Menu

LDS moms: change in missionary ages

I'm always curious what people mean when they refer to preparing their sons (or now, daughters) to serve a mission. What does it mean? And why weren't we doing it for our daughters in the first place? What extra preparation are girls entitled to now that they're more likely to serve missions? Why didn't they need it before? Just curious.

Well, it has been on my mind since yesterday that I would like to help my children, boys and girls, work through Preach My Gospel, a book/program produced by the church to help missionaries prepare to share the gospel, during their high school years. It was emphasized that families should be playing a major role in helping children prepare to serve missions, and Preach My Gospel was specifically mentioned (can't remember if that was during the General Conference announcement or during the Press Conference). If the eligibility ages hadn't changed that might have seemed less of a priority, especially for girls, during the high school years, because while the church has encouraged all members to study the book (as we all have a responsibility to share the gospel with others) it is especially designed for full-time missionaries. A daughter who might or might not serve and wouldn't even be eligible until age twenty-one would have time to study the program after high school, but if she may be going at 19 I would encourage her along with my sons to work through the book during their high school years.

I also think the younger ages for both boys and girls will spur me to really teach life skills while they are in my home--cooking, cleaning, shopping, laundry, health. Of course I have always intended to teach all those things, but I feel a greater urgency if they may be living not only away from home in a college dorm or apartment but potentially in a foreign country with minimal support structure immediately after high school graduation.

Wow! I'm not sure how I missed hearing about this new curriculum, but I am so excited about this. I can't wait to dive into studying it myself!

I was one of those 21 year olds who refused to go on a mission just because I wasn't married...all I had ever wanted was to get married and become a mom...and when it didn't happen according to MY plan, I didn't want to accept that cultural 'stigma' that I was an old maid. But an interesting thing happened a few weeks after my 21st birthday...my heart was incredibly touched and I was most definitely inspired to go.

My mission certainly wasn't easy, but it was such a powerful learning experience. I knew I would always encourage my daughters to go...such a great foundation for marriage, continued gospel learning, etc. I reject the idea that a mission is the only way to gain such a foundation, but it surely is a condensed version of life experiences!

As for the change in ages, I've also felt a little worried that I now may have to part with my boy a year earlier! However, I have seen several instances where that gap year (or few months) has been a time of concern rather than a time of mission prep. My dh has been involved w the young single adults in our stake and there really are a lot of concerns with this age group--so he was so excited to hear this and feels it is inspired and extremely relevant to this day and age.

Can't wait for today's sessions!

19yo daughter is SUPER excited. She has always wanted to serve a mission and was bemoaning having to wait two more years. This change came as a blessing, as she has been having difficulty the past few months choosing two different and desired career paths with schooling. Now she happily knows which path to take, and it isn't either of those . . . . Right now, anyway. :)

I'm always curious what people mean when they refer to preparing their sons (or now, daughters) to serve a mission. What does it mean? And why weren't we doing it for our daughters in the first place? What extra preparation are girls entitled to now that they're more likely to serve missions? Why didn't they need it before? Just curious.

My comment was very individual. Her communication skills, specifically writing, need to be strengthened. She is strong in the gospel, so I wasn't referring to spiritual preparation.

My comment was very individual. Her communication skills, specifically writing, need to be strengthened. She is strong in the gospel, so I wasn't referring to spiritual preparation.

Ah, I see. Sorry if my comment came across as critical. I certainly didn't mean it that way about you or anyone else specifically. It's just something I've heard people saying all my life, making reference to preparing their boys to serve missions.

I served a mission, and the best preparation for that, I think, involves:

-developing a testimony (obviously)

-studying the gospel (obviously)

-learning to be obedient

-learning self-discipline (oh, the self-discipline!)

-being emotionally healthy and independent (the mission can be a difficult and lonely place and you don't get to talk to your mom all that much)

-developing a strong work ethic

-learning to love and not judge, understanding differences, etc.

-developing patience and the ability to get along with people (some companions are...a challenge)

These are things girls should be learning as well as boys. I just don't think that "preparing boys" to serve missions likely involves specific proselyting techniques, you know? It's about study, prayer, obedience, and hard work.

Edited by infomom

Ah, I see. Sorry if my comment came across as critical. I certainly didn't mean it that way about you or anyone else specifically. It's just something I've heard people saying all my life, making reference to preparing their boys to serve missions.

-learning to be obedient

-being emotionally healthy and independent (the mission can be a difficult and lonely place and you don't get to talk to your mom all that much)

-developing patience and the ability to get along with people (some companions are...a challenge)

These are things girls should be learning as well as boys. I just don't think that "preparing boys" to serve missions likely involves specific proselyting techniques, you know? It's about study, prayer, obedience, and hard work.

I totally agree with you. Both young women and young men need to be taught these things. For me, the difference is in the goal. It seems that we often focus on missionary service for young men and marriage and motherhood for young women. If we stick with something like your list, it helps prepare all youth for whatever the worthwhile goal is- whether it's a mission soon after high school, marriage and parenthood later on, working, getting a good education, etc. Make being a good person the goal.

-learning to be obedient

Thank you for sharing your list. It is wonderful! :)

My dd is at UVU and she was saying that so many girls were super excited and ready to turn in their papers this week. She does not feel led to serve a mission and won't be doing so. Just because you're a 19 year old female doesn't mean that's your new course in life now. I never felt led to go on a mission either.

I also never felt led to go on a mission. I turned 21 and considered it but didn't really feel like I should go. As it happens, I met my husband a few months later (and I was NOT planning on getting married--that was a surprise for sure! I was too nervous about the whole idea of marriage to worry about old-maid-dom, which we considered silly and outdated).

I have two girls and have never really worried about whether they would go or not. If that's what they feel like they should do, then yay! If they do something else neat, then yay!

So excited about the change. I started crying while they were announcing it - good tears. I am excited about the choices this will make available for kids who are at a crossroads; trying to weigh school or career or mission options. It would have been better for my returned missionary because he was just sort of marking time while waiting to turn 19 and then was in the midst of some schooling so ending up not leaving until almost 20. My younger son's birthday falls at the same weird time of year, so he is excited that he can just graduate and go. For us it is a good opportunity.

As far as preparation, let me share a few things my daughter, who is on a mission right now, sent in her letter last week. Teach them:

1) how to navigate an airport

2) how to read a map

3) how to pick up a prescription

4) how to find things in a grocery store

5) how to initiate a conversation with a stranger

6) how addresses work (odd and even on sides of the street, and they go in order by 5's or 2's or 10's)

She also tells me at least once a month to have my youngest reading Preach My Gospel, cover to cover as many times as he can before he leaves. It is good to have missionaries come into the field prepared and not waste time teaching them the gospel in the MTC, but be able to teach them how to teach and have them get to work first day in the field.

Conference in general has been lovely. There has been so much emphasis on the Savior, on being valiant, and on how much He loves us.

If you figure out how to teach this last please do let me know!

Yeah...um....ds is an Aspie and this has been a quest of mine for the past 15 years. Great progress has been made (he discovered that the kid on the other side of the kid next to him in seminary this semester is the same kid he threw a chair at in kindergarten, and was glad to have the chance to apologize). But although we're mostly non-violent these days, I don't think we're yet to the point where most "normal" kids are with regards to space sharing. We have to do our social things in small doses with him.

Dd, on the other hand, is an attention HOUND and needs to learn to sometimes give people a little space.

It makes for interesting sibling dynamics.

I am glad to see this. I knew many girls that wanted to serve, but didn't want to be too far into their careers and then possibly married. Now I know many that will serve then return for school. We are lightly encouraging our daughter to go...I think it would be a great growth experience for her.

I am glad to see this. I knew many girls that wanted to serve, but didn't want to be too far into their careers and then possibly married. Now I know many that will serve then return for school. We are lightly encouraging our daughter to go...I think it would be a great growth experience for her.

:iagree: My oldest wants to go and now it will be much more practical.

I think a few basic skills in cooking, cleaning, laundry, frugal shopping, and sharing space with other human beings in a pleasant manner is also part of mission prep. ;)

Without a doubt :) These others are just things that don't get taught much and have been causing complications. They also had a class on basic personal grooming because some of the girls were not looking pleasant and professional and presenting themselves well to the public. The more I see what they need to be able to do to be successful, the more I am amazed so many do it at all. They seem like such young punk kids, and yet lives are changing because of them.

Without a doubt :) These others are just things that don't get taught much and have been causing complications. They also had a class on basic personal grooming because some of the girls were not looking pleasant and professional and presenting themselves well to the public. The more I see what they need to be able to do to be successful, the more I am amazed so many do it at all. They seem like such young punk kids, and yet lives are changing because of them.

Young punk kids. :lol: Dh cut his hair into a mohawk on P-day for a few hours or so before he really had his proper haircut.

Ya know, I just thought of another potential benefit of the earlier mission eligibility rules: kids who save for a mission will be able to use those savings for their intended purpose without paying a penalty in the amount of financial aid available for college. Most schools assess any student savings at 50% when determining the expected student contribution to educational costs, which would mean either depleting a mission fund or coming up with that extra money some other way. A student who serves their mission before starting school would use up those savings in the manner intended, without being penalized in school financial aid determinations.

This is actually something I have worried about when thinking of mission funds for my kids, so I'm quite relieved.

:iagree: My oldest wants to go and now it will be much more practical.
My DD8 announced three or four years ago that she was going to go on a mission to China. We've explained that she'd probably have to be called to Taiwan. She insists, "China."

Ya'll wouldn't mind praying a little extra hard that China will be opened to missionaries in the next 11 years, would ya? ;) :D