Menu

Those w/ unconventional laundry- Join in!

By that I mean:

Wash Board

Wringer Washer

Hand Wash

We have recently given up our wringer washer (we stored in in our bedroom and hooked it up to the tub) and I am looking at getting an apartment sized washer/dryer. Id have to put it in the bathroom though since with the island, theres no room in the kitchen. We could use the apartments laundry and $1.75 to do 1 load isnt bad, but we would be doing 2 loads a day or so.

Anyone else have an unconventional laundry set up? Where do you have yours and does it work for your family or do you wish you could have a standard washer/dryer?

We have a regular washer and dryer but if we didn't it would be a combination of wearing clothes for more than one day, using sheets/blankets/towels longer, handwashing delicate or single load stuff in the sink (like car seat covers), doing laundry at friend/relative's house, doing a full load in the bathtub, and occasionally washing a load in the pay per use machine. This is what we did when we lived in an apartment. Now, with seven people, it would be much more difficult but we could get it down to a load every other day (to hand or machine wash).

Anyone else have an unconventional laundry set up? Where do you have yours and does it work for your family or do you wish you could have a standard washer/dryer?

I'm not quite sure if I fit - but for quite a while we had a combo washer/dryer like this one http://www.buy.com/prod/haier-combo-washer-dryer-13-lb-capacity/222943253.html?listingId=-1 - you put the clothes in dirty they come out clean and dry a few hours later. We still have it, but it is in a rental unit now. I really liked it, we are back at doing laundry in a pay washer and I wish we had it back. It worked for what we needed, only 110 electric and no venting possible, and a tiny space to put it in.

I used it while cloth diapering even. It took a long time to cycle through, but it's redeeming feature was that I didn't have to transfer clothes. So I could put a load in the morning, come back in the afternoon to clean clothes, and then put a 2nd load in and have that be done before bed even if we were out and about.

Guest inoubliable

Living in a rental now with ancient washer and dryer. That break down constantly. And that landlord refuses to deal with. :glare: So we finally gave up on using them.

We use a drying rack from IKEA to dry our clothes. It's usually upstairs in a bedroom during the summer months so that we can take advantage of warmer temps up there to help with drying time, and we use it downstairs in the winter to put some humidity in the air. We use the LaundryPod for most of our wash. It's not as time consuming as you'd think and it's saved us a TON of money. For example, our old washer was using about 45 gallons of water to wash a large load of 5 bath sheets. LaundryPod? Each towel goes in by itself, uses 3 gallons of water to wash, takes about 5 mins for each towel, so 25 mins altogether of swishing. Not a biggie when you consider the savings of 30 gallons of water. And that's just for towels.

Works for us, but I realize it wouldn't for many. Especially someone with a lot of littles. DH and I have already decided that if/when we buy another house that we'll be putting in one of those apartment sized washer/dryers but I don't see myself giving up the LaundryPod and drying rack.

I thought about this combo washer/dryer but it seems sort of small? 1/2 the size of a normal washer. Im just not sure how much i can actually fit in there? I dont mind washing comforters, etc in the pay washer, but id like to fit 5 people clothes + towels in 1 load a day. I could swap the washer for a slightly bigger one.

- That Laundrypod is like a wringer washer, which is neat.

The washer/dryer combo you posted HSMWB is neat BUT 2hrs to dry is a long time. ;)

Edited by Jpoy85

The one you linked to is only slightly larger in total washing/drying capability then the one that I linked to. But, IMHO - depending on the size of the people of course - it might be possible to do the clothes for the people in one load, but I think the towels would be another load. Depending on how many towels you are talking about. We did daily a load of clothes for 4 people (two adults but one adult wore mainly dry clean suits that we took to cleaners) a baby and toddler (who both went through two changes plus pj's daily (my kids seem to like to get dirty). And then a 2nd load each day which alternated between diapers (1 full time and both in night time), towels, bedding, etc.

And yes, 2 hours is a long time, but keep in mind it is also on 110 electric, the total cost was really reasonable to run it, our electric bills averaged the same/less then other families with similar sized houses with 'normal' dryers going. And - you can put it in the washer and then leave for two hours and come back and it has already started drying. While in a normal washer, after you started and left - it would still be sitting in the washer and you would have to transfer it and then push the start button on the dryer. Can you tell I really liked this aspect? - lol

My son is somewhat unconventional in his laundry approach.

He has the use of a washer and dryer in his apartment building (it's right outside his door, in the hall). BUT, the washer doesn't spin right, and the management won't fix it.

So, he doesn't use towels to dry off after showers anymore. He uses a T shirt. It cuts down significantly on both washing and drying. (It's $1.50 each, and the dryer cycle is too short.)

He also just washes his clothes, then rack dries them for a day (mind you, they are pretty wet due to the spinning issue), and THEN takes them to the laundro- mat to finish drying--usually he can dry a load for $.50 that next day. He does about 3 loads a week.

Well, I have a full sized washer and dryer, but they're housed in the hall closet, and the dryer is broken.

I've been behind on washing and we're in for days and days of rain, so I may go insane trying to get things to dry.

Why in the world did Inthrow a bunch of queen sized sheets in this morning?!?!

I have a teeny tiny washer which is the norm in this country. It can do a load about one third the size of an American washer. It has no hot water to it and no agitator in the center. I hate it.

We line dry everything then put it all in the dryer for 10 minutes to fluff it. We do this because electricity is outrageously expensive here.

I have the best washer and dryer I could get in this country. They are small and slow by US standards. I can fit about half a normal sized laundry basket per load. It takes over an hour to wash, and three hours to dry. BUT, it's better than line drying and they are very cost efficient. If I am really on top of things I can get 2 loads done in a day.

I have not once regretted splurging on these items. These 2 items alone were 25% of our furniture allowance (we had to furnish the entire house, fridge & stove included). I am very very happy we splurged and got even as good a set as we did.

We may not count, because we have a full washer/dryer, but we also have a spin dryer. I like that the spin dryer makes clothes dry quicker in the conventional dryer, but I'm sure it's more annoying to have to hang things up after drying them in the spin dryer, rather than just throwing everything in a conventional dryer. The spin dryer does need to be filled up just so in order not to unbalance it. Seems like it would be useful to people who do a lot of laundry and don't have the space to have multiple loads hanging up at once, though.

I have gotten lazy and often don't use the thing since we don't need to, and it's an extra step... so maybe I'm not the best person to sing its praises. :tongue_smilie: But anyway, it works well and gets things very nearly dry in something like 2-3 minutes.

My Brother and SIL use to sometimes use a wash board to help stretch out how long they could go between having to go do the wash at someone's house. (Starving students, visit Mom and Dad and bring laundry)

They would use it for underwear and socks. It now hangs on the bathroom wall to remind SIL about how happy she is that she now has her own machines.