Menu

For those of you that use a white board for math...

Lots of boys

O.k. we have had two wonderful days of math (which followed lots and lots of days of crying and misery) just simply because I am taking MM and doing the teaching exclusively on our big white board. After I teach the concept, I am putting two or three questions at a time on the white board for him to do. It is working like magic!!! I think the combination of being able to write larger, and not having to look at the busy pages of MM directly, has had a fantastic effect. My only concern - is now I have nothing to show for his work! I use to have a nice math binder stuffed full of his worksheets. Now - nothing...

We aren't required by law where we live to report or show our work, but I still feel a little weird about having nothing recorded.

How do the rest of you do it? DO you have them write anything on paper?

It is working like magic!!!

:thumbup:

I agree, if there's any work that seems particularly significant, you could take a picture (I probably wouldn't even bother to print it out, but file it away).

Other than that, maybe have him do a cumulative review or chapter test or something once in a while on paper. If you use paper, be sure to only circle some of the problems, like half or whatever, so that he doesn't feel overwhelmed and balk. Alternatively, once in a while for review, you can use Maria Miller's worksheet maker, the one where you can designate how many problems, how far apart on the page, etc. so that there is a ton of white space. I did that a lot!

We are using MUS with the pages in page protectors and they write the answers with a dry erase marker. It came with a nice chart to keep track of what worksheets they've covered. I just check off the pages they did and write a grade in the test boxes. Maybe you could make a chart for MM?

If you don't need to keep anything for gov't purposes, then relax and be glad you have less clutter. If need be, as others have said, take a photo or do a few probs here or there on paper.

We love the white board and think it makes a huge difference for math. Have you given it a try for spelling yet? Sometimes my 10yo ds will write the missed words, quite large and then sort of illustrate them. Helps him keep some of the spellings in his head. Even just writing bigger helps him with recall.

Other than that, maybe have him do a cumulative review or chapter test or something once in a while on paper. If you use paper, be sure to only circle some of the problems, like half or whatever, so that he doesn't feel overwhelmed and balk. Alternatively, once in a while for review, you can use Maria Miller's worksheet maker, the one where you can designate how many problems, how far apart on the page, etc. so that there is a ton of white space. I did that a lot!

:iagree: I had to back up for dd#2 & after some math fact review (oral & whiteboard), I redid the teaching & problems for her math book all on the white board for several weeks. We gradually transitioned back to her workbook for new lessons.

During the white-board time, I would just note what lesson we were doing in my planner. I had nothing on paper (other than the notes I jotted down) for the entire last quarter of last year, all through the summer, and for the first four weeks or so of this school year. Made me feel weird (because I'm a bit uptight about grades & papertrails), but the proof is in the pudding -- she's progressing again!

I have to keep records for our state, but we used MM and the whiteboard for the first part of last year. I took pictures with my digital camera and instead of printing anything out I added the pictures to the power point presentation I created for our homeschool portfolio that I turned into the school district on cd. I WAS going to turn it in on a Yosemite Sam flash drive, but I liked the flash drive too much to risk not getting it back.

I also included in the math section of the presentation a list of the topics we covered in math over the course of the year. I'm in PA, and this apparently was all fine with the school district.........they were satisfied.

Now I take pictures of some things, and scan in some other handwritten things, and save the Word documents all on a flash drive. It is much neater, easier to organize, saves space and money, and is good for the environment! :D