Menu

Dog question

trlt

My dog will be 2 years old in December. When we go out anywhere we just leave her in the house (not in a kennel) and we have never had a problem with her ruining things....she has never eaten a toy or shoe or anything....until today. We left her for a few hours to go to dinner and we got back and she had eaten a small (tiny) stuffed toy of dd's. I have no clue why...I know this probably sounds really silly but any ideas why she would suddenly start destroying things? Do we need to start putting her in a kennel? I know I must sound really crazy for being so worried but I am just like that and I also don't want to have a dog who destroys everything. Thanks in advance for any advice/insight!

Thanks for the replies. She has had her normal amount of exercise but for the past few days she has seemed a bit more hyper. Also, we have a lot of construction going on in our neighborhood which is normal but the high school football stadium is at the end of our block and they had their first home game last night which started before we came home. Maybe it was something related to that.

Sounds like boredom or maybe separation anxiety. If you don't have one already, a Buster Cube could solve the boredom problem. Kong makes a similar treat dispenser, but we found that it could be emptied way too quickly to keep our dogs entertained for long.

:iagree: We do use a Kong, but we stuff it with peanut butter and it keeps our pup busy for hours.

Every dog I've ever had likes to unstuff a toy on occasion. They usually start by pulling out the eyes, and then they work out all the stuffing. I think this is fairly common for dogs, which is why pet stores sell toys that are "unstuffed" animals.

Perhaps your dog just matured enough to recognize an opportunity?