Menu

Other books like Mercy Watson (easy chapter books with pictures on every page).

Nart

I am looking for early chapter books that have pictures on every page or almost every page. My son can read books like Frog and Toad or Fly Guy without a problem. When I show him a book like Magic Tree House or Cam Jansen he says there are too many words on the page even though he can read all the words. I found the Mercy Watson series which is perfect. He loves the book. It has chapters (he likes it when a book has chapters so there is a natural stopping point if he doesn't want to read more), large font, and pictures on every page. Can anyone recommend any easy chapter books like Mercy Watson?

Edited by Nart

I just looked at the Young Cam Jansens on Amazon, and they do have pictures on every page. http://www.amazon.com/Young-Cam-Jansen-Dinosaur-Game/dp/0140377794

Look at the Little House Chapter books. They have a lot of pictures, though not one on every page. Also, maybe the Young Cam Jansen books? I haven't looked at those in a while though to know how many pictures they have.

Cynthia Rylant's Lighthouse Family series have been a hit here.

The Lighthouse Family has been a hit here. I missed using these with my DS1, but 5.5 yo DD is loving the Lighthouse Family.

We just tried the Thimbleberry Stories book too, and that was great. It is easier than The Lighthouse Family books.

http://www.amazon.com/Thimbleberry-Stories-Cynthia-Rylant/dp/0152056459/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346697705&sr=8-1&keywords=thimbleberry+rylant

I just looked at the Young Cam Jansens on Amazon, and they do have pictures on every page. http://www.amazon.com/Young-Cam-Jansen-Dinosaur-Game/dp/0140377794

Yes! It looks like this book is at his reading level and more importantly where his reading stamina is. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, any other suggestions, particularly for boys, would be appreciated.

We all loved the Dodsworth books by Tim Egan around that time. I don't remember the picture/page ratio though, and I know that is important.

My son also liked the Commander Toad books by Jane Yolen.

Mouse and Mole books by Wong Herbert Yee

Henry and Mudge books by Cynthia Rylant

They were all good, early chapter books with high picture ratios and as an added bonus if he likes one, there are more in the series! :001_smile: