Menu

How do we sign up for it if our school district doesn't offer it? I don't mind driving ds somewhere to take it, but I can't find a list of locations.

Belink Blank may agree to mail the packet to a proctor of your choice. Check with them here: http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/Students/BESTS/4-6.aspx

You might have to email them separately instead of using the register link. If your child is younger than 4th grade (mine was in 3rd when he did the Explore), emailing is the best bet.

Different schools have talent searches.

Johns Hopkins has CTY

Duke has TIP

northwestern has NUMATS

Students can take out of level tests to see how they do and for the challenge.

The Explore is an 8th grade test. Taken searches use it at different ages...duke does in 5 th grade.

Older students, starting in 6 th or 7 th grade would take the ACT or SAT through the talent search programs. High scores on the tests qualify students for some online classes. My son is participating in all 3 searches. He did CTY in 2nd grade with their SCAT, Northwestern last year with the explore and he's taking the explore again this year through duke.

3rd grade lagic or 3rd grade age?...hmm, maybe I should check the site

The chronological age equivalent of 3rd grade in your state/district. So 8 or 9 depending on the timing of the cutoff vs. the child's birthday.

Carnegie-Mellon's C-MITES program offers EXPLORE talent search testing starting in 3rd grade with no geographical restrictions on enrollment.

I was looking at it for ds8 as an out of level test. He has been testing on grade level for the report for the school district each year, but those tests really don't tell me anything except that he's advanced. I was hoping the Explore would give me more info about where he is and where he isn't.

And thanks for the location list - there is one reasonably close to us.

I was looking at it for ds8 as an out of level test. He has been testing on grade level for the report for the school district each year, but those tests really don't tell me anything except that he's advanced. I was hoping the Explore would give me more info about where he is and where he isn't.

And thanks for the location list - there is one reasonably close to us.

I went ahead with it when DS was 8 for the very same reason. And because DS qualified I used the scores to apply to Davidson's Young Scholars.

Some people find the book Developing Math Talent by Assouline helpful to interpret Explore math scores for acceleration purposes. Just a suggestion!