Menu

sports moms--cold weather question and others

Ds has a baseball tournament this weekend. The weather for Sunday is predicted to be 40 degrees in the morning. He's never played when it was that cold. what can he wear to play in??? He has an under armor shirt, but that doesn't seem like it would be enough. He can't wear something over his uniform and I can't imagine wearing thermal underwear to play in.

Second question--he has two games on Sat. with a two hour break in between. What is good to eat in that time? Also, what should he do in that break time? It's a bit too much down time and would be easy to lose his energy/oomph.

So, those of you who have btdt, can you help out this clueless mom? :001_smile:

Underarmour shirt under the jersey, with a jacket or sweat shirt to put on when he's in the dugout. Cold hands are more of a problem in baseball - we often use those chemical hard warmers in the jacket/sweatshirt pockets.

With a 2 hour break between games, I would probably feed mine a sandwich (lots of protein) and plenty to drink.

Underarmour shirt under the jersey, with a jacket or sweat shirt to put on when he's in the dugout. Cold hands are more of a problem in baseball - we often use those chemical hard warmers in the jacket/sweatshirt pockets.

With a 2 hour break between games, I would probably feed mine a sandwich (lots of protein) and plenty to drink.

:iagree: UnderArmour ColdGear is sufficient for my boys. The handwarmers are a great idea.

UnderArmour Coldgear is definitely the way to go. Bring a hoodie or warm-up jacket for when he's not playing.

When my boys have breaks between games, they either stay, hang around with their friends and watch the other games, or we take a bunch of the boys to Subway for lunch. I would keep your options open about what to do in that time - just bring a sandwich and a gatorade, and go with the flow. :)

This was a long time ago, and there's probably something more technologically advanced, but the boys I used to show horses with would wear pantyhose under their breeches in cold weather. They were too embarrassed to buy their own, so they'd send me to the 7-11 to pick up several pairs of "queen-sized nylons, any color. And don't tell anybody. There's a slurpee in it for ya."

Another vote for under armour cold gear. If you don't have time to pick it up, thermal underwear is good too. And chemical handwarmers are great if you can find them (Sams carries them), warm coats and thick gloves for bench time, and stocking caps.

We have a tournament this weekend and it will be cold. One of my sons will be using his old bat since composites can't be used under 40 degrees. I am packing a thermos of hot chocolate for him as well!

Hope your cold weather games went well this weekend! Here's another word to the wise: hand warmer packets will stain white baseball pants if some one who shall not be named leaves them in a pocket through the wash. Grrrr. I'm used to digging out sunflower seeds in the bottom of the washer but this was a new one!

My bunch usually wears an UA type shirt and keeps a jacket in the dugout.

As for between games, I agree with previous poster, take a sandwich and gatorade and just go with the flow. You may end up going somewhere or just sitting in the car. The coach may have plans for the team.

Don't forget to take your cold weather gear. A blanket would be nice too. Either to put over your legs or to sit on.

Thanks all! We had a great weekend. The team won the tournament! Woo hoo! Pretty good, since their record was 1-3 going into the tournament.

The weather was predicted to be 70s and maybe some light showers on Sat. Sunday was supposed to be miserable--40s and raining. Well, Sat. started out nice, but got drizzly, high winds, and all that made it cold. Sunday was fine. Go figure.

I got ds a cold gear shirt and he hated it. He wouldn't wear it, but fortunately it wasn't cold enough to wear it on Sunday. On sat. we didn't have it anyway as I wasn't expecting to need it. I'm going to try to return it.

Thanks for the hand warmer tip. Ds really liked having those, but I will make sure they don't go through the wash.

We ended up going out to eat with most of the team on Sat. On Sunday there wasn't enough time between games for that, so we had a bite there. I definitely think less break time between games is better.

Thank you for all the suggestions. We still have some more baseball to play this year so I will be using your tips.