Menu

Call the Midwife fans... check in!

I just watched episode 3. I am just head over heels in love with this show. I love that they don't seem to bash anyone... while still showing the problems in such a clear light. There is nothing against religion, or family, or anything.

I loooved the nun setting up the date for Chummy! That was so hilarious!

I cried twice last night. I cried when the baby was born and the husband's reaction (I cried at that section of the book, too), and at the death. I love Chummy! I enjoyed the book and am really enjoying the show. I also like how proud they are of providing good care, and you see what a huge difference this makes to people's lives, such as the effect of bad wound care and the c-section in episode 2. It's very life-affirming.

Just finished Episode 3 while packing. I loved the father's reaction. How wonderful. I was also impressed with the midwives and the doctor, they could have shown contempt as well, but they handled it so well.

I'm really enjoying this show. I was wondering though. Is midwifery, homebirth still this prominent in England?

I love it. After the first episode I wasn't hooked, but was interested enough to see where they were going with the characters. Now I'm completely hooked.

I loved the comment that Ted didn't seem to notice, so no one else did, either.

It really is a sweet show. So rare these days.

I loved the comment that Ted didn't seem to notice, so no one else did, either.

In the book it wasn't depicted quite like that. The neighborhood men chuckled, "There's no fool like an old fool" behind his back, but no one said anything to his face. I'm still not exactly sure why it made me cry in the book and on the show, but it sure did.

Just finished Episode 3 while packing. I loved the father's reaction. How wonderful. I was also impressed with the midwives and the doctor, they could have shown contempt as well, but they handled it so well.

I'm really enjoying this show. I was wondering though. Is midwifery, homebirth still this prominent in England?

Midwifery is still prominent, when pregnant you normally don't see a doctor unless there is a problem, you just see your midwife. In the area of the UK I live in (south west) there is a relatively high rate of home births probably because we are rural and there are quite a lot of community midwifes based outside hospitals. Over the whole south west the rates are between 8% and 11% depending upon the area. The rest of the country is more like 2% or lower.

I love this show too! I am absolutely loving Chummy! :001_wub: The nun setting up Chummy with the constable was great.

I've been watching it via the PBS app. Which will also have downton when it is aired in the states.

Edited by kck

I love it.

I cried when the husband held the baby, and when Joe died. I laughed out loud when the cratchety nun set up the date.

It's become my new appointment tv show -- I actually mnissed it at 8, caught it at midnight, and learned that it repeated again at 4pm yesterday.

CTM and Homeland -- my two new shows!:001_smile: