send her to a psychiatrist and put her on meds. I REALLY wanted to avoid that if possible and started tracking everything and that's what we came up with so far. It's been wonderful to see her blossom.

Just an idea.

We were able to track dd's issues to diet and sleep. If she had had a lot of sugar (including wheat products) and a late night then we were sure to have severe anxiety in the next couple of days.

When we saw a counselor, he wanted to send her to a psychiatrist and put her on meds. I REALLY wanted to avoid that if possible and started tracking everything and that's what we came up with so far. It's been wonderful to see her blossom.

Just an idea.

Certainly something to check into- thanks.

I take them daily, but have a stronger, emergency on hand for panic attacks. I'm glad you're getting your dd help! I wish I had gotten help younger than I did. By the time I did, at 25, it had escalated.

Mine is controlled through meds also, and it's my GP who handles it. Initially I had only Ativan (generic: Lorazepam) for panic attacks, but he kept pushing for me to get on something regularly. I resisted for 2 years and finally gave in. What a difference! I still keep Ativan on hand for panic attacks but I rarely need it anymore.

I hope your dd finds what's right for her.

We first went to a psychiatrist for DS who did prescribe meds and they (and she) were not a good fit. It scared me off for years.

Currently, we/he is seeing a counselor who also works with a psychiatrist - we'll be seeing her soon. He has made great progress with the counselor. He hated her at first, because she was pushing him to do things that scared him. Now that he's seen some progress, he still doesn't love her, but she's o.k.

Can you all share what a pediatrician might do/say? Will they likely want to do a blood draw?

We had an appointment but I canceled it. DD said if they wanted to do blood she'd refuse. It scares her to death. This is a strong, healthy girl. I don't believe there is anything medically wrong in the sense that she has some kind of thyroid or vitamin imbalance. I also do not see a correlation to food allergy. I can still take her in, but she is freaking at the thought of giving blood.

I am just so uncertain if what I am dealing with is truly anxiety, or a cycle of some kind. Maybe like bi-polar. I don't know how to know. There is certainly a great deal of anxiety. I don't think she's depressed. She has very down moods, but very sort-of manic ones too.

OP, can you share how you knew it was anxiety? Sorry to sound dumb. I have done reading online and it scares me more...you know how that is!

Can you all share what a pediatrician might do/say? Will they likely want to do a blood draw?

We had an appointment but I canceled it. DD said if they wanted to do blood she'd refuse. It scares her to death. This is a strong, healthy girl. I don't believe there is anything medically wrong in the sense that she has some kind of thyroid or vitamin imbalance. I also do not see a correlation to food allergy. I can still take her in, but she is freaking at the thought of giving blood.

I am just so uncertain if what I am dealing with is truly anxiety, or a cycle of some kind. Maybe like bi-polar. I don't know how to know. There is certainly a great deal of anxiety. I don't think she's depressed. She has very down moods, but very sort-of manic ones too.

OP, can you share how you knew it was anxiety? Sorry to sound dumb. I have done reading online and it scares me more...you know how that is!

:grouphug: Please stop trying to do the professional's job before you take her in to them.

Yes, in a medical evaluation, an MD should do a routine blood test to screen for issues that may mimic anxiety.

Several of the things you wrote in your quoted post are serious, and need evaluation (re: the bolded part).

Take her to an MD and go from there.

I totally know what you mean about reading online and getting more nervous about it! Information overload and no real way to sort it out.

This girl was a tad fearful since she was a young teen (this is my 20 year old, btw) - she was involved in things like spelling bees or auditions for musicals and she'd get nervous and her hands would break out in a rash, her heart would race, and if she didn't get under control, it soon lead to diarrhea. She taught herself how to stop those attacks.

Fast forward to this fall- she enrolled in a cosmetology course and every day she was filled with anxiety over class. It was bizarre- this kid had just finished a 2 year degree with honors and this course was not going to be nearly as difficult as what she'd done. She couldn't control her anxiety- which was NOT the itchy hands or upset stomach, it was totally losing control to the point of crying. She tried to remove herself from the situation and get it together and instead passed out- she was found by classmates on the floor in the locker room. So she withdrew from that course and decided to try a job instead.

She quickly found a job in the cosmetics department of a local store- it was PERFECT for her. But after a day, she was back in panic mode when she was at work. She'd call me from the bathroom, crying uncontrollably. I talked her through it and she'd finish her shift. Then she began to get upset just before leaving for work, anticipating the anxiety attack.

Her boss said she was doing a good job and increased her hours- he had no idea she was having this issue. Nobody yelled at her at work, nobody complained or treated her poorly. She just can't handle the stress.

It's so situational with her- once she's out of the situation, she calms down and rationally knows there isn't anything to be afraid of. But unlike her earlier itchy hands stress attacks, she is unable to control these and it's escalating. She needs real help. Now. So it might be something other than or in addition to anxiety but she certainly has anxiety symptoms so that's a good place to start with the doc.

Would you care to share your story? I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am to share this and not feel like the world's worst parent.

Edited by Annie G

:grouphug: Please stop trying to do the professional's job before you take her in to them.

Yes, in a medical evaluation, an MD should do a routine blood test to screen for issues that may mimic anxiety.

Several of the things you wrote in your quoted post are serious, and need evaluation (re: the bolded part).

Take her to an MD and go from there.

:iagree:

I had dd dxd with OCD, sensory issues, maybe some very mild aspergers BEFORE I ever talkes to a dr. Her true dx is GAD with OCD tendencies. I'm not a dr. and apparently I wouldn't make a good one on tv! Let the dr. do their work.

ETA: Our ped. just gave us a referral to the psych. Dds physical health was fine and she didn't question my concerns at all. Our psych here said dd could continue care after we move with a ped. if we can't find a good psych. I would not have been comfortable having dd given the meds without the counseling along with it.

Edited by TXMomof4

I would say you need to start with a psychologist for some therapy. They will work with her on learning to manage her anxiety before it becomes worse. We went through 2-3 different people to find the right match! My dd no longer goes but she used to have terrible anxiety. I would say if it is so bad that you need meds you need to be doing both meds & therapy. Your primary wouldnt be able to do that...you can usually find an office with both a dr. & psychologist. I imagine you would have to try a few different meds to get the right one. I did breathing exercises with my DD at one point as well. Mine seems to have overcome many of her ocd issues and is dealing with changes a lot easier now...not sure if it due to age?