Menu

Pacific NW vacation?

I think we've decided to head to the PNW for our vacation. We plan to be there about a week. We will have my parents (70s) along with us (no kids, though). They would really like to go to Victoria for a couple days. I imagine spending a day or two in Seattle. Is there a neat island with a B&B that would be fun for a couple of days? Nothing too physically strenuous...and dad doesn't do well on long boat rides ;)

Any advice or website recs would be greatly appreciated.

I think we've decided to head to the PNW for our vacation. We plan to be there about a week. We will have my parents (70s) along with us (no kids, though). They would really like to go to Victoria for a couple days. I imagine spending a day or two in Seattle. Is there a neat island with a B&B that would be fun for a couple of days? Nothing too physically strenuous...and dad doesn't do well on long boat rides ;)

If you stay at a B&B on San Juan Island, you can take the ferry over to Canada. The ferry goes to Sydney, but it's a short car ride to Victoria. Sorry, I don't have any personal recommendations for the B&B. My parents live on the island and took my kids to Victoria this summer.

(Does he get sea sick? If so, has he tried Sea Bands on his wrists?)

If you stay at a B&B on San Juan Island, you can take the ferry over to Canada. The ferry goes to Sydney, but it's a short car ride to Victoria. Sorry, I don't have any personal recommendations for the B&B. My parents live on the island and took my kids to Victoria this summer.

(Does he get sea sick? If so, has he tried Sea Bands on his wrists?)

:iagree:

I'm a wealth of information but too darn tired to look up websites and such. Just wanted to reply and invite you to stop by the farm (between Seattle & Vancouver, up near the border) if you do come to my neck of the woods. We're always happy to share our organic cows ~ just had a big public tour this past Saturday and a smaller private tour today, in fact.:)

I highly recommend visiting Sidney! It is a town of bookstores and coffee shops with little boutiques thrown in here and there. I think that I can say with near certainty that there are an average of 2 coffee shops and 2 bookstores in every block (and a lot of them are second hand bookstores with old books if that turns your fancy). Just be sure to visit before 5:00 because nearly every store closes at that time except for the main bookstore and coffee shop (and the grocery stores and video store is open til 10:00).

There is a neat B&B called the Beacon Inn ( http://www.thebeaconinn.com/ )

And for something more modern there is the Pier Hotel

( http://sidneypier.com/?gclid=CPWjkZz0sbICFYdxQgodVwIABg )

Also, the dining is really good and the beaches are everywhere.

The town is only 7 blocks long and about a block deep on either side so there really isn't too much walking to get to where you want to go and Victoria is only a 20 minute drive away.

If we fly into Seattle, would it work if we rented a car and drove to the islands and Victoria? I'm assuming that the ferries haul vehicles?

Here's what I'm thinking - remember we will have my folks. Dad has had a knee replacement and mom has back issues. They actually do better walking than they do sitting :)

Fly into Seattle. Spend a day then head over to Olympic National Park and drive the scenic drives, maybe get out and do a little walking around. Then spend the night up in that area and take a ferry over to Whidbey Island the next day and spend a couple days. Then head to San Juan Island and spend a day. From there go over to Vancouver Island and spend a couple days. Then drive/ferry back to Seattle from Vancouver Island - is that possible to do in one day?

The big city atmosphere doesn't appeal to my folks much so I don't see spending much time in Seattle. Do you think they would enjoy Olympic National Park?

When I was growing up we would pack up the pickup and camper shell and head out, camping and fishing. We traveled to British Columbia several times and all the way across Canada one year. So my folks enjoy beautiful scenery, but they just aren't able to do as much as they used to do. But the up-side is that they have more money to spend on travel and can afford to do tours, etc.

Dad wasn't thrilled about doing a New England Cruise. Apparently his stint in the Army that necessitated a ship ride from the US to Germany was more than he could endure. Never again, he says :) I'm not sure that he gets sick as much as he gets anxious. He also doesn't like to fly over big expanses of water.

when are you going? san juan island - accessable by WA state ferry from anacortes, or the clipper, passenger only, from seattle - is in the rain shadow so it's nicer weather much longer. I do have a B&B there I like, might be more than you're looking for. The highland inn. it's on the west side overlooking vancouver island and south of the midpoint of the island so it is in teh rain shadow and has very nice weather. they also have some of the most intriguing conifer growth patterns I've ever seen. Friday harbor was 65 and sunny the day we arrived (april) when it was SNOWING in everett. The north end (rosairo) of the island was raining 2/3 times we were there for dinner, but it was very nice and sunny where we were staying. beware some restaurants in friday harbor close for the season.

oh - the ferry ride to the island is beautiful and you can walk around, etc. also the sydney/anacortes ferry stops in friday harbor so you can also get on in friday harbor to go to vancouver island.

Edited by gardenmom5

We are planning for Oct. 29-Nov 4. I'm a little worried that I'm trying to cram in too much. I found an old thread that mentioned Olympic National Park isn't all that outstanding compared to other sights/sites. This is probably the last big vacation my folks will be able to take so we don't mind spending a bit of $$$ this time around. And not having the kids will certainly be less expensive anyways.

It sounds like I really need to coordinate the ferry times. I'm thinking this could be a logistical planning nightmare :p

If we fly into Seattle, would it work if we rented a car and drove to the islands and Victoria? I'm assuming that the ferries haul vehicles?

Here's what I'm thinking - remember we will have my folks. Dad has had a knee replacement and mom has back issues. They actually do better walking than they do sitting :)

Fly into Seattle. Spend a day then head over to Olympic National Park and drive the scenic drives, maybe get out and do a little walking around. Then spend the night up in that area and take a ferry over to Whidbey Island the next day and spend a couple days. Then head to San Juan Island and spend a day. From there go over to Vancouver Island and spend a couple days. Then drive/ferry back to Seattle from Vancouver Island - is that possible to do in one day?

The big city atmosphere doesn't appeal to my folks much so I don't see spending much time in Seattle. Do you think they would enjoy Olympic National Park?

When I was growing up we would pack up the pickup and camper shell and head out, camping and fishing. We traveled to British Columbia several times and all the way across Canada one year. So my folks enjoy beautiful scenery, but they just aren't able to do as much as they used to do. But the up-side is that they have more money to spend on travel and can afford to do tours, etc.

Dad wasn't thrilled about doing a New England Cruise. Apparently his stint in the Army that necessitated a ship ride from the US to Germany was more than he could endure. Never again, he says :) I'm not sure that he gets sick as much as he gets anxious. He also doesn't like to fly over big expanses of water.

yes - ferries carry cars. do check on taking a rental OUT of the country into canada. some rental agencies might not have a problem, others might. might cause trouble going across the border. be sure and have your passports.

If you want to hit the penninsula first, I would suggest go south around the olympics and come north up via the coast. do stop at lake quinault - quick walk around big tree grove, and east of the lodge is a record enormous spruce - and kalaloch and the beaches. there are many quick sites to see. (don't miss la purl on lake crescent. good lunch picnic spot if it's not raining.) go to hurricane ridge due south of port angeles. you might want to hit sequim before leaving the penninsula.

then take the blackball ferry from port angeles to victoria. (private ferry line) you can then take the washington state ferry from sydney on vancouver island to friday harbor on san juan island. while there, you can walk onto an inter island ferry and visit one of the other islands. (or drive on on your way east. mt. constitution on orcas is the highest point in the islands and there is a ccc stone tower at the top with great views all the way to vancouver bc.) then take the ferry to anacortes.

from anacortes you can drive south through whidbey island. (yes, deception pass is incredible and you'll hit it this way.) I'd also suggest a stop at fort casey. (the ferry just below it will take you to port townsend on the penninsula) take the ferry at the south end of the island, clinton to mukeltio which drop you just north of seattle.

Edited by gardenmom5

We are planning for Oct. 29-Nov 4. I'm a little worried that I'm trying to cram in too much. I found an old thread that mentioned Olympic National Park isn't all that outstanding compared to other sights/sites. This is probably the last big vacation my folks will be able to take so we don't mind spending a bit of $$$ this time around. And not having the kids will certainly be less expensive anyways.

It sounds like I really need to coordinate the ferry times. I'm thinking this could be a logistical planning nightmare :p

Hurricane ridge is one of dh's favorite spots. it's plowed year round on the weekends. quinault with big tree grove is another spot - I like to just watch the ocean at kalaloch and it has big sandy beaches with piles of driftwood. the question to answer is do they want civilization or mostly wild?

most of the ferries run regularly - the wa state ferry between vancouver island and san juan island runs 2x per day but it takes reservations. san juan to anacortes runs much more frequently. clinton to mukeltio runs about every 20 - 30 minutes.

The BC Ferries (from Vancouver/ Tsawwassen to Victoria / Swartz Bay) lets out 5 minutes from Sidney and is a very nice trip compared to the Anacortes / Sidney ferry.

The BC Ferry has a buffet (excellent), restaurant, snack bar, gift shop, store, arcade, lounge and many other ammenities and the trip is 1 hr 35 min. The Anacortes ferry takes 3 hours from Washington to Sidney and has one small snack bar and the chairs are not comfortable. I have seen Orcas from the BC ferries a number of times. Though if you are already on the Anacortes side it will be a bit of a trip around to get to the border and then over to Vancouver for the BC Ferry. Maybe you could take it one way and Anacortes the other way?