Menu

Gifts for older teens & college students

What kind of things do you all do for gifts that are NOT money or gift cards. We'll do a little of that but want to do other things. For the oldest, who will graduate from college soon, I'm buying things he'll need when he gets his first place. For Christmas, his big gift is a nice bookshelf. Need ideas for the younger one....

Computer/gaming system games & accessories

Stuff from ThinkGeek

Books

Tickets to an event/show/sporting event/concert

Hoodies/tees w/ favorite games/sports/etc... on them

Dvds (my nephew likes getting season dvds of fave tv shows)

Funky food items to try

Magazine subscriptions

Thanks! Younger son would love things from ThinkGeek. We did buy them tickets to a concert (Disney at the symphony, they're both still Disney fans, and we get to go too!).

• 7 months later...
Guest Professional Games

How about a fun, board game for the lawyer wannabes? The LAWSUIT! board game makes a fabulous, unique, gift for older teens and college students. It's fun and exciting-- a great game to have in one's dorm room. LAWSUIT! teaches what it's like to be a lawyer and run a small business It's won 6 "Game of the Year" awards.

Since we have boys, here's a guy list:

- nice knife

- items for hiking/camping -- nice fanny pack and equip it; backpack; lightweight camping sleeping bag and pad; etc.

- sports items -- fishing equipment, tennis racket and bag, etc.

- gym membership

- start building their tool collection for when they move out

- items for living on their own (if of college age)

- air-softing equipment, camoflauge clothing, etc. (middle school/high school age)

- "meaningful" or "heirloom" type of gift (special item that belonged to you, or to a grandparent; pocket watch or titanium ring engraved with their name, etc.)

- group board games -- a lot of college students enjoy late night gaming (Fluxx card games, Settlers of Catan, Dix-It, Pictionary, Balderdash, etc.)

- tickets to a special event they would want to attend

- fun t-shirts

- bound book of favorite comic strip

- newest book in their favorite series

- DVDs of movies or TV series they like

- things that need to be replenished -- like BBs/paintballs for air-softing/paintballing, or ammo if they go target shooting

I know you said other than money and gift cards, but our DSs really enjoy getting I-Tunes gift cards, gift cards to Steam (gaming download), and to several favorite restaurants, coffee places, and fast food places they like to stop at while out with friends.

I gave my cousin a Betty Crocker (you know the red one that has everything basic in it) cookbook when she graduated from College. I think it was well received and proved quite useful while she was starting out on her own. I know the one I have is still my most used recipe book even when I just need to remember how long to hard boil an egg. Or, maybe a book of all his favorite recipes mom makes or ones you know he could make easily. Got to keep those college grads fed. :)

• 2 years later...
Guest Scarlett145
I've given gift cards for gas to my friend’s boys over sixteen. They are all responsible for their own gas and while they work, every little bit helps. (Boys who have recently turned sixteen and started to drive seem to like it best.)

Lanyard to the college of their choice, hoodies, travel coffee mugs, bean bag chairs, earbuds, organizers - whether it is a new planner, calendar, bulletin board, dry erase board, pen/pencil holder, sticky notes, etc., milk crates are handy too.  Gloves with smartphone touch pads for those going to college in cold areas, books, super sturdy cases for their smartphone/tablet, or a keyboard thing for their tablet if they have one, books, more books - the fun stuff because they'll be spending $$ on class books.  Meh.  Costco, if you remember to pick it up - carries REALLY great backpacks in August.  They are incredibly heavy and sturdy and have a protected area for a laptop.  Each of my older kids have appreciated this.  Pick one up for Christmas.  

More expensive options:

Coffee makers & flavor oils, GPS, laptop, the iHome alarm clock if they have an iPhone or an iPod - handy because of the clock and the speaker system, a tablet if they don't have one.  My DD prefers taking her tablet to campus rather than her laptop.  It's so much easier to carry around.  

I know gift cards aren't as fun to give, but they really are appreciated. College kids cut a lot of spending and it gives them the freedom to spoil themselves - coffee shops, lunch out at a favorite spot, gas to free up other cash. ;)  Maybe just wrap them creatively? 

Edited by BlsdMama