Menu

Fever control question???

Okay I'm going nuts here. My kids have strep and they are fighting fevers.

11yo DS 96 lbs

5:30-3 tabs junior strength tylenol 101.5 fever

9:30-Motrin junior tabs 102.8 fever

It's still up to 102.8 right now at almost 11. Can I go ahead and give him another dose? He's miserable.

8yo DD 87 lbs

5:30pm 101.7 fever 3 junior strength tylenol

9:30 101.7 fever 3 junior strength motrin

102.1 fever now at almost 11.

The paper I got from the ER said I could give the tylenol and motrin at the same time but to space it every 4 hours for tylenol and 6 for motrin. Or should I do a dose of each every 3 hours? They are trying to sleep and miserable.

Normally fevers don't bother me but when it gets closer to the 104 mark like it's been doing we aren't messing with that. My 5yo had a 104.4 fever after meds today.

Do you mind if I ask why? (No snark intended. I'm just curious about what makes that number significant for you.) Are you worried it will go too high? Most fevers won't go over 105 unless there is neurological involvement causing the temp. Are you worried about convulsions? That is generally caused by a rapid rise in temp rather than just a high temp.

I'm another one who generally believes fever is a good thing and several of my kids where quite pyrotechnic. My youngest used to sport fevers of 104.5 every time he got the least bit ill.

On the other hand, there were times when the kids just felt flat out miserable from being hot and achy. In those cases, I would give something to make them fell better.

Our kid's urgent treatment center sent DS home with a 103.5 degree fever. Granted, they did give him some medicine and checked him out, but generally they don't do much for it because it's not considered that high. (It worries me though.)

Keep them in loose clothing, but not too cold. If the body feels drafty or cold it will make the muscles shiver, driving up the fever even more. (Found that out the hard way.) Light clothing and a sheet would be good. Also, a damp wash rag on the forehead helps feel more comfortable. Do not give *cold* baths as it can shock the body or drive the fever higher.

The high fevers concern me because of the neurological issues that come with it. My kids don't do well with high fevers too. My 8yo was almost delusional last night when she had a 103 fever and they are all miserable. I don't give medicine often or lightly but this sickness is nasty.

Keep them in loose clothing, but not too cold. If the body feels drafty or cold it will make the muscles shiver, driving up the fever even more. (Found that out the hard way.) Light clothing and a sheet would be good. Also, a damp wash rag on the forehead helps feel more comfortable. Do not give *cold* baths as it can shock the body or drive the fever higher.

:iagree:

I follow the instructions for each medicine. Write down the times and the med so you don't get mixed up during the night. If the time has lapsed for the tylenol then give it and I would give the next dose of ibu when it's due. I wouldn't wait to see how high the fever will go tonight. :grouphug: Hopefully they'll feel a little better tomorrow.