Menu

Kinder math?

faiths13

What do you plan to do for grades 1-6?

I was planning to use Singapore, so I went with Singapore Essential Math K. It's been an easy transition to Singapore 1A. I plan to continue that for elementary math. I have no desire to do a video-based math program though, so MUS really wasn't on my radar.

For a little 5yo person, I wouldn't do anything like MUS or Singapore or, well, anything that had workbooks or videos. I'd be looking into something like Mathematics Made Meaningful, counting real money, games that use dice and counting (e.g., Uno!, Chutes and Ladders, Sorry, Parchesi), the Wonder Number Learning System, and so on.

The New Franklin Arithmetic looks interesting, too.

I adore Miquon math for young kids. I started with that and eventually added in Singapore.

I have written a few posts and added some pictures if you care to see what Miquon and C-rods are all about.

The Switch To Miquon

More Miquon

All about C-Rods

The Complimentary Nature of Miquon paired with Singapore

Hope some of it helps. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

For a little 5yo person, I wouldn't do anything like MUS or Singapore or, well, anything that had workbooks or videos. I'd be looking into something like Mathematics Made Meaningful, counting real money, games that use dice and counting (e.g., Uno!, Chutes and Ladders, Sorry, Parchesi), the Wonder Number Learning System, and so on.

:iagree: with this to a degree. I ESPECIALLY agree that little kids should NOT be sitting around doing worksheets.

BUT, I will say that I am "using" Singapore Essentials B with my 5yo (okay, next week he's 5). It is slow and incremental and it gives me ideas about what to teach. So...mostly I'm using it for the sequence laid out. I show him everything with C Rods. We talk. about it. And then he BEGS to do the corresponding sheets. He will go through it super quickly as he loves math time.

With my oldest, though, I didn't use anything and she was fine. One of the big reasons that we do math with Emmett is because HE feels like he should have it. If that's the case, SM's EM is great.

Some 5 year olds like worksheets, and Singapore EM K is so little writing... Sometimes 2 problems on a whole page. The note on the bottom of the page usually includes games and hands on ways to discuss the topic. The worksheets are so minimal that most 5 year olds won't have a problem with them.

I used C-rods with Singapore.

I have one child who learned K math by just living life with mom and one child who needs workbooks to learn some things (including basic colors, counting, etc.). All kids are different. I wouldn't recommend subjecting a 5 year old to pages and pages of workbook work, but what's in Singapore K is incredibly light on writing. Even grade 1 is light (my 5 year old is 3/4 through 1A). Even in the upper grades, Singapore is not drill and kill, so it's good for writing phobic boys. ;)

:iagree:

And lots of card games, bead stringing, jigsaw puzzles, pattern blocks, etc. The program I might consider for my youngest when he gets to that age is Miquon. Otherwise I can't imagine a better way to learn basic skills and concepts then games and informal play.

ETA: If he wants workbooks I'd likely have some around, my daughter usd to love them, but I wouldn't bother buying a whole curriculum or spending a lot of money on them.

Edited by WishboneDawn

MEP's Reception year was fun to do with a little one. I just printed the teacher notes, and we pointed to the posters on the computer screen. The ones that required writing we cut and pasted over to Paint and drew on them with the mouse.

My last two were (are) chomping at the bit to get going with real math before they ever got to K age. MEP just slowed them down a smidgeon. After that Rod and Staff Beginning Arithmetic 1 was their first real math book. It starts with K level work and gently ramps it up to first grade. It's one whole worksheet a day, and if they're tired of it we simply put it away mid-lesson.

I would definitely try to see what you want for grade 1-6 and let that help you decide for K. I am planning to use MM and am using Right Start A for my Ker. I really am loving it. Very little writing all hands on and games and he is learning so much. It has been perfect for my ds.

I see alot mention Miquon Math, but it says its for 1st and up? So it doesnt seem like it would work for my ds. I love the look of the Singapore math for K. Also, I dont want to spend tons on curric, so I prob wouldnt do something like Right Start.

Edited by faiths13