Menu

I've never heard this argument before!

So, I'm talking to MIL about how proud I am of my ds's initiative to have a lawn raking business in the neighborhood. He's conducted himself in a very professional manner with his clients and made sure they were satisfied before he accepted payment. He's one of those kids who will be an entrepreneur someday (well, I guess he is now). Anyhow, MIL says, "And that is why he should be in school! He could be the class president, a leader in the classroom, a leader in his school! You should really send him to school." So, apparently, he's well socialized in her opinion so therefore, he needs to use his excellent socialized behavior with the rest of the world!

Yes, he is a leader. He has all sorts of ideas for fun with the pack of neighborhood boys he hangs out with. Yes, he could be one of those kids who leads the pack and is when he's around others. But, I still homeschool because knowing that he is a leader, I want him to be able to continue to think out of the box and learn how to follow God so that he is not "just" a leader, but an excellent one who understands how to first be submitted to God. Somehow, homeschooling has gotten him to this good point in his life, why would we want to change that.

Have you ever run into this argument before?

Beth

bethben: So, I'm talking to MIL about how proud I am of my ds's initiative to have a lawn raking business in the neighborhood. He's conducted himself in a very professional manner with his clients and made sure they were satisfied before he accepted payment. He's one of those kids who will be an entrepreneur someday (well, I guess he is now). Anyhow, MIL says, "And that is why he should be in school! He could be the class president, a leader in the classroom, a leader in his school! You should really send him to school." So, apparently, he's well socialized in her opinion so therefore, he needs to use his excellent socialized behavior with the rest of the world!

Oh, that's hilarious. Maybe he is only like this because he is home and has to use his own initiative - something that is often removed by institutional schooling. Did Grandma ever think of that?

Yes, he is a leader. He has all sorts of ideas for fun with the pack of neighborhood boys he hangs out with. Yes, he could be one of those kids who leads the pack and is when he's around others. But, I still homeschool because knowing that he is a leader, I want him to be able to continue to think out of the box and learn how to follow God so that he is not "just" a leader, but an excellent one who understands how to first be submitted to God. Somehow, homeschooling has gotten him to this good point in his life, why would we want to change that.

Yes.

Have you ever run into this argument before?

Not really.

She's been fine with it so far, but I've seen a shift since my oldest homeschooler is now junior high age. She wonders how I can keep challenging him. Um, this is the 6th grader that is doing Algebra? And I was a secondary math education major, and one of my good friends who I am co-oping science with got a degree in secondary science education? But, even without all that, ds seems to be doing pretty good. Even when I told her that despite being a "good" junior high, there are definite issues there that make most parents cringe when they know their child is junior high age. She said, "well, that's life - it's in most places." Nope. I've never heard of my husband getting beat up in the bathroom because that's the only place free from anyone in authority.

Beth

My middle one is a leader. She is now leading activities in our church. She organized all kinds of activities for the summer college group and now she is organizing a can drive for Halloween which the young adults and the high school group will participate in. She never needed to go to school to lead either.