Menu

Wool Blankets?

I really *need* to get the kids nice blankets for their beds. I'd love to go wool. (And I have a Pendleton outlet not far from me, but I'm thinking that might be really expensive?)

I'd prefer to do wool, but might consider fleece or something? :(

Thoughts?

I could get them scratchy Army surplus because they'd be warm and durable and I'm considering it... It would never touch their skin, but seems not cuddly.

I love the few washable wool blankets I have, and got rid of the older ones that were not washable. However, for snuggling, I found that husband and kids really love quilts. All kinds of quilts. Pieced ones, with cotton batting, comforter type ones, with poly batts, etc. Then, the favorite for my bed, is a down blanket. Its a sort of thin down comforter. I have one that is softer fabric covered, and one that has rustly, crisp fabric. Really warmer, nice weight....and nobody gets itchy. Even my nicer wool blankets get complaints from two kids, for being itchy. They are not rough at all, are very soft and smooth....but, "scritchy". Sensitive skin? Not sure. I enclosed them in top and bottom flat sheets too, but, in the end, comforters or quilts, with down, feathers, cotton or poly batt, seemed to be preferred. Oh, fleece blankets are very cuddly, but end up just going on camping trips.

Wow! They actually improved something they "new and improved!" I'm impressed. I'll have to qualify my earlier comment.

"1980's era US Army blankets are not 100% wool and are washable"

You could always put these inside a duvet cover for more "cuddliness."

Last year I made the no sew fleece blankets....it turned into gifts for everyone last Christmas. Once someone saw it they too "had" to have one. It is fun to pick out the patterns and then you could have the kids help you cut and tie them. My kids had it down to a science by the end of our 27 blankets. We could tie a blanket in under 30 minutes. They work for single beds but not sure about larger beds. I found 2 yards of a good quality fleece is a great size and has lasted through many washings.

I found the directions on utube and found you really cannot mess them up. The first few blankets I pinned the material and measured but by the end we were just putting the material on the table and cutting and tying. It was fun. I am sorry I do not know anyone else to make them for. They were just so fun!

Just remembering, I was in a Pendleton outlet a couple of weeks ago with my mom....when she checked out at the register, they asked if they could put her on their email list and then gave her 30% off for signing up. Not a shabby discount, IMO.

I do adore their wool blankets, especially their Nat'l Park line.

Just remembering, I was in a Pendleton outlet a couple of weeks ago with my mom....when she checked out at the register, they asked if they could put her on their email list and then gave her 30% off for signing up. Not a shabby discount, IMO.

I do adore their wool blankets, especially their Nat'l Park line.

Hmmm... So if they normally run about $150 or so regular, I wonder what they are at an outlet? Because if there's a discount plus another 30% off I'd be so incredibly excited, lol. :)