Menu

Extreme Cheapskates TV show

Haven't seen this, but I admire dumpster divers. I actually tried it once, but all I got was some slightly damaged plastic storage crates. I definitely wouldn't risk getting chicken (or any animal products), but vegetables or dried/canned goods in packages would be OK. Unfortunately where I live the food selling places have their dumpsters locked up so that nobody can get at them.

I think stores should have a special area for stuff they want to discard that is still safe to use. Customers who want this free stuff could register or sign a form as a disclaimer to ensure that they take the stuff at their own risk. It's such a shame to have perfectly good stuff be thrown away while people are struggling to feed themselves.

I would guess that lots of viewers wouldn't necessarily be wannabe cheapskates, but rather just curious.

Haven't seen this, but I admire dumpster divers. I actually tried it once, but all I got was some slightly damaged plastic storage crates. I definitely wouldn't risk getting chicken (or any animal products), but vegetables or dried/canned goods in packages would be OK. Unfortunately where I live the food selling places have their dumpsters locked up so that nobody can get at them.

I think stores should have a special area for stuff they want to discard that is still safe to use. Customers who want this free stuff could register or sign a form as a disclaimer to ensure that they take the stuff at their own risk. It's such a shame to have perfectly good stuff be thrown away while people are struggling to feed themselves.

I would guess that lots of viewers wouldn't necessarily be wannabe cheapskates, but rather just curious.

It was serving questionable meat to unknowing guests that I found off-putting. I agree with the rest of your comment.

That one guy is from Cincinnati where i live but hes near Hamilton.

I think some of it is fake, some of it real and some of it an OCD type behavior. I asked Dh "how much money could they REALLY be saving" and I also asked " What are they doing with this money they saved?" -- for example the black man on there lives like hes poor BUT showed his bank accounts (16 he said) with around $200,000!!!!!! Why would you let that money sit there? How can you be that cheap and have that much money!

Im all about living frugal but these are a bit much. :willy_nilly:

Why would you let that money sit there? How can you be that cheap and have that much money!

Well, he likely has that much money because he is so frugal. He would look at a spendthrift who saves nothing or goes into debt and say how can you spend all this when you have so little?

I don't have cable and did not see the show but I tend to think most people spend far too much of their income. N

Well, he likely has that much money because he is so frugal. He would look at a spendthrift who saves nothing or goes into debt and say how can you spend all this when you have so little?

I don't have cable and did not see the show but I tend to think most people spend far too much of their income. N

The guy I was talking about could be considered a Money Hoarder. Hes taking it to such an extreme, its effecting his family he lives with. They were suppose to go to a "fine dining" restaurant but when 2 more people showed up and he realized it would be more money to take 6 people out- he went to a chinese buffet and ONLY paid for 3 plates for 6 people. Thats extreme and not frugal in any way. I dont have a ton of money but id pay for 6 people instead of being rude and cheap!

They were suppose to go to a "fine dining" restaurant but when 2 more people showed up and he realized it would be more money to take 6 people out- he went to a chinese buffet and ONLY paid for 3 plates for 6 people. Thats extreme and not frugal in any way. I dont have a ton of money but id pay for 6 people instead of being rude and cheap!

You're right, that's not frugal. In fact I'd say it's dishonest.

The guy I was talking about could be considered a Money Hoarder. Hes taking it to such an extreme, its effecting his family he lives with. They were suppose to go to a "fine dining" restaurant but when 2 more people showed up and he realized it would be more money to take 6 people out- he went to a chinese buffet and ONLY paid for 3 plates for 6 people. s extreme and not frugal in any way. I dont have a ton of money but id pay for 6 people instead of being rude and cheap!

That's what happened? I missed the last half of the show. I only saw up to the point where his aunt showed up at his house.

The dumpster diver episode was disgusting. I wouldn't eat food out of a dumpster -- especially meat. How does she know how long it was sitting there? And to throw all those meals in one big pot to heat them up? Yuck! There's a difference between being frugal and being rude. She was extremely poor hostess to her guests.

The guy I was talking about could be considered a Money Hoarder. Hes taking it to such an extreme, its effecting his family he lives with. They were suppose to go to a "fine dining" restaurant but when 2 more people showed up and he realized it would be more money to take 6 people out- he went to a chinese buffet and ONLY paid for 3 plates for 6 people. Thats extreme and not frugal in any way. I dont have a ton of money but id pay for 6 people instead of being rude and cheap!

I'd actually call that stealing. As in, a criminal offense that the restaurant could pursue criminal charges for someone committing.

I used to do the weekly runs to Trader Joe's when I was part of a church-based food co'op that collected and shared out discarded food from TJ and other contributors. Yes, we got lots of day-old stuff before it hit the dumpsters BUT it was still bagged up all in a jumble in the unrefrigerated loading dock. I had an hour drive with it in my van to get to the church where we'd spend the next couple hours unbagging stuff and sharing it out. Some stuff, like that cooked chicken or raw meats, was unrefrigerated for HOURS. No one ever got sick, but I think it was from pure dumb luck.

Thanks for mentioning this show! We don't have real TV but I ordered it on iTunes (I myself am not much of a cheapskate, LOL) and it's very interesting TV.

I've only watched the pilot and the first half of the second ep, but I really like the cheerful guy from Maryland and his "fiscal fast." That seems like it might be kind of fun and a great way to actually clean out the cupboards without trashing everything!

I watched a documentary called Dive! on netflix and was kind of surprised how into dumpster diving for food people could be.

It was interesting but I still just don't think I am comfortable with the idea of it. Although I do agree it would be better for us if the stores didn't throw so much food out.

The (different) program I saw about the freegans didn't show them literally dumpster diving. They were just wandering along the street and picking up things like bags of bread rolls, with no rubbish in sight, as far as I remember. I agree, meat would be bleugh and likely dangerous.

Gross also is the guy from Cincy who only flushed his toilet 1x a week. EWWWW. Im not even talking the " if its brown flush it down, if its yellow let it mellow" no he admitted 1 time a week.

He said it saves $30 a month. Not possible. We pay less than $30 a month on water and have 4 people using the toilet, and bathing, laundry, and I use cloth diapers. And we have a pond.

I don't believe it.

He said it saves $30 a month. Not possible. We pay less than $30 a month on water and have 4 people using the toilet, and bathing, laundry, and I use cloth diapers. And we have a pond.

I don't believe it.

I agree, that would be some mighty expensive water. But some places do have really high water rates. Our water savings are not that extreme though. More like stretch a little on the pre-puberty kid baths, shower quickly with my spouse, flush less (but not to the extent of letting solid waste sit!), use gray water when feasible for watering plants and such, use a rain barrel for the garden etc. now that we have downsized to a rental with included w/s/g, we will keep up most of these water habits just because we like to conserve water. We are nerdy nerds.

I agree that somebody not paying for everyone at a restaurant is stealing. It also sounds like contrived antics for the show.

Oh yeah, more TLC! OK. So. I saw 5 minutes of a girl who washes her t-shirts in water. OMG. lol Are you *kidding* me. As far as her bathroom habits...has anyone reading even been to another country? (and I won't mention names...but a hose is often all you get. Soap would be a luxury. )

Gosh, extreme TV is a sink hole.

I don't believe it.

In Cincy, water can average between $25-50 (of course it can be less or more). He has a room mate so he shouldnt have to pay everything himself.

Oh yeah, more TLC! OK. So. I saw 5 minutes of a girl who washes her t-shirts in water. OMG. lol Are you *kidding* me. As far as her bathroom habits...has anyone reading even been to another country? (and I won't mention names...but a hose is often all you get. Soap would be a luxury. )

Gosh, extreme TV is a sink hole.

The guy washes his clothes in the shower too and leaves the tags on. That girl has a nice idea, but you can get cheap TP for $1!