Menu

Just one rep away from two green boxes...

I'm at 99 positive reps, and doing the little shimmy-dance in anticipation of gaining my second little green box! :hurray:

It got me to wondering though...just what is it about me that makes me the type of person who cares? Is it a sign of insecurity? Do I really need validation that desperately? Is something missing in my life or my personality that drives me to seek approval here?

If you are a person who cares deeply about the rep points you gain here, do you think that says something about you, and do you see that something as positive, or not-so-positive? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Generally, I admit that I'm a people-pleaser to a very great degree, I'm just not sure any more if that's an asset or a flaw.

What say you? What type are you?

This wasn't just a shameless plug for more reps (I promise!) :D

Thanks to those of you who gave 'em to me anyway, but...

I really DO want to hear from those of you who are afflicted as I am with PRS syndrome (positive rep seeker syndrome).

What do you think it says about your personality?

(come on, 'fess up, I KNOW you're out there!)

I really DO want to hear from those of you who are afflicted as I am with PRS syndrome (positive rep seeker syndrome).

FWIW-I didn't see it as a shameless plug for more rep--quite the opposite, actually :D.

I do care about rep, and I don't exactly know why. I think it's because it means I've been noticed and appreciated. Those 2 things are sometimes lacking from my real life.

Honestly? It's about validation. Everyone feels better when they get an "atta boy" whether they "need" it or not.

Proverbs 15:30 says, "A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones." That's how I see positive rep - it's like receiving good news or a cheerful look to brighten your day.

BTW, it's also wonderful to give positive rep to someone. Giving IS better than receiving :D

Okay, I will admit to hoping I get some rep for my contributions. As a lot you probably did, I grew up with someone who didn't exactly dole out the compliments. Mostly, it was negative and constant criticism. So, I guess, it's a bit of a holdover for wanting to be validated as important and worthy of praise. Yeah, I should be more mature than that, but I guess I am not. I don't myself all in a tizzy if I don't get some, but I sure do feel special when I have helped others and they acknowledge whether it be rep, PM, or a general thanks. I kind of do like getting those green squares. I just can't help it. They are pretty!

I'm at 99 positive reps, and doing the little shimmy-dance in anticipation of gaining my second little green box! :hurray:

Now I'm curious. How do you find out how far away you are from your 2nd or 3rd box?

I appreciate positive rep although I'm always suprised when I get it because I'm suprised people actually read what I post. Weird huh? Anyway thanks to the academy and anyone else who's ever repped me I love ya!

gen002.gif

Now I'm curious. How do you find out how far away you are from your 2nd or 3rd box?

I appreciate positive rep although I'm always suprised when I get it because I'm suprised people actually read what I post. Weird huh? Anyway thanks to the academy and anyone else who's ever repped me I love ya!

gen002.gif

You get a box for every 100 reps. Up to 100, you have one, up to 200, 2, etc.

Okay, I will admit to hoping I get some rep for my contributions. As a lot you probably did, I grew up with someone who didn't exactly dole out the compliments. Mostly, it was negative and constant criticism. So, I guess, it's a bit of a holdover for wanting to be validated as important and worthy of praise. Yeah, I should be more mature than that, but I guess I am not. I don't myself all in a tizzy if I don't get some, but I sure do feel special when I have helped others and they acknowledge whether it be rep, PM, or a general thanks. I kind of do like getting those green squares. I just can't help it. They are pretty!

I'm hopping in your boat, Melissa. This describes me pretty well too, right down to the growing up scenario. It is nice to be appreciated, but It doesn't bug me when my comments go unnoticed rep-wise either.

Yeah...those little green boxes are addicting.....It says "You like me! You really, really like me?!"

I am about 30 away.......:001_huh:

I'm always a sucker for this sort of thread -- you've been repped!

Oh Cooooollll!!!!! Thank You so much!!!!!

I always liked the name Lorna....You have the book Lorna Doon and the cookies....is that how you got your name or is it a nickname?

So do you feel like the yearning for validation extends into other parts of your life? I know that I sometimes work WAYYY too hard at pleasing others, and I wonder if it's the same thing as yearning for rep points. The rep points are just so much more visible than the recognition I may get in other areas.

I'm really just beginning to explore this relentless need I have to please others, to be seen as nice, and smart, and helpful, and hospitable, and on and on....and on.

Just how nice, smart, helpful, hospitable, kind, generous, etc, is enough?

Is it possible to cross over into the land of "way too much" of a good thing?

You have the book Lorna Doon and the cookies....is that how you got your name or is it a nickname?

Unfortunately, Lorna is my name, not a nickname (I'm genuinely glad you like it, but I've always hated it).

I wasn't named after either the book or the cookies -- but when I first got online, my user name was doonecookie every place I registered -- and most of my e-mail addresses are doonecookie@whatever.

You'd be surprised by how often I have to spell my name for people who have never heard of it.:)

I didnt even know what reps were until recently. Once I found out about them I thought "uh-oh!"

I'm a rep seeker.... I dont want to be the "new guy" around here and seeing those little green boxes on everyones profile makes me want 'em too! lol.

So bring on the reps.... I'm off to post some helpful replies today lol.

Wow, y'all are so kind and generous. I was just checking my reps and I found that I am so much closer to that second little green square. I just want to thank those who gave me such joy.:w00t:

:patriot:I salute you.

I tried, but I'm locked out at the moment.

I think I am looking forward to two little green squares because it means I'm part of the team here. Team work is essential to my personality type for some reason. I guess recognition is part of it, but also the feeling of inclusion.

BTW, I'm at 97 right now too. So close!!

Blessings,

Lucinda

It does in the sense that I am too sensitive sometimes. I am occasionally easily defeated. Dh, poor guy, reaps the "benefits" of this, :lol:. He tries to make up for my past lack thereof.

I have reached a point where I care less, now though. I still want to be liked. I still want to be helpful. But I won't compromise myself in order to go there, KWIM. I try to do those things in a manner in which I feel I am led to assist.

I used to try too hard to make friends. It was usually a situation in which the match just wasn't right. I have moved on past that now. But I still would hate for someone to really hate me, you know.

So do you feel like the yearning for validation extends into other parts of your life? I know that I sometimes work WAYYY too hard at pleasing others, and I wonder if it's the same thing as yearning for rep points. The rep points are just so much more visible than the recognition I may get in other areas.

I'm really just beginning to explore this relentless need I have to please others, to be seen as nice, and smart, and helpful, and hospitable, and on and on....and on.

Just how nice, smart, helpful, hospitable, kind, generous, etc, is enough?

Is it possible to cross over into the land of "way too much" of a good thing?

I think I am looking forward to two little green squares because it means I'm part of the team here. Team work is essential to my personality type for some reason. I guess recognition is part of it, but also the feeling of inclusion.

BTW, I'm at 97 right now too. So close!!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I see two squares there now!!! Congrats!

Man - I am this way about pleasing people too. I often wonder why I care so much what other people think. I find myself saying to the kids, "Hush, people are looking!" I wish I weren't so aware and could just go on living my life just not caring!!

I'll come back and dole out more rep in an hour or so. We're off to the pool!

Woo Hoo! Congrats Julie...I see two green squares now. I'm still my age away from two but am amazed that I have has many squares as I do. It's really nice when someone reps you for something you've shared.

When I click on the scales to give someone rep, the rep box pops up off to the right side, past the edge of my screen. I have to scroll over to add my comments, and for some reason the scrolling goes reeeaaalllly slooooowww.

I do it anyway, but it ends up taking me a lot longer to leave someone positive rep than I'd like.

Anyone know why it's this way?