Menu

I want it OUT!!!! (Warning:Long and Female Content)

Kelli, I saw your post the other day, and I am soooo with you!

I know I always wait too long to go to the dr. But I've reached the end of my rope. I have suffered with heavy cycles for years. Some days I cannot be more than 10 min. away from a bathroom, which means I cannot go anywhere or do anything. I am severely anemic. My numbers are low, despite my best efforts with iron supplements and nutrition. I want to substitute teach part-time in the Fall. Obviously, that is out of the question in my current state. In my political life, I certainly cannot constantly get up and leave during meetings.

I'm 41. I just want a hysterectomy and be done with it. (Yes, I know why it's called a "hysterectomy"--and I'm there :001_smile: ) My primary care dr. thinks I need one.

I have only ever been offered hormones to treat this. I will not take them. I believe I am in a higher risk category even though my dr. does not. I am over 35. I am about 50lb. overweight. My mom had her first heart attack at age 50, died of a heart attack at 61, and suffered with blood clots. I have a first cousin who had a stroke in her early 30s which was attributed to bcp.

Last time I tried to get in to my ob/gyn for this was about 1.5 yrs ago (which I ranted about on the old board), she wouldn't even see me; she would only prescribe hormones over the phone. So I just let it ride for awhile. I don't like dr. hopping, but I'm thinking of going back to my previous ob/gyn in another town who I haven't seen in 6 years.

That feels better. I just needed to vent, but would not mind hearing from anyone who's btdt.

Kelli, I saw your post the other day, and I am soooo with you!

I know I always wait too long to go to the dr. But I've reached the end of my rope. I have suffered with heavy cycles for years. Some days I cannot be more than 10 min. away from a bathroom, which means I cannot go anywhere or do anything. I am severely anemic. My numbers are low, despite my best efforts with iron supplements and nutrition. I want to substitute teach part-time in the Fall. Obviously, that is out of the question in my current state. In my political life, I certainly cannot constantly get up and leave during meetings.

I'm 41. I just want a hysterectomy and be done with it. (Yes, I know why it's called a "hysterectomy"--and I'm there :001_smile: ) My primary care dr. thinks I need one.

I have only ever been offered hormones to treat this. I will not take them. I believe I am in a higher risk category even though my dr. does not. I am over 35. I am about 50lb. overweight. My mom had her first heart attack at age 50, died of a heart attack at 61, and suffered with blood clots. I have a first cousin who had a stroke in her early 30s which was attributed to bcp.

Last time I tried to get in to my ob/gyn for this was about 1.5 yrs ago (which I ranted about on the old board), she wouldn't even see me; she would only prescribe hormones over the phone. So I just let it ride for awhile. I don't like dr. hopping, but I'm thinking of going back to my previous ob/gyn in another town who I haven't seen in 6 years.

That feels better. I just needed to vent, but would not mind hearing from anyone who's btdt.

Have you considered getting an ablation?

Also, something to consider would be to grab a hold of Dr. Lee's materials, notably his research and findings regarding the use of natural progesterone cream. This is not by any means the same as run-of-the-mill hormone replacement therapy. No risks associated with nat. progesterone cream have been reported, from what I understand. Dr. Lee has written many books about this, most notably "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause". You might want to try to find "Dr. John Lee's Hormone Balance Made Simple" at your local library.

Hey, it's worth a try. Cheap, no recovery, no incisions. If it doesn't work then you have other options.

Definitely look into cryoablation!!! It is called "Her Option" and may be just the thing for you. I just had it a month ago for exactly what you are describing....I HAD NO PERIOD THIS MONTH:D:D:D! It is described to be for women between the ages of 30 and 50 with no really large fibroids. Find an OB who does this procedure. They will want to do an ultrasound and uterine biopsy first. The the procedure is about 30 minutes of freezing your uterine lining under ultrasound guidance. The first hour afterward is BAD cramping but then you take one day off and are back to work the next. I felt completely normal about 2 weeks after it was done.

There is also thermal ablation but it has many more complications.

Please look into this. 30-50% of women never have another period, the rest experience much, much lighter ones. It has a 96% satisfaction rate.

PM me if you have more questions.

Soph

http://www.americanmedicalsystems.com/womens_her_option.aspx

This is my first post on the new boards, but I've been a long time lurker/occasional poster on the old boards. My husband works at AMS, so when Soph the Vet mentioned the specific product I thought I'd make your search easier. There is a physician locator on the site, but I'm not sure it has accurate listings- You might want to call the company for Dr recommendations.

I have no experience with Her Option- just recognized the name.

:001_smile:

I had a hysterectomy and it was the best thing I've ever done. My prayers are with you.

Blessings,

Amanda

I can't believe the renewed energy and quality of life that happened very soon after surgery. I was feeling old and run down (besides all the other things) -- I now feel like I did when I was thirty or younger. I feel great. I have energy to run. My emotions/hormones are much more in balance.

It definitely was the answer to my problem.

OMG! I am right there with you Diana. I've been anemic for decades. I hate going to the doctor, and not being taken seriously. I hate that they either push bc pills which screw up my hormones or iron pills which tie my intestines in knots. I have never had a single doctor try to address the under lying cause - losing half a gallon of blood a month. (I don't know if it's half a gallon, but it sure feels like it.) When it comes to everyone else's health I am a mama bear. Yet when it comes to mine, I just don't have the energy to be a good advocate for myself anymore. I'm so tired and disgusted. I guess I've just given up. :(

Please keep us posted. If you can do what it takes to find a good solution maybe I can get off my duff and find one, too.

Just chiming in to say that I had an ablation in January of 2004 and I couldn't be happier. I haven't seen a drop of blood since then -- and this is coming from someone who had to sleep with towels under her and who couldn't leave the house for more than a few minutes at a time.

It was sooo worth it. I just can't even begin to express how happy I am that I had it done.

I would say to definitely get in with a different doctor. If you are 41 and know the consequences and still want a hyterectomy..then by all means, you should have one. Maybe you can get the partial one where your ovaries are left there to decrease the hormonal issues that come with this.

I know what you mean about waiting to go to the doctor. I do the same thing.

I don't think I would want a hysterectomy now, but I can't help but think that while I was on the operating table sliced open from here to there it would not have been that big of a deal to take out one more organ.

I think if my cycles get any worse I may ask about the ablation.

Also, something to consider would be to grab a hold of Dr. Lee's materials, notably his research and findings regarding the use of natural progesterone cream. This is not by any means the same as run-of-the-mill hormone replacement therapy. No risks associated with nat. progesterone cream have been reported, from what I understand. Dr. Lee has written many books about this, most notably "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause". You might want to try to find "Dr. John Lee's Hormone Balance Made Simple" at your local library.

Hey, it's worth a try. Cheap, no recovery, no incisions. If it doesn't work then you have other options.

:iagree:

If this is an option for you I would consider it. A hysterectomy is major surgery (although I had no troubles it did take several months to recover fully). This was not an option for me as my troubles were related to fibroids.

I have been there as well, however in my case it was endo. Has your doc ruled out endometriosis? One of the more obvious symptoms of this is heavy bleeding.

There are a number of treatments available, however I let mine go way too long and everything had to come out.

Don't delay getting to a knowledgebale ob/gyn!

Thanks, everyone for the encouragement. My old ob/gyn was willing to see me this morning and he didn't try to peddle meds to me over the phone.

He went over my options with me, which did include hormones, but he doesn't really think that's the best route, and that it would only be a quick, temporary fix anyway. I'm scheduled for a D&C and laparoscopy on Aug. 6. After that, *we* will determine the best course of action which may include hysterectomy, ablation or cryoablation.

I just needed that little nudge y'all gave me. ;)

I read all the excellent posts and I agree with all the advice to fight for what you need. Way to go for calling the Dr. up and starting the process!

I just wanted to add in a option for treatment while you wait for the surgery. If you are open to natural treatments Yarrow tea is great for heavy bleeding. Google it. The Romans used it and found great success.

I just wanted to add that in for something you could do while you wait. It really does work wonders on so many things. (I'm feeling a little like the Yarrow tea poster child now.) :blush5: If you have questions just pm me.:001_smile:

I read all the excellent posts and I agree with all the advice to fight for what you need. Way to go for calling the Dr. up and starting the process!

I just wanted to add in a option for treatment while you wait for the surgery. If you are open to natural treatments Yarrow tea is great for heavy bleeding. Google it. The Romans used it and found great success.

I just wanted to add that in for something you could do while you wait. It really does work wonders on so many things. (I'm feeling a little like the Yarrow tea poster child now.) :blush5: If you have questions just pm me.:001_smile:

Thanks for the idea. I will check it out.

I haven't read all of the posts yet....so this may have all ready popped up.

My sister who suffers like you just went in and had a procedure where they zapped her uterus. Basically crispied everything inside.

She has no more cycle. It is supposed to be permanent. It is called NovaSure.

http://www.novasure.com/irregular-period/novasure-procedure.cfm

She has battled major bleeding and fibroids....the bleeding was so bad she has actually had to have a transfusion.

She is loving life now......

Have you considered getting an ablation?

A friend of mine sounds like you! She was severely anemic--the doc said just days away from needing a transfusion and she bled daily for almost 2 years! Anyhow, she had the ablation and regrets not having it done sooner...she has not had a cycle since although she still feels the PMSsymptoms but NO bleeding!!! Worth looking into...I hope you get relief SOON!

Blessings,

Kathi