Menu

OMG!!!! HARTZ puppy shampoo reaction

It looks like my pup has many, many, many little bumps on his skin making his fur stick out.:confused::confused::confused:I gave him a bath using Harts puppy shampoo. I just did a google search. O-M-G!!!! Now I am worried about my dog!

He seems perfectly fine but the bumps are multiplying. He had his bath yesterday and is still getting more bumps!

Off to google Benadryl dosage.

And DO NOT use their flea and tick shampoo! I never did but during my search found it caused seizures and even death in dogs!

:grouphug: Oh, poor puppy! Can you call a vet and get advise on what to do?

Hartz products scare the bejeezus out of me, I've heard so many horror stories that I won't use anything they make. My DH saved a two week old kitten. When we called our vet to see what we needed to do, she told us to get any brand of kitten formula but Hartz. She said she had never seen a kitten or puppy survive that was fed the Hartz stuff. :( (The kitten lived and just celebrated her fourth birthday!)

Hartz products scare the bejeezus out of me, I've heard so many horror stories that I won't use anything they make. My DH saved a two week old kitten. When we called our vet to see what we needed to do, she told us to get any brand of kitten formula but Hartz. She said she had never seen a kitten or puppy survive that was fed the Hartz stuff. :( (The kitten lived and just celebrated her fourth birthday!)

:grouphug: Poor puppy!!! I hope he recovers quickly.

(We won't touch Hartz products with a 10 foot pole. Horrid company!)

I have had animals my entire life! I NEVER knew this! I can't say I ever used their products before, though I realy don't remember, but I CAN say I was at a store, Tractor Supply if I remember right, and they had a small selection of shampoo. I chose this thinking PUPPY shampoo would be gentle. WHAT THE HECK. :cursing:

Thirty-three years ago at the age of 16 I got "my" first puppy. Of course my parents were footing all the bills, but it was my responsibility to care for her, including vet visits. One thing the vet told me (and he's still my vet now) was -- Never, ever use anything made by Hartz or Sergeants. So you could say they have a long-standing problem.

In addition to some Benadryl, I'd get a good oatmeal-based shampoo and give him another bath. Aveeno Skin Relief Body Wash (for people) works wonderfully for dogs with itchy/irritated skin.

the bumps are barely noticeable now. I doubt it has anything to do at all with the Benadryl as I only gave him half a dose. I think washing him down REALLY well with Dawn is what helped the most.

He justs completed a four mile hike with ease, bumps almosts gone........... I think he will be ok. I will be watching him closely for some time, though, because a friend of mine said her dog started to ooze BLOOD out of his back after using a flea/tick collar from Hartz!

Again, WHY is this company still in business?

I can't remember if I've ever used their products before, but I know that I will NEVER use them again!

It looks like my pup has many, many, many little bumps on his skin making his fur stick out.:confused::confused::confused:I gave him a bath using Harts puppy shampoo. I just did a google search. O-M-G!!!! Now I am worried about my dog!

He seems perfectly fine but the bumps are multiplying. He had his bath yesterday and is still getting more bumps!

Off to google Benadryl dosage.

And DO NOT use their flea and tick shampoo! I never did but during my search found it caused seizures and even death in dogs!

OR the topical flea drops! We only used half of a dose b/c our puppy is a toy breed and was TINY when we got him, and he had SEVERE seizures and we almost lost him. It was a terrifying 12 hours for our family. When we tried calling Hartz, they just told us that if we had an autopsy done on our dog and they could PROVE that their product killed our dog, they would refund us the cost of the drops. Otherwise there was nothing they could do. :toetap05: Nice customer service, huh?

Thankfully our puppy came through and is mostly fine in the end. We do think that the seizures affected his vision. He doesn't seem to see as well now. We went through our house and threw away ALL Hartz products, and we refuse to buy them anymore or support that company at all.

I'm glad your dog is doing better, though! BTW - Target's store brand (Boots and Barkley, I think) puppy shampoo is GREAT! That's what I use on my puppy, and it smells like baby shampoo. :)

Edited by somo_chickenlady

We used the Hartz kitten formula to supplement our barn kittens (this was before we even had our puppy and had no idea the company was so bad) and my SIL used the puppy formula exclusively on her puppies b/c the mother didn't produce enough milk (our puppy was one of them). All of them survived, and the formula had no ill affect on any of them. I won't use it again after what happened to our puppy, but I just wanted to point out that the formula doesn't kill everything that ingests it. ;)