Menu

If you love the birkenstocks footbed...

Scuff

What shoes do you wear? I have plantars fascitis and with birks, can go the summers mostly pain-free. But I have yet to find a shoe that gives me the support I need. What do you wear in the winter when you can't do sandals?

They make several types of closed shoes now. Do they not have the same footbed? I just looked and saw a few types of loafers and slip-ons.

Birks. :tongue_smilie: Now that I moved to VA, I wear them year round. I only put on " real shoes" if I actually have to walk through the snow, or if I will be out for a long time. When I lived in MN and WI, it was a little harder. If I was just going house to car, car to store or wherever, I would almost always just wea the sandals and put up with the cold. They make clogs, but I like clogs less than I like cold toes. :D

I have worn Birkenstock shoes/sandals almost exclusively for the past 5 years or so.

I have several pairs of Bostons by Birkenstock. I wear them with wool socks ( Costco carries them in the fall..awesome). I live in MI and have traveled to MN wearing them many times. Unless I am walking thru a blizzard I do fine. The foot bed is high enough that I rarely get snow in my shoes. Warmth is not an issue with the wool socks.

I also have a pair of Boston's (that are 20 years old and still going strong). I have 4 pairs of Mary Jane's that I love. I bought them through QVC. Here's a link to one pair that I have in black (but they are not selling these any more) http://www.qvc.com/Birkis-Lizard-Embossed-Cross-Strap-Maryjanes.product.A93199.html?&cookie=set

I LOVE this but can't find them anywhere else. My other 3 pairs of Mary Janes are also from QVC and they don't carry them anymore. I'm glad that I bought the 3 pair I did when I did.

I also have a pair of Boston's (that are 20 years old and still going strong). I have 4 pairs of Mary Jane's that I love. I bought them through QVC. Here's a link to one pair that I have in black (but they are not selling these any more) http://www.qvc.com/Birkis-Lizard-Embossed-Cross-Strap-Maryjanes.product.A93199.html?&cookie=set

I LOVE this but can't find them anywhere else. My other 3 pairs of Mary Janes are also from QVC and they don't carry them anymore. I'm glad that I bought the 3 pair I did when I did.

Look on Shoebuy.com. They have several of this kind of style.

I also have Plantar Fasciitis and have been wearing Birks this summer, but honestly my feet do a little better if I wear my running shoes. That was what I wore all last winter and I'll be doing that again as soon as the weather turns. I have Dansko clogs but they actually can make my heel hurt more. The store where I bought the Danskos 2 years ago and the Birks this spring said that the Danskos have a harder footbed than the Birks which can be a problem for some folks. But if I need something a little nicer than running shoes like for church they do fine for shorter time periods.

If arch support is helping with your PF, try Sofft. Those dressy shoes have the best arch support around. They are pricey, but I shop for them at the Nordstrom Rack and usually get them at 50-75% off.

For non-dressy, running shoes are great. I buy Salomon trail runners for this because they have good arch support and they also have a firm foot bed for stability.

There is a great old thread on this. I will look for it. There are some inserts that really helped me--the name is on that other thread, and I can't remember it right now.

I agree about Dansko. When my PF was really bad, Dansko was about the only thing that helped. When it started to improve, Dansko was too much--too hard and stiff, and actually fairly uncomfortable. At that stage, Fit Flops were outstanding, much better even than Birkenstocks, and I use them all the time now. But I don't like their closed toe boots and shoes, so they don't work for winter.

Yes, they still have some shoes you can wear in cold weather. Not sure about snow.

Do a google search for shoes and your condition. There are shoe companies which make shoes for certqin conditions. Then buy that brand locally and wear only in the house to see how you like them. If your feet hurt and you've only worn thrm in the house, you can return them.

Birkenstocks are so hard and hurt my feet. i like Naot because their cork footbed has gel on top of it. Some newer Birkenstocks also do.

Yes, they still have some shoes you can wear in cold weather. Not sure about snow.

Birkenstocks are so hard and hurt my feet. i like Naot because their cork footbed has gel on top of it. Some newer Birkenstocks also do.

Birkenstock has some styles with a soft footbed. It has a layer of cushiony that is really comfortable. There is no breakin period for me when I buy it.

Thanks for all the ideas! My chiro adjusts my feet and it really helps. With the arch in the birks, my feet really hold the adjustment and I can stay pretty much painfree. (besides general achiness) I've been just wearing tennis shoes during the winter, but even they aren't supportive enough and I need to have her adjust me a lot. So, I really need that arch support! Thanks for all the suggestions! I found a few things to think about trying. And I'm excited to finally not have ugly shoes! Just need to budget. :)