Menu

Favorite Nursery Rhyme, Mother Goose, Fairytale, and Poetry compilations????

j_thurm

Hi! I would love to have a few really great books for teaching K to my DD. Anyone have any favorite compilations of Nursery Rhymes, Mother Goose stories, Fairytales, and poetry?

Also, if anyone has any fun activities they found to go with any of these I would really appreciate it! I really don't want to do literature pockets. Just more fun activities like crafts, songs, recipes, ect.

Thanks so much!

This is my Mother Goose book. It's smaller than most other edition. I abhor holding bulky books. I'm a tactile person more than a visual one.

The Noah Plan Literature Guide has a nice section on teaching Mother Goose. The Noah Plan Guides are pretty controversial though, so do your research before purchasing. :lol: And the Mother Goose section isn't really activities or fru fru. It's more scholastic than that. But the lit guide covers all the topics you mentioned for K.

Here's a Little Poem

Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever

Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose (Scott Gustafson's illustrations are exquisite.)

Classic Fairy Tales (ditto :D)

The Golden Book of Fairy Tales

When she's a bit older, or now if she's a good listener, every single volume fairy tale illustrated by K.Y. Craft. Beautifully illustrated and well-written. My daughter loves these and still reads them over and over.

Also, you cannot go wrong with the Lang Fairy books when she's ready. Start with The Blue Fairy Book.

If I had to pick one poetry anthology forever and ever, it would be Favorite Poems Old and New.

Thanks so much! I am loving looking at all of these ideas!!!!

Here's a Little Poem

Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose (Scott Gustafson's illustrations are exquisite.)

When she's a bit older, or now if she's a good listener, every single volume fairy tale illustrated by K.Y. Craft. Beautifully illustrated and well-written. My daughter loves these and still reads them over and over.

Also, you cannot go wrong with the Lang Fairy books when she's ready. Start with The Blue Fairy Book.

If I had to pick one poetry anthology forever and ever, it would be Favorite Poems Old and New.

Here's a Little Poem

I just wanted to second this entire post! We especially love the two Mother Goose books and Kraft's books!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi! I would love to have a few really great books for teaching K to my DD. Anyone have any favorite compilations of Nursery Rhymes, Mother Goose stories, Fairytales, and poetry?

Also, if anyone has any fun activities they found to go with any of these I would really appreciate it! I really don't want to do literature pockets. Just more fun activities like crafts, songs, recipes, ect.

Thanks so much!

I know this is an older thread...but I'm wondering what you've come up with??? I'd love to be doing fun little activities with our Nursery Rhymes & Fairy Tales, etc. as well. I'd love ideas!

Thanks!

I do have some things I have been putting together. When I get it all put together I would be happy to share them. I love these books though:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tall-Book-Nursery-Tales/dp/0060543728/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351351964&sr=8-1&keywords=the+tall+book+of+nursery+tales

I also bought the Tall Book of Mother Goose and The Tall Book of The Tall Book of Princesses. These were my favorite ones that I found. I did love Gyu Fujikawa books too. They were a close 2nd. Even my 4th grader picks up the Princess one to read :)

I know this is an older thread...but I'm wondering what you've come up with??? I'd love to be doing fun little activities with our Nursery Rhymes & Fairy Tales, etc. as well. I'd love ideas!

Thanks!

Our favorites:

A Treasury of Children's Literature

The Oxford Book of Fairy Tales

Michael Hague's Favorite Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales

Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever!

Mother Goose illustrated by Gyo Fujikawa

Poems to Read to the Very Young

A Child's Garden of Verses illustrated by Tasha Tudor

Favorite Poems Old and New

Be Glad Your Nose is on Your Face

My Book House: In the Nursery

My Book House: Story Time

The books from the My Book House series are compilations of fairy tales, folk tales, nursery rhymes and poetry in anthology format.

I don't know of any specific activities to do with any of them, though obvious ones would be baking bread when reading The Little Red Hen or gingerbread cookies when reading The Gingerbread Man. You could make tissue paper "dancing slippers" to wear out when reading The Twelve Dancing Princesses, or build grass, popsicle stick and lego houses for The Three Little Pigs and have your child pretend to be the big bad wolf.

Wow, you tube? I never would have thought about that! Thanks!

Dd loves our copy of Mary Englebreit's nursery rhymes, and we have the audio from audible.com too. Sometimes she likes to listen and read along.

We're doing a nursery rhyme study this semester and I've been downloading a lot from youtube.

Rosie