Menu

Need dry mix ideas to send to Army son in Korea

It takes about 3-4 weeks for a package to reach my Army son in S.Korea so sending holiday home baked goodies is not an option. I would like to send some goodies though and thought some mixes where you just add water or milk would be good. I am pretty sure he has access to a stove/oven at the housing (Mrs. Mungo?), maybe a microwave. Any ideas?

Is he is barracks? They almost always have access to a full kitchen. In the baking section of the grocery store you will find lots of just add water type mixes. They are usuallypretty decent. It is harder to do those at home, I think.

Thanks. I think he is barracks. Guess I should send a pan too along with the mixes.

I served in Korea for my first assignment in the Army. I can recommend sending trail mix, sunflower seeds, boxed cookies/fig newtons, granola bars, microwave popcorn- also magazines, books, or news clippings if he is likely to enjoy them. Really any snacks that he enjoyed at home- he is likely to have access to almost the same food as he did in the US through the commissary and PX/BX. Unless he is serving far forward in the 2nd ID, he will also have access to many restaurants.

Of course, a letter or package is the absolute best thing ever when you are so far from home so put in plenty of little notes to let him know that you love him and miss him! I know you already plan to do that but I just wanted to let you know that it meant as much or more than any snacks that I ever received.

:grouphug: to you!

Actually I baked cookies and sent them to Kyrgyzstand. It took about 5 weeks for them to get there. I used that as my escuse to buy a vacume sealer. My husband said they were fine, tasted good, just a little 'compressed' and some what denser than usual.

You can send regular cookies. I think I read freezing them first so they hold their shape better. Especially if you have decorated them. Just space them out in the bag so they are not touching and seal it. They may not look as pretty, but they should taste fine and still be fresh as long as they are regular leave ina cookie jar on a counter type cookies. If they need refridgeration obviously they would go rancid then. But regular leave on the counter cookies sealed up they are fine.

So if "Mom's cookies" are the thing over just 'some cookies' that he has to make himself, that is one way to do it.

One thing for my husband, they could only open up food in their tent that they were gong to eat completely at that one sitting unless they could seal securely in a container or something. (They had rats there that lived in the tent ceiling) I sealed the cookies up in groups of three and six vs a sealed bag of 12 or something. Then he didn't have to give most of them away at that sitting.

Actually I baked cookies and sent them to Kyrgyzstand. It took about 5 weeks for them to get there.

:iagree: Cookies don't have to go overnight. Back in the days of mail going on boats, it regularly took 4-6 weeks for a package to get to Germany. The cookies never went bad, just a little crumbled. Tasted fine! Mom wrapped them in Saran Wrap in packs of four, then put all the packs in a ziploc bag. She used popcorn as packing peanuts (that did get stale.)

Supposedly, they travel better if they are a bit underdone.

I have been wanting a vacuum sealer, might be time to buy one.

Great suggestions everyone, thanks.

That was exactly my thought when I got mine. Actually it was more like, "Hmmm, if I buy the vacume sealer now, while he's gone, he won't question why we actually need it. And by the time he gets home and says "why do we need this" I can say I needed it to send him cookies!

Sort of like when Lucy would buy a dress and then hide it in the back of the closet. When she finally wore it Ricky would ask if it was a new dress and she could look at him and say "What? This old thing? It's been in the closet for ages!"

Pan, something to mix in, mixing spoon and spatula - you could get all that at a dollar store.

Good idea. The kitchens in the barracks don't have pots, pans, etc. The soldiers are expected to provide those things for themselves. You might be able to find inexpensive dorm or apartment starter kits this time of year.