Menu

Are we Cruise folk? As in the big boats...

Dh needs a vacation. He is working his regular surgical practice and covering at another hospital from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. every other week. We thought this was temporary and he is doing it because we will have 3 in college soon :001_smile:

We are looking around the 2nd week in October. We love to travel but have avoided cruises because they sound so boring to us. But others love them and I wonder if we just don't know what we are missing.

Honestly we are just so tired right now...I imagine spending time sitting on a beach reading...and maybe go for a drive/sightseeing whenever I feel like it. I've been looking at the southern and eastern Caribbean Cruises and wonder if those would fit the bill? Relaxing, slow paced, pretty sights, etc. But is October a bad time? Would we be better off just flying somewhere and relaxing?

It will just be the two of us. The boys are taking college courses and will stay home for those and to take care of the animals.

I don't see why it would be a bad time. We have been on two cruises with my parents and sister, both over the week of Christmas. THAT is fun! DH and I were going to go on another one with DH's parents, I actually think in October, but we had to drop out at the last minute and his parents went without us. They had a blast, though! Good luck! You won't regret it, cruises are SO much fun!

We leave for our cruise in 20 days and I'm SOOOOO excited. James Bond and I never thought we'd like cruising, but we did one in 2010 and we were hooked from day 1. We were totally spoiled. Ours was a a Mediterranean cruise and the upcoming one is a Holy Land cruise, so I've never done one that goes to beach places. I have a friend who cruises the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Mexico or Hawaii every year and has for the past 20 years. She's a cruise fanatic.

We found our cruise incredibly relaxing even though we were stopping and getting off at every port. The staff was amazing and catered to our whims. Seriously, it was amazing. JB and I decided we'd not want to do less than 7 days though. It took us a good 2-3 days to get our sea legs. You should have seen us before we got used to the motion of the ship. We looked like we'd been on a bender. We could be walking down the corridor and just veer off into the wall. We laughed so hard because there was just nothing we could do about it.

I wouldn't imagine Oct would be a bad time to go. It's still nice and warm, but you might want to check on hurricanes and definitely get the trip insurance. Have you thought about cruising Hawaii, Alaska or Canada?

You never know until you try! We love it! You can be as active or as quiet as you want. We have days where we take an excursion and spend all day hiking or horseback riding. We also have days where we simply sit on a beach all day. I love those options. I also love the movement of the ship.

October is a cheap time because it is hurricane season. If you do cruise, get travel insurance. But, many cruise lines will go out and just move around the storm. We cruised during a hurricane last year and it was rocky, but the captain did a great job! We had no rain!

You might be surprised at how much you like it!

We leave for our cruise in 20 days and I'm SOOOOO excited. James Bond and I never thought we'd like cruising, but we did one in 2010 and we were hooked from day 1. We were totally spoiled. Ours was a a Mediterranean cruise and the upcoming one is a Holy Land cruise, so I've never done one that goes to beach places. I have a friend who cruises the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Mexico or Hawaii every year and has for the past 20 years. She's a cruise fanatic.

We found our cruise incredibly relaxing even though we were stopping and getting off at every port. The staff was amazing and catered to our whims. Seriously, it was amazing. JB and I decided we'd not want to do less than 7 days though. It took us a good 2-3 days to get our sea legs. You should have seen us before we got used to the motion of the ship. We looked like we'd been on a bender. We could be walking down the corridor and just veer off into the wall. We laughed so hard because there was just nothing we could do about it.

I wouldn't imagine Oct would be a bad time to go. It's still nice and warm, but you might want to check on hurricanes and definitely get the trip insurance. Have you thought about cruising Hawaii, Alaska or Canada?

So true about the sea legs! I always joke that I look like I've had three drinks for the first couple days! But, so does everyone! Enjoy your cruise!

Well, your mileage could certainly vary, but dh and I went on a cruise last summer (to Alaska) and we had a great vacation. I did not think of us as "cruise people," either. The nicest, most relaxing aspect of cruising for me was that there was nothing to arrange, think through, figure out, plan. I did most of the cruise set up on-line, with a few phone calls thrown in and then - voila! Just enjoy and follow the itinerary. We planned our excursions through the cruise-line - also great. We didn't have to wonder what we were doing at each port. We just got off the ship and joined our particular tour group. While actually on the cruiseship, the "hardest" thing we had to decide was what venue we wanted for dinner. We cruised on Norwegian Cruise Line, which has different restaurant venues.

The other thing I loved in particular about cruising was the opportunity to explore different ports, rather than just sitting around in the same place. Also knowing that almost everything was already paid for was very good for us - we are both conservative spenders and when we're together this turns into a problem sometimes. :001_smile:

My dh and I love cruising too. We have gone on 3 in the past 6 years, a 4 day out of Miami, a 7 day to Mexico out of San Deigo and a 7 day out of LA to Mexico. Each time we went was in October. We didn't have any problem with weather out of Miami though there was one day when the ship was a bit rocky. If you are worried about storms you might look into going out of a west coast port. The weather was cooler the first day out of LA and but by the second day it was very balmy.

We love ship days where you can sit on deck and read a good book or join in on one of the fun activiites planned by the ship. The best part of the cruise for me is that I don't have to cook or think about where to go for dinner as there are so many good choices in restaurants. We have also gone on excursions through the cruise line and then done our own thing such as going to a beach and chilling out all day.

There are always last minute deals.

We went on one in October and had a blast. It took us about 2 days to unwind and start really enjoying the cruise. I say make sure you take a week. That gives you time to disconnect from your "life" and its cares and pressures. Then you still have 5 days to enjoy. There is lots going on at all times of the day on a ship.

Room service only costs a tip too!!! Plus you can try everything on the menu at dinner if you want. I wish I had tried the cold soup each night.

Day 4 Hubby said "life is good. It's 10 am and I am sitting with a beer and cigar on the deck looking at the Ocean. Yep, life is good".

Happy Relaxing wishes for you and Hubby.:001_smile:

It sounds like cruising would be a good one to try at least. DH and I have been on 2 and I love it. Normally when we are on "vacation" he is still connected at the hip to work via his iPhone and laptop. On a cruise boat that isn't an option. There are plenty of things to do at port and things to do on the ship on sea days. You can choose to do none of it or all of it (well within the confines of overlapping activities). I also like that my meals are already paid for so if I want an appetizer, entree, and dessert, so be it. Normally at restaurants on other vacations I am still penny pinching and don't always order what I really want.

cruisecritic.com is a very informative cruising site.

We love cruising. There are enough activities on the ship that everyone has something to do, or nothing to do if that's your preference, and dinner together is usually relaxing with no worries. You can plan your port stops to be as active or inactive as you like.

If you're going to be in the Caribbean, a fun thing to do in port instead of the big group excursions is charter a private sailboat... they take you sailing, snorkeling, and serve a light snack. We did it with a group of 6 in St. Thomas last year. It was so peaceful and yet you weren't just sitting on the beach doing nothing (not that I'm against that!) And no crowds to deal with!

I'll second the advice of cruisecritic.com for researching ports - tons of great stuff there!

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. The website rec is very helpful. While looking at options, I found some that cruise around New England and Canada. Since we are looking at going in the fall, I thought it might be beautiful around there at that time. Dh and I love to haunt little shops and cafes - this seemed like a cruise that might offer such activities.

I've heard horror stories about Carnival Cruises - any other lines to avoid?

We love cruising. There are enough activities on the ship that everyone has something to do, or nothing to do if that's your preference, and dinner together is usually relaxing with no worries. You can plan your port stops to be as active or inactive as you like.

If you're going to be in the Caribbean, a fun thing to do in port instead of the big group excursions is charter a private sailboat... they take you sailing, snorkeling, and serve a light snack. We did it with a group of 6 in St. Thomas last year. It was so peaceful and yet you weren't just sitting on the beach doing nothing (not that I'm against that!) And no crowds to deal with!

:iagree:

To be honest...I would recommend Royal Caribbean!!! We LOVE those ships.

Carnival was "ok" just very crowded and not the same service and quality as RC.

Royal Caribbean has a lot of activities to choose from each day...you could do a bunch of things...or nothing at all! The pools are much larger and a lot easier to relax at. The menu selections had an amazing variety. They offer so many extra features like surfing, rock climbing, ice skating, movies, zip lines..etc...too much. The shows are wonderful as well.

My parents love princess lines...but I personally have never tried. I always cruise with my kids so I have to choose based on kids. My kids love RC. We did Disney last June and while it was nice it was a bit TOO laid back for us. We like a little bit more variety of things to do during the day which RC offered.

AS far as Oct...I agree with reading on cruise critic. I LOVE cruising in May. Just beautiful weather and calm seas. Not sure about oct. I dont like the beach here in South florida in Oct...but that is ME because I hate jelly fish and I always find more jelly fish in Oct, Nov timeframe. We also get cold really easy and dont like being at the pool when it is in the 70's . Brrr...haaa...Im a spoiled floridian!

If you have an option of doing a European cruise would be amazing...a bit "less" relaxing per se....just because you have to do so many walking tours...Alaska sounds AMAZING....my parents loved that...but Ive never been. Eastern Caribbean is very relaxing...Lots of easy excursions if you wanted or you just do no excursions. Last couple of cruises we did ...we didnt get off at all the ports...We relaxed at the pool and bar and had an AMAZING time as a couple!!

We have enjoyed Carnival, but really don't have much to compare it against. I know my dad preferred the Princess line after his Carnival cruise though and has chosen to go back to them for cruise #3. We are going to try Norwegian for our next cruise because they are the only ones that sail out of ports that are "driving" distance that offer a 7 day cruise that doesn't go to the same ports we have already been on. Do you guys already have passports?

We have enjoyed Carnival, but really don't have much to compare it against. I know my dad preferred the Princess line after his Carnival cruise though and has chosen to go back to them for cruise #3. We are going to try Norwegian for our next cruise because they are the only ones that sail out of ports that are "driving" distance that offer a 7 day cruise that doesn't go to the same ports we have already been on. Do you guys already have passports?

Yes, we always keep those current and handy. We really aren't driving distance to any port, but my son is living in Houston now so we might try to find something that goes out of Galveston. But if we do the New England cruise, we will have to fly to the east coast.

Royal Caribbean has a lot of activities to choose from each day...you could do a bunch of things...or nothing at all! The pools are much larger and a lot easier to relax at. The menu selections had an amazing variety. They offer so many extra features like surfing, rock climbing, ice skating, movies, zip lines..etc...too much. The shows are wonderful as well.

AS far as Oct...I agree with reading on cruise critic. I LOVE cruising in May. Just beautiful weather and calm seas.

:iagree:with everything you said. :001_smile:

We love Royal Caribbean! Carnival--not so much. We cruised with Royal Caribbean the first time we took a cruise and loved every moment of it. Carnival was okay, but the level of service was just not the same. I would never travel with Carnival again. I've heard great things about Princess, and would be willing to try them in the future.

We have cruised both in May and October. October was a fine time to go--that was actually the time of year we took our first cruise. However, the water was much calmer in May than in October.

We have only taken 1 cruise (Disney) and it was several years ago. The first few days my dh and I were saying how it was very nice but we couldn't understand why people did it year after year. However, I was tearing up getting off the boat because I didn't want it to end. It was the best. vacation. ever!! Can't wait til we can take another one. Actually, I'd love to do a trans-atlantic cruise because we loved our days at sea the most.

:) Beachy

My parents love princess lines...but I personally have never tried. I always cruise with my kids so I have to choose based on kids. My kids love RC. We did Disney last June and while it was nice it was a bit TOO laid back for us. We like a little bit more variety of things to do during the day which RC offered.

AS far as Oct...I agree with reading on cruise critic. I LOVE cruising in May. Just beautiful weather and calm seas. Not sure about oct. I dont like the beach here in South florida in Oct...but that is ME because I hate jelly fish and I always find more jelly fish in Oct, Nov timeframe. We also get cold really easy and dont like being at the pool when it is in the 70's . Brrr...haaa...Im a spoiled floridian!

If you have an option of doing a European cruise would be amazing...a bit "less" relaxing per se....just because you have to do so many walking tours...Alaska sounds AMAZING....my parents loved that...but Ive never been. Eastern Caribbean is very relaxing...Lots of easy excursions if you wanted or you just do no excursions. Last couple of cruises we did ...we didnt get off at all the ports...We relaxed at the pool and bar and had an AMAZING time as a couple!!

Yay! This is good to hear. Our upcoming cruise is on RC. They do have a lot of activities. We're doing 13 days, with 5 of them at sea.

We did a 12 day Disney cruise 2 years ago and never lacked for anything to do! We were so busy. James Bond and I frequently did different activities during the day (Indy was of course at the kid place-we had to practically dray him out each day) and didn't see each other until the afternoon on some days. I went to a lot of the "brainy" things, like the lectures on the ports we would be going to next, while he did more active stuff. We loved out days at sea. When we PCS back to the States, we're going to see if the army will allow us the option of taking a Trans-Atlantic cruise with us paying the difference in cost from airfare. Depending on where your next duty station is, they will sometimes let you do it. We have friends who did it and it was actually less expensive than the airfare the army would have paid. Their trip was 14 days, with 10 of them being entirely at sea. She said it was heavenly.

Well, I have to vote no to cruising. We went on our first cruise to the Caribbean in 2010 for 7 days. We were in a comfortable cabin, beautiful ship, great food, nice people, lots of activities, but we just did not enjoy it. The reason is that we are jus too independent. We didn't like being "herded" to off-boat activities. We don't gamble or drink much, and there is an emphasis on this on the boat. We did NOT want to dress up to eat with the captain. In fact, there was so much food we were literally saying nooooo to more food! Also, on a cruise, the requests for tips were rampant. Bring lots of money for tips.

The positive aspects were getting to see the islands and we did relax. However, we had taken a trip to Hawaii in 2006, and we had arranged the whole trip ourselves. We had a blast. Did what we wanted and when we wanted. We stayed in a house rented on VRBO and had a wonderful experience. We will probably not do another cruise.

I don't see why it would be a bad time.

It is considered an "iffy" time because of it being hurricane season. But we took a Disney cruise in October '07 and fell in love with cruising. Honestly, we didn't know what to expect and half-thought it would be cheesy, but it was an incredible experience.

That said, it's very important to choose the right cruise line. Disney is one of the best but of course inappropriate for two adults. Choose an upscale cruise line and I'll bet you'll love it.

Here's my favorite site to check out cruising: CruiseCritic.com.

Have fun!

Alley

Well, I have to vote no to cruising. We went on our first cruise to the Caribbean in 2010 for 7 days. We were in a comfortable cabin, beautiful ship, great food, nice people, lots of activities, but we just did not enjoy it. The reason is that we are jus too independent. We didn't like being "herded" to off-boat activities. We don't gamble or drink much, and there is an emphasis on this on the boat. We did NOT want to dress up to eat with the captain. In fact, there was so much food we were literally saying nooooo to more food! Also, on a cruise, the requests for tips were rampant. Bring lots of money for tips.

The positive aspects were getting to see the islands and we did relax. However, we had taken a trip to Hawaii in 2006, and we had arranged the whole trip ourselves. We had a blast. Did what we wanted and when we wanted. We stayed in a house rented on VRBO and had a wonderful experience. We will probably not do another cruise.

The bolded describes us very well :) We travel a lot and I always arrange everything using VRBO - mostly because when we travel with the kids it is cheaper to have a condo or house. But we usually have to accomplish everything there is to see and do...we tend to need relaxation once we get back home ;)

We are considering asking my parents to join us. They have retired and think they need to travel. They have gone with us to DC and Costa Rica, but, frankly, I thought they would die on the trips :tongue_smilie: They have both had surgeries in the past few years which has made it such that they could not travel. But now they seem to be doing better...but I don't think they will want to do a lot of walking and air travel is very difficult with them. So...thinking cruise might work.

We don't do the gambling. We would have on evening drink usually find a quiet spot on some deck. My DH would have a beer and I would have "the drink of the day" unless it was something with coffee in it. (I rarely drink in real life).

We would always spend the days off ship unless it was an "at sea" day. At the beginning they would have a list of things you can sign up for - snorkeling, kayaking, sub rides, tour bus, etc. We would discuss what we would want to do at each stop (including just going off shopping or laying around on the beach on the private island). This way we make sure we had some relaxing and some 'touristy' stuff. Tours and activities cost more, so plan for that.

The cruises that we went on had a fancy dining room, a casual dining room and room service. So you never had to dress up if you didn't want to.

We spent time walking around the desks especially at sunset was nice. We even played shuffle board and ping pong for fun. We saw one movie and some of the shows (music/comedy/magic). We even went dancing one night. I wanted to go to the spa, but was too busy. We also didn't go to the swim pool. We only did those things because we felt like it. If we were tired or not interested we would have skipped them.

Some cruise lines are more upscale and nicer than others.

I think that if you know what you enjoy, you can seek out those things. I think it helps if you and your DH are on the same page regarding what you enjoy.

The only people I would say should definitely stay away from cruises are those who get easily sea sick.

ETA: Holland American was the best cruise we've been on. The passenger tended to be older on H.A., but it didn't bother us.

Edited by OrganicAnn