Menu

Possible questions after Read alouds???

brill123

I would need help in asking different questions after each chapter or finishing a chapter book/stories?Some questions comes in my mind such as setting,plots,characters,main idea and any particular lessons?

Any other questions for determining whether a child has comprehend the story/novel?

Hm. With my almost 12 y/o, I don't ask her questions, we just enjoy our stories. If she has questions she'll ask as we go, and sometimes later we talk about what parts we liked. Sometimes there will be a topic that leads to further conversation.

With my almost 7 y/o, I don't ask him questions per se after a read aloud, but will sometimes ask conversational questions as we read, like, "What do you think of that? Would you do that? Would you like it if that happened to you? That's pretty silly, huh? Why do you think s/he did that?" Not a lot, but here and there at parts that seem appropriate. He, too, will sometimes ask questions as we go.

But I never really drill them after a book to see if they can answer questions, pass a quiz, or whatever. We try to just enjoy reading for the sake of reading as I think that fosters more of an overall enjoyment of reading.

We just talk about it as we go. One good question for figuring out if a child is following is to ask, "What do you think will happen next?" at your break or at the end of a chapter. If a kid is clued into the story and any foreshadowing, then they'll have a reasonable prediction (even if they're completely wrong). We also talk about how characters are feeling or why they do what they do.

Well, I don't usually ask questions, but I do ask for a narration after some (not all) of our readings. If she can give me a good narration summing up that chapter, then I know she is comprehending the story. After we finish a longer read aloud, we make a notebook page that I have prepared. There are spaces for the main characters and the most exciting part of the book. When we get closer to logic stage, we'll do more with the plot and character development, but for now we are just reading (with comprehension) and enjoying great books!

I don't know the ages of your children, but Teaching the Classics has an appendix that is nothing but a huge list of questions that can be asked about any book. It also teaches basic analysis that can be done on any book and gives lists of books to use by age. It includes 6 (I think) lessons to help give you an idea of how to apply the method to whatever you are reading. It's a great tool.