Menu

Netflix billed me twice

Has anyone had this happen? My Netflix bill is paid on the 20th of the month; I've had this account for the past two years and without problem, they've taken their payment on the 20th. But today, I looked at my bank account and they have taken payment on the 20th and again today! I called and the Not Very Helpful Man said that the second payment was a "verification of my card" and would be refunded in a day or two. I informed him that I've never had that happen before and he retorted that it happens every month. Um, NO, it doesn't! And why do they need to verify my card 3 days after they took the payment?

Not sure what to do about it. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have actually had this happen and it isn't an actual charge. Netflix will send a notice to the bank of the impending withdrawl and my bank puts a hold on the money, similar to what happens if I pay at the pump when getting gas. Usually within a couple of days the verification drops off. If I were you I'd call the bank not netflix. Sometimes my bank isn't as quick on the uptake and it takes 4-5 days for the verification to drop off.

I have actually had this happen and it isn't an actual charge. Netflix will send a notice to the bank of the impending withdrawl and my bank puts a hold on the money, similar to what happens if I pay at the pump when getting gas. Usually within a couple of days the verification drops off. If I were you I'd call the bank not netflix. Sometimes my bank isn't as quick on the uptake and it takes 4-5 days for the verification to drop off.

I can't tell what's pending from whom, though. I assumed the OP could *see* the charges on both dates. When I have charges pending, the amount lowers my "available" money but doesn't show up in my debits until it actually comes out. (This is making sense in my head but not in writing... :confused: )

I get DVDs and have streaming, but I'm only billed once a month. The charges are just combined.

:iagree: They have never charged me twice and I have been a customer since 2003. I'd try to speak to a supervisor tomorrow and see what they have to say. I have never heard of netflix "verifying the card", especially by doing an actual charge (was it an actual charge, or a hold on the amount?). Definitely look into it, because that just doesn't sound right.

I can't tell what's pending from whom, though. I assumed the OP could *see* the charges on both dates. When I have charges pending, the amount lowers my "available" money but doesn't show up in my debits until it actually comes out. (This is making sense in my head but not in writing... :confused: )

I know what you're saying. This may depend on how the online bank shows things. My bank shows them all as a list (just like an old checkbook register) but the pending used to just have an * by it with a note in really, really small print at the bottom that it's pending. They've since changed this and it will now say "pending" right next to it. I still think the OP should check with her bank as they may be able to clear things up since they know exactly what the transactions are listed as.

I know what you're saying. This may depend on how the online bank shows things. My bank shows them all as a list (just like an old checkbook register) but the pending used to just have an * by it with a note in really, really small print at the bottom that it's pending. They've since changed this and it will now say "pending" right next to it. I still think the OP should check with her bank as they may be able to clear things up since they know exactly what the transactions are listed as.

Sorry to go OT but man!!!! I wish my credit union did that!! The only things on the "list" are the ones which cleared, so if I use my debit card and lose the receipt, I have to wait until it clears to see what the actual amount is. It is just invisible, money gone without definition... :lol: Worse, I have to wait until it clears when dh uses his card because he *never* remembers the amount. "Uh, it was around $10." And it was actually $12.53 or something!!! Gah!

Sorry, carry on! :tongue_smilie:

Sorry to go OT but man!!!! I wish my credit union did that!! The only things on the "list" are the ones which cleared, so if I use my debit card and lose the receipt, I have to wait until it clears to see what the actual amount is. It is just invisible, money gone without definition... :lol: Worse, I have to wait until it clears when dh uses his card because he *never* remembers the amount. "Uh, it was around $10." And it was actually $12.53 or something!!! Gah!

Sorry, carry on! :tongue_smilie:

I love my CU, because of what they do. I live about 5 minutes away from walmart, if I use my card there it's listed as pending with the exact amount by the time I get home.

I only have streaming. And, my bank account says "transaction cleared" on both transactions. It doesn't say it's a hold or anything.

I'll definitely give a call tomorrow to Netfilx again. There is nothing on my bank account that says either transaction is a "hold". And Mr. Not Very Helpful won't convince me otherwise. :glare:

• 1 year later...
Guest karr

This also happened to me except when I called they told me that I had two separate accounts and they wouldn't even give me the info to my supposed other account. And the exact same thing just happened to my boyfriend. Both accounts were just the streaming.

Even all this pending and refund stuff can cause accounts to bounce. It makes me crazy. And scared.

I hate being double billed. Especially from places that have bad customer service.

I really liked my iPad mini, until the apps stopped showing up under my purchases, and the only way I can talk to anyone is e-mailing and waiting 2 days for a response, that I cannot respond to other than in one single line. Come to find out there is a bug, that has been there since a previous version of the OS and still hasn't been fixed and isn't being admitted to.

I think I'm ditching the iPad for a Kindle, just over customer service.

:grouphug: