Menu

What to use for 3rd grade grammar?

Mallory

What I want-

Just grammar and mechanics- we will be doing memory work, WWE, narrations with sci and history, and learning cursive. So if it takes much writing it will be a real fight.

Something that he can start with very little grammar done before.

Something quick and easy. This is one of my least favorite subjects and I will have a hard time getting to it otherwise. For example, I think FLL will require so much tweaking, that I will come to dread it. Or else feel like I paid for lots of things we aren't using.

I am thinking Easy Grammar. Any other ideas? Would that work?

We like Growing with Grammar here. The lessons take my ds about 10 minutes or so 3 times per week, and he likes it. Sometimes we take shortcuts on the writing and I will write for him and have him tell me everything to write (too much writing overwhelms him also.) He enjoys GWG and often asks to do it first, and seems to retain the info pretty well.

Depending on the reading level, it could be done independently too. We prefer to go through it together at this point though.

FLL wasn't the right fit for us. And I haven't looked at Easy Grammar. But I definately would recommend GWG! HTH.

We loved Easy Grammar and plan to use it again with my younger children when they are that age. (my older children used it). We have also used BJU English and that was good. I will say though that I had my 3rd grader start with 2nd grade level as she had come out of public school and they had not even taught what a noun was. But once she got going with it, she caught up quickly and then I ended with the 5th grade book. I was going to go straight in to the 7th grade book after that, but then she tried Easy Grammar and loved it and wishes everything could be like EG.

Can you stand another GWG recommendation?? Best program I have found for grammar.

I do also like BJU, but their TM is outrageous so if you go that route, try to get the scaled down version from CLP (?). BJU grammar is great but I do not like their writing program - it is good but not a good fit for us.

Gr3. That's the one I like to start with, and in 3rd grade.

It's very easy to do, nearly all about mechanics, punctuation, etc. Solid grammar stuff. The writing assignments are very short and functional, at least so far (used through Gr5 so far). I.e., writing sentences and later paragraphs.

You can do much of it orally and just write out a little each day/session.

I love it.

What I want-

Just grammar and mechanics- we will be doing memory work, WWE, narrations with sci and history, and learning cursive. So if it takes much writing it will be a real fight.

Something that he can start with very little grammar done before.

Something quick and easy. This is one of my least favorite subjects and I will have a hard time getting to it otherwise. For example, I think FLL will require so much tweaking, that I will come to dread it. Or else feel like I paid for lots of things we aren't using.

I am thinking Easy Grammar. Any other ideas? Would that work?

Here's one that's online for free...KISS Grammar. I have only looked at it and not actually used it.

Winston Grammar has a minimal amount of writing, but it quickly covers concepts that might be difficult for many 3rd graders to grasp (ds11 used it at the end of 4th gr.).

If you're looking for something quick & easy, that requires little writing, and that requires no previous background in grammar, you may want to reconsider FLL (1+2). The lessons are scripted and designed to keep the writing to a bare minimum; most of the lesson time is oral and most lessons take 5-15 minutes.

Both of my kids used FLL1+2, and dd8 is in the middle of FLL3 -- we usually skip over the poetry, since we already use something else for that. It'd be easy to skip the narrations, too. One thing I really like about the FLL series is that since the lessons are set up for one-on-one time with the student, I don't have to check/grade any papers or worksheets later.

I think a student could start with FLL3 with no prior grammar background, too; you'd just have to be prepared to slow down the pace and memorize some of the grammar definitions and lists (the be verbs, etc.).

HTH!

one l michele, thanks, that is sort of how I feel about it too, and I was planning on skipping every other year for the next few. But, he has to start testing next year and I thought he should at least know words like verb and noun. Maybe not???

I have also looked at the KISS website, but it is so confusing :confused:

I think I'll check out Growing with Grammar, since it is so highly recommended.

I also might give Rod and Staff a try. I don't know if anyone read my post about my 8yo who reads the bible and me, his atheist mom, but he might enjoy a Christian grammar book.

Thanks for your help!