Menu

Geomety: Do they forget Algebra???

Okay, we started our new school year two weeks ago and I am already a little worried.

If we are spending a whole year on geometry, are the boys going to forget too much of their algebra?

How do you handle this? Do you mix in some algebra each week for review? Do you cover geometry in less than a year?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom:confused:

Last year, my dd completed TT Geometry and Saxon Algebra 2. I treated them as two separate subjects with one lesson to be completed in each every day. Dd did very well and is taking Precalculus this year.

Ds just started following this same pattern except that he's using Lial's Intermediate Algebra instead of Saxon. He's past the first chapter in each and is doing well.

HTH.

Bev,

So you completed both courses in a year....one lesson from each book everyday? How much time did that take? Was there a lot of duplication since the Saxon includes geometry?

Just thinking out loud: Could I alternate weeks with one week in the geometry book and then another week in Algebra II and take two years to complete both this way? I think for my boys that doing two lessons in math each day would take away from what we are doing in other subjects.

Just trying to sort this all out in my mind.

Barb

Bev,

So you completed both courses in a year....one lesson from each book everyday? How much time did that take? Was there a lot of duplication since the Saxon includes geometry?

Just thinking out loud: Could I alternate weeks with one week in the geometry book and then another week in Algebra II and take two years to complete both this way? I think for my boys that doing two lessons in math each day would take away from what we are doing in other subjects.

Just trying to sort this all out in my mind.

Barb

They complete one lesson in both maths every day. By the end of our school year (40 week school year) both subjects were done. Geometry finished a little earlier than Alg. 2, but it was fine.

Yes, Saxon's Alg. 2 does have geometry in it. For those problems my dd watched the corresponding TT geometry video (she said TT explained it better than Saxon) and completed the problems.

The beauty of homeschooling is that you can do whatever works for you and your dc. You can alternate days so that your dc are doing alg 2 one day and geometry the next, or you can alternate weeks I suppose. One thing to be wary of I would think is if you stretched it out over two years, by the time they get to the final exam they may forget what was in the beginnng.

My dd did a lot, too, last year as far as her schedule went. She had 12 classes, including one AP class. It's entirely doable.

HTH.

I am having my boys spend 5 minutes at the beginning of their Geometry hour doing an Algebra review. For the child reviewing Algebra I he is using the chapter tests from an Algebra I textbook. For the child reviewing ALgebra II (long, boring story of how they both ended up doing Geometry the same year) he is using the do these in 5 minute set of problems that are at the beginning of each section of his Algebra II book (Foerster)

Algebra is a pre-req for Geometry because the student often has to use Algebra skills to solve Geometry problems.

:iagree:

We did Geometry last year and we used so much Algebra during the year, there was simply no way he could have forgotten it.

I don't know if I'd do a whole Algebra textbook, if it were me (we aren't real big math nuts over here), but there are several internet sites where you could print out some free Algebra worksheets and have your student do them once or twice a week . . . just a thought.

Okay, we started our new school year two weeks ago and I am already a little worried.

If we are spending a whole year on geometry, are the boys going to forget too much of their algebra?

How do you handle this? Do you mix in some algebra each week for review? Do you cover geometry in less than a year?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom:confused:

I'm hoping that the algebra review at the end of each chapter in Jacob's Geometry will be enough. I almost want to do Alg II concurrently, though. Has anyone ever done that?

DD used TT geometry 4 days a week. On the 5th day she'd do a Algebra test. If she got a certain concept wrong she'd review that concept by doing a few problems during the week. She still managed to complete geometry early by doubling up on lessons. Then for the month of May she watched the Chalkdust Algebra 2 DVDs for concepts she felt needed a refresher.

For my next one doing Geometry, I'm considering having him work through Key to Algebra. Thinking about it.....

Guest Katia

I had the same fears the my dc would forget algebra while doing a year of geometry. With my oldest dd, she did TT algebra 2 and TT geometry concurrently, one subject every-other-day for two years. It worked very well for her.

Last year, my youngest dd did TT geometry 4 days a week and LOF Adv. Algebra once a week. Well, that was the plan anyway, lol. She liked the LOF so much that she ended up doing it a lot more.

I think it really helped them to keep up with their algebra along with doing a geometry program.