Menu

a baking question

My daughter wants a Root Beer Float cake for her birthday, which is basically a white cake mix with root beer in the batter. The recipe then calls for a whtip topping mix for the frosting. I am to add more root beer to the mix and mix according to the directions. We have to use real whipping cream due to allergies and so I was wondering if someone could tell me if it would still work for me to add, even a little root beer into the cream...or will it not work? I don't want to ruin a $3 pint of whipping cream in an experiment. thanks.

Hhhmmm...I don't know for sure, so don't take my word for it, but I would guess that the water content in the soda wouldn't mesh well with the cream. Besides, wouldn't you have to add a lot of soda to get any benefit of the flavor from it? I don't think it would whip. Can you get a root beer flavor extract to add, or is that not an option? I assume root beer flavor is artificial--don't know if that matters to you or not.

I have had luck whipping cream with maple syrup to sweeten it (actually, we did this last night....yuuuummmmm....:D), but the soda sounds iffy to me.

that was my thought too...ok...she doesn't know that is the recipe, so it won't matter anyway....i will just do plain whipping cream. Do I need to add anything to the cream to make it...you mentioned making it sweeter...I never thought about that....would just plain sugar work for that?

Yep, you can use plain sugar. It doesn't take much--I can actually eat large quantities of whipped cream with no sweetener, but I, uh, really like cream. :D But for the purposes of a birthday cake, I'd probably sweeten it a bit. I might also add a touch of vanilla, too...it would be like vanilla ice cream in a root beer float.

You are making me hungry! :lol:

No, don't do it. Whipped cream is easy to make but finicky. It will break down pretty easy if it gets much mixed into it.

If you haven't made it before a few tips.

Use a glass or metal bowl to mix, and refridgerate the bowl if you can. The colder the cream stays, the better. Make sure you bowl and beater/whip have NO oil on them before you start. Oil will break down the cream and leave you flat.

Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Then add in powdered sugar a large heaping tablespoonsful at a time until you get to the right sweetness. I like to sift my powdered sugar first before I use it, but you don't have to. For a pint, I would probably add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. When we are adding it to a pie, we also add a touch of nutmeg but I wouldn't do it for the cake.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dr-Pepper-Cake/ is for a Dr Pepper cake but a friend has substituted it with root beer. It is incredibly sweet. Almost too sweet. If making something like this I would just leave the whipped cream plain for more balance. If you want more flavor, I would drizzle the icing with syrup made from rootbeer but not add it to the icing/whipped cream.

You could drizzle the root beer syrup in squiggly lines all over it! I made my dds an ugly plain white cake (so they thought) for their birthday, but when you cut the cake, it had 5 different colors and each color was a different flavor! They loved it!! Or you could put a cherry (or cherry pile) on top.