Menu

What HOD books have you not liked?

MamaHappy

Yesterday I was going through and organizing all of my curriculum and I have lots and lots of books that we used with HOD (we did 3 years worth). I realized that we enjoyed just about all of them with a couple of exceptions.

The ones we didn't like are:

-A Pioneer Sampler. The siblings are mean to each other and it always went unchecked without any consequences. It just bothered me and I won't be reading this book again.

-Sarah Whitcher's story was boring for us.

What HOD books, if any, have you not enjoyed??

Edited by MamaHappy

One of the Devotions that went along with LHFHG. Some of the text just didn't sit well with me. I was constantly changing words. We ditched it. But, I figure to each her own...there is plenty more to love about HOD. :D

:iagree: We had issues with the LHFHG devotional as well and I had to change words also. There was enough of an issue there that it sent me looking for other programs. I had loved LHFHG up to that point, but the devotional was definitely disappointing and rocked my faith in the program since I felt there were foundational differences. I went ahead and completed LHFHG and have done some of Beyond, but we are also using Sonlight. I much prefer Egermeier in Core K to what we were getting from the LHFHG devotional. I'm not crazy about the Beyond devotional, either, but at least the tone is more palatable and I haven't had issues with what is presented in there, just how it is presented (archaic/stilted language that is abstract for a first or second grader).

HTH,

Kathy

Edited by jer2911mom

We've skipped all the devotionals in LHFHG, Beyond and Bigger. We started skipping them in LHFHG and Bigger last year and when we started Beyond this year, I've just never even tried it.

I don't like the science books in LHFHG and Beyond either. I think the main reason I don't care for them though is because it seems disjointed to read them so out of order. From page 40 to page 10 then page 9. It's driving me crazy. Last year in LHFHG we skipped the science reading but I was going to try to do it this year. Kidlet doesn't seem to mind the skipping but it bugs me.

My son in Bigger seems to be enjoying Pioneer Sampler but I haven't read it - other than to listen to his narrations. He's getting bored with it just because it seems to be going on forever, but we're almost done with it now.

I don't like the textbook in science in younger years. There are sooo many good science books for little kids!

I also don't like the guides bc they really leave no interpretation up to the parent. I was always telling my dd the key idea which left her no room to form her own opinion or ask questions about the reason I or the book character thought a certain way...no thinking from me at all, which is good and bad. :)

I like the boxes but would love to see a weekly guide format also.

I like the boxes but would love to see a weekly guide format also.

Oh, if I could change anything about HOD!

We have loved all of the books so far in LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger