Menu

Alternative to social skills class?

If you have an iPad, the Social Express app has been worth the cost for my DD. It's an expensive app (I spent $49, and I think that was on a special for autism awareness), but she watches and does the lessons on the iPad, then "Teaches" her stuffed animals. It really seems to be "clicking" for her. There's also a DPS (digital problem solver) by the same people that walks the child through recognizing an emotion and picking a strategy to manage the emotion, and it's been very useful for DD in group settings-it's appropriate for her to take out her iPod when she starts getting stressed/frustrated and it helps her deescalate and start thinking instead of reacting, which lets her then USE these social skills she's working on.

If you have an iPad, the Social Express app has been worth the cost for my DD. It's an expensive app (I spent $49, and I think that was on a special for autism awareness), but she watches and does the lessons on the iPad, then "Teaches" her stuffed animals. It really seems to be "clicking" for her. There's also a DPS (digital problem solver) by the same people that walks the child through recognizing an emotion and picking a strategy to manage the emotion, and it's been very useful for DD in group settings-it's appropriate for her to take out her iPod when she starts getting stressed/frustrated and it helps her deescalate and start thinking instead of reacting, which lets her then USE these social skills she's working on.

I dont have an IPAD.... I wonder if there is one for the Kindle... off to search

I found a social skills class for my daughter. Bad news is it's $360 for 12 classes.

What are my other options?

That price is very reasonable. Some cost more.

And, if insurance limits a number of visits per year for psych services, and would count each class session as a visit, and you might have need of individual sessions too, I would not file claims for the classes, because the visit is then consumed by something that wouldn't cost much in the first place. I save our covered visits for the more expensive appointments.

I don't have additional resources to add, but I did want to say that the price is very good. My son attended social skills classes at two different places. The 1st was $75 per class and the other was $50 per class (and we only got it for that because we had 2 speech sessions per week there).

There are a few social skills board games on the market. You can also get social skills flashcards and sets known as "fun decks." The cost of the class sounds very reasonable compared to some of the expenses we've had.

Here are a few resources:

http://www.superduperinc.com/search/search.aspx?searchstr=Autism

Edited by MomatHWTK

That's a fabulous price. We paid $660 for a 12-week session. My 19yo went to two sessions this year. She said it was very helpful. She's back at college now and I certainly hope that the sessions will help her at least make closer acquaintances. She was horribly lonely while away at school last fall and was home for spring semester.