Menu

building "toys"

Kathy G

Anyone have suggestions for building sets/toys for teen boys that don't cost a fortune? We have gone through k'nex and legos. I can't spend hundreds of dollars! ;( He does do some woodwork too, so if anyone knows some beginner building/woodworking books that would be great too.

Thanks!

Kathy

At about that age, I started doing JETS, where we did a lot of engineering-type challenges using a limited materials set (things like 15 popsicle sticks, 5 yards of string,6 cells from an egg carton, and a bottle of wood glue to try to create something that would keep a raw egg from breaking when dropped from various heights), then competed with other teams. I don't know if that would be something open to your son in your area, but I would imagine similar challenges and ideas are available online.

That reminds me of Lawrence Hall of Science. My kids get stuck at the room with the Kapla blocks sometimes.

ETA - Kapla 1000 Piece Wooden Building Set. That's the one LHS has at least three boxes of.

The next time you're there, look for pictures of the 7 foot beehive. My daughter is in it. She and her friends built building-sized structures there repeatedly over the years, and the first time they did it, the staff had never seen anything like it before and photographed it for the walls. The structures were big enough to put a chair or two in, and so large that then they pulled out enough blocks to crawl out of the bottom, the structure did not collapse.

Does your library have Make magazine? Electonic kits are good. After doing some of those and figuring out how they work, he can start scrounging parts from old electronics (start saving them up now lol) and then building his own things. You can find youtube videos about how to use woodworking tools. Once he knows how to use the tools, he can make his own projects with scrap wood. The problem with books of woodworking projects is that the materials are often rather expensive if you buy them new. My sons made models of their own design with a cheap exacto knife out of oaktag and white glue well into their late teens. If you score and fold it, it looks like plate metal and makes great airplane models. To get started, you could buy a Dover book of cardboard models. Here is a list: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dover+cut+%26+assemble&sprefix=dover+cut%2Caps%2C350 Once he's put together a few designed by someone else, he should be able to design his own. The book Backyard Balistics is popular, if you have lots of space and your son is the careful sort.

As you can see, I have a family of builders. : )

Nan

serendipitous journey--We have a ton of woodworking supplies-dad and Grandpa are do it yourselfers. We have also learned to stop at new home developments because there will be a lot of wood in dumpsters (gross I know!)

Nan in Mass- LOVING the Make magazine idea- do you know it well? Should we start at the beginning or go with current issues. My library doesn't have it in stock so I will have to order them to be sent from another branch (3 at a time only) otherwise we would just go browse them!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

Kathy