Menu

If you use CLE math, what about K ?

JessReplanted

I'm in the same quandry. I've been using the Horizons K workbook only but it's really moving too quickly for my little guy although he likes it because of all the color. I pulled my Miquon off the shelf and he's been having fun with that so we'll probably use that for a while at least. With the last kidlet, I used Saxon K but I just have no enthusiasm for pulling that one off the shelf again. I was just thinking about ordering the Kinder II from CLE but like the pp said, I would really rather just have the math sheets.

I have used Abeka math for K for the last 2 kids, but I was wondering if there are any other options out there? If you are a CLE math user, what did you do for K?

We used MUS Primer and some of Alpha with dd6 before 1st grade. Now she is in CLE 100 and having no problems with a good amount of review.

My son is not quite 5, so we are taking it slow and having fun with games. Currently he is loving a game I made that is a copy of Sum Swamp but I also have all sorts of file folder games. I have done a bit of Miquon with him (don't really like referring to the Lab Notes all the time, though the worksheets get more self-explanatory soon, I think) and play with Cuisenaire rods. We play with an abacus and I have Right Start A and the math games here to use but haven't really delved into that much. I also have the older version of Singapore Earlybird, and Horizons K, but I'm not in a rush for him to start printing numbers and filling out worksheets. Basically I'm just working on number sense from 0-10, and then will move from 0-20. When we play games that use addition and subtraction I use counters to demonstrate, or an abacus, and sometimes he can figure it out in his head. I'm not sure when we'll start CLE 100 ... could be a year or more (and then it will likely be a lot of review, so may not start at the beginning of the series).

I am using Abeka math K. I don't love it, as there is a lot of stuff to wade through in the teacher's guide (which is why I moved away from Abeka a couple of years ago). The K math is short and teaches numbers through 100, simple addition, simple clocks, maybe some subtraction at the end. It really helps prepare for 1st grade math.

I am going to try the CLE K pages when I order DD9s math, hopefully to prep her for CLE100. I'm looking forward to them, as DD5 is weak in math.

I ended up going with the Kinder II books from CLE. It's definitely more than I needed, but it's only $10. And, hopefully it will give my slightly neglected K'er a little more to do. :blush:

I have that sitting on my shelf waiting for youngest DD's K year, next fall. I think it looks great! A nice solid base, to which to add lots of fun stuff! (Plus, my DD likes "doing schoolwork" and doesn't mind workbooks.)