Menu

Home Canners, what's plinking?

I'm doing peaches today. Three bushels. My husband picked them up at a roadside stand as he drove through Utah farm country yesterday. He wasn't sure he got enough. :001_huh:

Tomorrow I'm going to the u-pick farm for a ridiculous amount of tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, raspberries and whatever else they have. It's a canning weekend in my house!!!

Oh, and Mrs. Wage's salsa mix is YUMMY!!! Especially because I HATE chopping my own jalapenos.

I'm doing peaches today. Three bushels. My husband picked them up at a roadside stand as he drove through Utah farm country yesterday. He wasn't sure he got enough. :001_huh:

Tomorrow I'm going to the u-pick farm for a ridiculous amount of tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, raspberries and whatever else they have. It's a canning weekend in my house!!!

Hopefully he lucked out and picked up free stone for you?!

WOW that's a lot of peaches. :D

I am scrubbing the kitchen for Tomatopallooza starting tomorrow. I have 3 bushels of Roma tomatoes coming in Friday and my best friend, her partner, and I are going to can whole tomatoes, make sauce, salsa, and tomato jam.

I've also found a new reipe for mulled apple cider jelly and I'm about a third of the way through making 50 or so pints of applesauce. (I've got 18 pints done so far). Oh, and then I need to make apple pie filling.

And I'm in the process of freezing bushels and bushels of beans.

I have canned a TON this summer and I am so looking forward to this weekend. But I'm ready to put my canners away for the year soon.

I'll can pumpkin next month and then we won't have any fresh produce for canning umti March or April. I'll make small batches of marmalades but that all has to be shipped up here.

This was my first summer pressure canning and my first year of using Tattler lids. :001_smile:

I haven't cut into one yet, so I have no idea. I'm praying for freestone. :lol:

And yes, it's a ton of peaches, so I'm freezing most of them with sugar and cinnamon. I love fresh peach pie in January!!

I'm also making a few batches of spicy-vanilla peach jam, because that tastes sooooo good on a cream cheese topped bagel. :D

Fruits and veggies are done here until fall, but I stocked up on chicken leg quarters when they were on sale, so dh and I are planning to boil them and then can the resulting stock and shred and freeze the meat on his off days next week. Homemade stock is just so much better!

Oh, and I made a wonderful variation on the Ball peach jam recipe last year just by subbing honey for the sugar (about half the amount). The honey flavor really came through and was delicious!

Recipe? ETA: Pretty Please? :)
You bet!!

Spicy Vanilla-Peach Jam

5 cups peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped fresh peaches

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

9 cups sugar (yes, I know it's a ton, but don't reduce it...it's a dessert jam :lol:)

1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 vanilla beans (3 inches long each)

1 pounch (3 ounces) liquid fruit

Process peaches in a food processor (or a Vitamix :D) until finely chopped. In a stockpot, combine peaches and lemon juice. Stir in sugar and cinnamon until well blended. Split vanilla beans and scrape seeds into peach mixture. Add vanilla beans. Stirring constantly, cook over low heat 4 minutes. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a rolling boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Stirring constantly, bring to a rolling boil again and boil one minute. Remove from heat; skim off foam. Remove vanilla beans. Ladle jam into canning jars and process according to the time recommended for your area.

I am scrubbing the kitchen for Tomatopallooza starting tomorrow. I have 3 bushels of Roma tomatoes coming in Friday and my best friend, her partner, and I are going to can whole tomatoes, make sauce, salsa, and tomato jam.

I've also found a new reipe for mulled apple cider jelly and I'm about a third of the way through making 50 or so pints of applesauce. (I've got 18 pints done so far). Oh, and then I need to make apple pie filling.

And I'm in the process of freezing bushels and bushels of beans.

I have canned a TON this summer and I am so looking forward to this weekend. But I'm ready to put my canners away for the year soon.

I'll can pumpkin next month and then we won't have any fresh produce for canning umti March or April. I'll make small batches of marmalades but that all has to be shipped up here.

This was my first summer pressure canning and my first year of using Tattler lids. :001_smile:

Tomatopalooza, what a great name! I just finished another bushel of them 'sghetti sauce this time.

How did the cider jelly turn out? We're making cider now and it'd be fun to try something new.

Canning pumpkin via pressure canner or water bath?

You bet!!

Spicy Vanilla-Peach Jam

5 cups peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped fresh peaches

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

9 cups sugar (yes, I know it's a ton, but don't reduce it...it's a dessert jam :lol:)

1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 vanilla beans (3 inches long each)

1 pounch (3 ounces) liquid fruit

Process peaches in a food processor (or a Vitamix :D) until finely chopped. In a stockpot, combine peaches and lemon juice. Stir in sugar and cinnamon until well blended. Split vanilla beans and scrape seeds into peach mixture. Add vanilla beans. Stirring constantly, cook over low heat 4 minutes. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a rolling boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Stirring constantly, bring to a rolling boil again and boil one minute. Remove from heat; skim off foam. Remove vanilla beans. Ladle jam into canning jars and process according to the time recommended for your area.

Thank you!!!

I didn't can hardly anything this year. My garden was just a bust...it happens like that though. THen we were in and out much of the summer so I guess it turned out for the best. I still have good stores of things, but bummed that I'm going to have to buy green beans this winter :(

I would love to know if anyone would like to do a jam trade? :D

I have regular fig jam, spiced fig jam, apple pear butter, and jalapeno (which is heavenly over cream cheese and ritz or melted brie and crackers!)