Menu

Can they do this?

I just got a call from the middle school where my dd has been allowed to join the choir as a homeschooler. The school nurse wants a copy of dd's 6th grade physical and immunization record.

Well I don't have one. And even if I did I don't think I should have to show it. Getting an updated physical is no problem since my plan was to take her sometime this month anyway, but I do resent having to show it.

I told the nurse that I would not provide this information, and if it was required then I would pull her from choir. She asked me not to pull her before she had an opportunity to speak with her contact with the state BOE to make sure the physical really was required. Why didn't she do that first?

When we enrolled dd in choir the principal told me that if she wanted to participate in sports they would need a physical on hand, but it wasn't necessary for choir. I understand the logic behind that. Does your state require a physical on hand for non athletic extracurricular participation?

When we lived on base we could participate in anything in the DOD schools. That meant choir, clubs, use the library or be in classes. To do any of that we needed updated immunization records, which I totally understand them wanting to see. I don't remember needed physicals. Sports were handled by the youth center not the school so there was no cross over so they would have needed completely seperate copies of physicals and immunization.

The reason she didn't check before telling you she needed them is because she needs them for everyone esle. Everyone else has to turn them in. They don't question it because they don't have a choice. The nurse is unfamilar with working with people that question their requests, much less refuse them. You are out of her realm of normal experience.

We are not even allowed to participate in public school stuff here as homeschoolers, so I would just provide it and move on if I were allowed to let my kids to participate. We pay for choir through a local university program, is that an option for you? We do not have to provide anything in the way of immunizations records or physicals.

The school nurse was just following the rules. Student = physical and immunization record. That is why she did not ask the question before speaking with you.

I don't see it as a big deal. If you don't vaccinate use a waiver and move on with your life. This is not a hill I would be willing to die on.

The school nurse was just following the rules. Student = physical and immunization record. That is why she did not ask the question before speaking with you.

I don't see it as a big deal. If you don't vaccinate use a waiver and move on with your life. This is not a hill I would be willing to die on.

:iagree: Exactly what I was going to say.

Most likely there is a form for you to fill out to exemption her from the requirement.

I'm not aware of any form for exemption other than religious reasons, and we wouldn't try to claim that. Years ago dh and I wanted to wait on the chicken pox vaccine, but we were forced by the district to vaccinate when dd entered kindergarten there. Now that she is a homeschooler, which in our state is a private school, I thought all medical records resided with the school of attendance. I have such a visceral reaction to this request and I will honestly feel bullied if I have to cough up those records. Ugh.

What is this waiver a couple of you have mentioned? If there is any other waiver besides for religious reasons please let me know.

The reason she didn't check before telling you she needed them is because she needs them for everyone esle. Everyone else has to turn them in. They don't question it because they don't have a choice. The nurse is unfamilar with working with people that question their requests, much less refuse them. You are out of her realm of normal experience.

This makes sense. I really try not to be a pita, but I struggle with that sometimes.

From an *institutional* standpoint in 2012, they need to have complete files. If a student on site has asthma, they need to know. If a student has a history of seizures, they need to know. They *also* need to know if the medical history is FREE of issues. Such documentation is simply the reality of public institutions in 2012. It's not personal, it's routine.

You've engaged with the system. That's a valid choice (I made it several times as a homeschooler). As such, though, you *also* chose to engage with the rules, policies, and regulations of that entity.

You can't have it both ways; you can't engage with the system and expect custom regulations.

Whether or not schools *should* require that info is a whole other debate, and actually not pertinent to this thread.

From an *institutional* standpoint in 2012, they need to have complete files. If a student on site has asthma, they need to know. If a student has a history of seizures, they need to know. They *also* need to know if the medical history is FREE of issues. Such documentation is simply the reality of public institutions in 2012. It's not personal, it's routine.

You've engaged with the system. That's a valid choice (I made it several times as a homeschooler). As such, though, you *also* chose to engage with the rules, policies, and regulations of that entity.

You can't have it both ways; you can't engage with the system and expect custom regulations.

Whether or not schools *should* require that info is a whole other debate, and actually not pertinent to this thread.

I understand everything you said here and agree with it, to a point. There is (troubled) history between my family and the district. When we made the choice to request extracurriculars we went into it with the hopes of bridging our differences and starting clean. I made an appointment with the principal so I could learn all of the particulars of a homeschooler participating in extracurricular activities. He told me he wanted to speak with the superintendent prior to sitting down with me so that everyone was on the same page. No problem. There were required forms (emergency contact, health information, student/parental information, etc.), which we filled out and returned. There were other forms which would only be required if dd chose to participate in an activity which was governed by the middle school association, including sports, speech, cheerleading. The principal made a big deal out of the fact that more detailed health information, such as a physical or immunization records, would NOT be needed if all she wanted to do was choir.

Perhaps the nurse was not aware of that conversation, but I know dd is not the first homeschooler to participate in extracurriculars, so it bothers me. I'm not a rule dodger, but I intentionally made an appointment so that I had all of the information upfront. We may have made a different choice about dd's participation had we known beforehand.

The principal made a big deal out of the fact that more detailed health information, such as a physical or immunization records, would NOT be needed if all she wanted to do was choir.

Perhaps the nurse was not aware of that conversation, but I know dd is not the first homeschooler to participate in extracurriculars, so it bothers me. I'm not a rule dodger, but I intentionally made an appointment so that I had all of the information upfront. We may have made a different choice about dd's participation had we known beforehand.

The principal made a mistake. It's a public health issue. The nurse is coming from a public health perspective. The Board of Education, who checks records, is going to have a public health perspective. They might make an exception for you, but legally and medically, they shouldn't.

ETA: I'm just referring to immunizations. Most districts require a health form, but only require a physical for athletics, although they encourage them for everyone.

Edited by Perry

Our state requires proof of physicals for all kids entering certain grades. Not to play sports- just to attend. And a dental exam for certain grades, too.

Same here, and if the child does not have certain vaxes (or the appropriate waiver), they are turned away. State law-no compromise, just the way it is.