Menu

pie crust without shortening question

I can only make descent pie crust if I use a recipe that calls for shortening. When I use butter it is never flaky unless I do all the cold this and cold that but unfortunately when I do the cold this and that it doesn't form right and cracks and falls apart before I even get it in the pan. I've tried butter recipes at least a dozen times without success.

What am I to do? For health reasons I just don't like to use shortening and pie crust is the only thing I can't get around. This wouldn't be an issue except that my dh loves pie and feeding shortening to him even if just twice a month is too often in my book.

Have you considered using coconut oil instead? That's what I use in my pie crusts. Personally I've never tasted a butter crust that I thought was good. Shortening and lard give the best most flaky crusts. I've actually used lard on occasion. I try to avoid shortening and do more "whole" food type things and usually don't have lard so I use the coconut oil and it comes out pretty good.

I use two things, depending on what I'm using the crust for. For savory fillings (like pot pies), I use Spectrum shortening. While it's non-hydrogenated palm oil, it's still not very healthy! For sweet fillings, like fruit pies, I use coconut oil. It works great! That is definitely my preference.

My stepdad uses plain old vegetable oil, and his pie crusts turn out amazing.

I also use an oil crust and have had many compliments even though I've read repeatedly that oil crusts are frowned upon. OP, even the butter crusts I managed to make flaky were not a hit here. My family prefers the oil crust. Maybe we like slumming it for pie crusts?:confused:

Could those of you who have oil based crusts share a recipe, please? I tried one once and didn't care for it. I normally combine butter and shortening. My mom only uses my grandma's shortening crust, which uses an egg and vinegar. I think it's a bit easier because you don't have the issue of temperature. I can't make super pretty edges, though.

Could those of you who have oil based crusts share a recipe, please? I tried one once and didn't care for it. I normally combine butter and shortening. My mom only uses my grandma's shortening crust, which uses an egg and vinegar. I think it's a bit easier because you don't have the issue of temperature. I can't make super pretty edges, though.

But, if I dig it out, Dh will expect me to make a pie! JK, I'll post it later. I know it is extremely simple. I should probably have it memorized.

This is the highest-rated oil-based crust on Allrecipes:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-pie-crust/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=pie%20crust&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

In the comments, they do say that if you're using it for a dessert (as opposed to a quiche or something) to reduce the salt a bit.

That looks similar to mine, but I do roll instead of patting into a pan.

I found a recipe with butter that is amazing! It uses flour and graham cracker crumbs. It always cooks up flaky and rolls out easily. I got it off of a blog, but it was a few years ago and I can't find it now....here is the recipe.

1.5 cups flour

14 tbsp butter

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs

1 cup ice water

1 egg beater with 2 tbsp water (for egg wash)

Chop the butter and freeze

Sift flour, salt, and graham cracker together

Place flour mix and butter in food processor with dough blade amd pulse.

Add water 1tbsp at a time until dough looks like coarse bread crumbs, it should not form a ball in the food processor

Remove from food processor and form into two balls

I learned about pie crust from King Arthur Flour. They have a lot of info on the website but here are a couple of links:

Oil Crust

A lemon meringue pie recipe that uses oil for the crust -- I've made this one and liked it.

All Butter Crust

Video -- uses shortening but still useful for technique

Step by step with photos (I usually fold my crust to get it into the pan as shown on this page.)