Menu

Natural supplements for anxiety

atozmom

I am needing some suggestions for some natural supplements that may help with ds and his anxiety issues.

He had two sessions with a therapist but the first was just a get to know each other session. Then my husband got sick and we are still dealing with that. His medical bills have been a bit high even with insurance. DS's insurance doesn't cover his therapist (the few that it covered around here were not good) and I just can't afford to get him there right now. I am going to discuss medication with her when we go back again, but I know she will need to see him a couple more times before she is ready to prescribe anything and I'm not sure when I will be able to get him back.

I do have a couple of books I am going to read through, one even suggested by the therapist in the beginning. However, I was really hoping that there was something natural that I could get from our health food store that would help to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Inositol. It's safe and shouldn't interfere should she want to try another med (SSRI's for example would be an issue if you were taking something like 5-HTP that also affects serotonin levels). I'm not sure what to suggest dosing wise for pediatrics (might depend on the anxiety disorder). I've seen 2-10 grams but 10 would, I think, be very high in a child. It would be in three divided doses and started low and increased slowly to minimize GI effects. Oh, you use powdered form mixed in drink--it doesn't taste bad. NOW foods has powdered inositol if you decide to try that. Caution with a kid with ADHD as well though. It can increase that issue. MY ADHD kid isn't able to do inositol but if he could I would use it.

N-acetyl cysteine might help with certain kinds of anxiety (like OCD). I've started it with my 8 year old with OCD. I can give you pediatric dosing information if you're dealing with that type of anxiety.

Edited by sbgrace