Menu

Termites

What to look for? Every rental ad says something about "pest control included" or something of that nature. I'm getting strong vibes about termites being an issue in the South.

When I go and start looking at a rental, where/what should I be looking for or asking about in regards to this "pest control" - how do you gauge or look for signs of it being a problem?

Do I open cupboards and look in corners or what? I have zero education about living with termites, tips?

We rented a house that had a termite problem the owner didn't know about. We figured out there was a problem when we woke up one morning and the carpet was completely covered (literally thickly covered) with little winged (but not flying) bugs. I vacuumed them up and started asking around and everyone thought termites. And then I started seeing them crawling along the baseboards.

They didn't cause us any problems. We moved but I'm sure it was a headache for the owner.

I'm not sure how far along in the life stage they were, but there were no visible signs of anything (that I could see) and then instantly they were just everywhere. After I vacuumed them there would be nothing for a few weeks and then poof everywhere again.

I can't help you any more than that. I would just ask the owners if they've had the house inspected. Honestly I think any issue would be more a headache for the owner of the house than a renter.

Termites shouldn't really be a problem for you as a renter. They do more long term damage to a home, and is really a concern for the owner of the home. Soft wood, spongy places in the walls, etc. can be an indicator.

The last house we rented showed zero signs of them until they poured out of our bathroom ceiling/wall. I called the management company and they sent a guy out...took two visits and it was cleared up. I have to say though, this house wasn't properly maintained in many ways...

The thing I would worry about MORE is a roach or mouse problem. If pest control is included that is a good thing :)

Termites aren't something you'd typically see in the cabinets or walking around on the counters like ants or roaches. They like to stay hidden inside the walls and under flooring, feasting away on wood. Usually by the time you know termites are present, you've got a significant amount of damage. About all you can do as a homeowner other than having an annual inspection done (or some type of termite prevention system installed) is to make sure there is no old wood stacked around the foundation of the house or in the basement or crawl space. Termites aren't something renters would typically worry about, because the owner will have to pay for any repairs.

Edited by Pawz4me

"Pest Control included" means to me that someone comes and sprays noxious chemicals in and around the house once a month. Possibly even some bait out in the yard.

You would want to ask for details: inside or outside, what company, what critters, how often, what chemicals, whether you need/want to leave for 24 hours, maintenance or a current problem, etc

When we were buying a house in AL years ago our agent told us this tidbit about termites: There are 2 kinds of houses - those that have had termites and those that will have termites.

However, like someone said, it's not a problem for the renter (it's not your fault), it's a problem for the homeowner who has to pay for treatment and repair.

I know some people are leery of having someone spray pesticide in your home, but it was always worth it to me. It's too easy to get an infestation of undesirables otherwise. As long as you stay away from it until it dries (about an hour), it should not make you sick.