Menu

Land Lines???

As a background. When we moved to the new place we got Fios phone. Hated it. We were fortunate that we got in under the 30days and were able to drop it without penalty. Then hubby wanted to save money (land-lines ARE expensive) and we went with an internet phone (Netphone). It has been a major pain since we got it back in Feb. MAJOR. I put up with it because it was so much cheaper than a land-line. Now the line doesn't even work! Anyway, I just want my good old land-line back.

So today, I spent 30min on the phone with Verizon trying to get a land line. I never even got to the point where I could discuss service options!! Ugh. I finally had to go because it was time to pick up my son (I figured 35 mins was enough time to get info. etc... apparently I'm wrong). What a pain... I cannot believe they treat potential customers this way :confused:

I've looked online but it seems that Verizon is the only land-line service in my area...but perhaps I'm overlooking something. I'm hoping maybe someone here, who is more internet savvy, can point me in a good direction to look for other options (did an internet search myself though).

I'm really gun shy about trying Verizon after this experience.

Just curious what you hated about the FIOS phone? and are you sure you cant sign up for it on line? I've had Verizon for my phone forever and have had no problems. But if you want local phone service, you need to ask ppl who live near you

As a background. When we moved to the new place we got Fios phone. Hated it. We were fortunate that we got in under the 30days and were able to drop it without penalty. Then hubby wanted to save money (land-lines ARE expensive) and we went with an internet phone (Netphone). It has been a major pain since we got it back in Feb. MAJOR. I put up with it because it was so much cheaper than a land-line. Now the line doesn't even work! Anyway, I just want my good old land-line back.

So today, I spent 30min on the phone with Verizon trying to get a land line. I never even got to the point where I could discuss service options!! Ugh. I finally had to go because it was time to pick up my son (I figured 35 mins was enough time to get info. etc... apparently I'm wrong). What a pain... I cannot believe they treat potential customers this way :confused:

I've looked online but it seems that Verizon is the only land-line service in my area...but perhaps I'm overlooking something. I'm hoping maybe someone here, who is more internet savvy, can point me in a good direction to look for other options (did an internet search myself though).

I can't imagine where you might be where there are no more Bell landlines. (Ma Bell, Baby Bells...aka AT & T). Under $30 a month.

We got rid of our land lines after a lot of phone trouble (old wiring in the house), and we both just have our cell phones. We have a Tracfone as a sort of house/third phone. It works pretty well. My only concern is what happens if I call 911--haven't figured that one our yet and don't want to just call for no reason.

Is that an option for you guys?

Just curious what you hated about the FIOS phone? and are you sure you cant sign up for it on line? I've had Verizon for my phone forever and have had no problems. But if you want local phone service, you need to ask ppl who live near you

and

I'm wondering what you didn't like about Fios or internet phone. I only say that because when we first got our internet phone it didn't work right. We had to have them come back about 20 times to make it right. Seriously. I was beyond mad. It came down to old equipment that they finally replaced since they tried everything else. Since then it's as good as land line. So I'm convinced it is supposed to be as good, not that it's normal for it to be worse.

Fios was echoy and I hated the delay (it's one of the things I hate about my cell phone). I was always interrupting the other person on the line.

NetPhone, was worse echo... sometimes the phone would work - other times...no. The line would be dead... we'd have to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in again... now that doesn't even work. The phones are brand new. Did I mention it echoed - like REALLY echoed - several times. Then if you happened to be talking with someone for longer than say - 5 mins it would start to loop back the conversation! and/or it would sound like you were talking under water - very bubbly.

I have considered the possibility of a cheapy cell phone just for the house. This would be helpful for my 11yr old who doesn't have his own phone yet, but is sometimes at home alone.

$30 for AT&T!!! Wow, I can only find Verizon for $54 a month! I know,it's very expensive. I looked online, but I want to see if I can keep the phone number I have (or our old land-line number we had for 20yrs)... I think I need to speak to a human for that. But, I could be wrong.

Our total for a landline with AT&T is $30. It's a local line - no long distance service (we use cell phones for that), and we have no extra services (no caller ID or call waiting, etc.)

I think we are one of the few that still have a land line. But in the aftermath of a hurricane, we still had our land line while all the cell towers were out of commission. I'm a little reluctant to give it up yet.

We got rid of our land lines after a lot of phone trouble (old wiring in the house), and we both just have our cell phones. We have a Tracfone as a sort of house/third phone. It works pretty well. My only concern is what happens if I call 911--haven't figured that one our yet and don't want to just call for no reason.

Is that an option for you guys?

You should be able to find a local number for your 911 support services. Lots of places are now able to locate you via your cell phone.

Our total for a landline with AT&T is $30. It's a local line - no long distance service (we use cell phones for that), and we have no extra services (no caller ID or call waiting, etc.)

I think we are one of the few that still have a land line. But in the aftermath of a hurricane, we still had our land line while all the cell towers were out of commission. I'm a little reluctant to give it up yet.

What I saw from Verizon is they had something like that for DC itself but not for the outlying Metro area (for 10bucks!!). This was one of the things I wanted to talk with someone on the phone about. I wanted to double check that I had read it right and I was only available to those living in the city itself, which I do not.

We have Verizon for our land line. I had to work a little to make the guy understand that when I said I want dialtone, that's really all I wanted (we don't pay for incoming calls, and if I have to dial 911, I'll invest the 10 cents). It's, $11 a month with alll the taxes and everything.

I can't imagine where you might be where there are no more Bell landlines. (Ma Bell, Baby Bells...aka AT & T). Under $30 a month.

I can't imagine that, either. :001_huh:

We have...I think it's ATT. Those companies keep buying each other out and changing names, lol.

I have no intention of getting rid of the landline.