Menu

Can I freeze fresh green beans

or should I blanch them first? Or even cook them, and freeze them that way? We came into a bag of green beans that is too big to be cooked and used before they would go bad, but not big enough to be worth getting out the pressure canner.

I do have a vacuum sealer, so could I freeze them in some of those bags and steam them when I'm ready to use them? I have done that with corn before.

:bigear:

wash, snap ends, snap into pieces or leave whole, toss into freezer bag. :D

Sorry, not the OP, but you don't cook them at all before you freeze them? Just curious, I've never done it before the other day and I partially cooked them, then threw them in a freezer bag and froze them. Which is better?:001_smile:

I always blanch first and then cool them in ice water for 3 minutes or so. I want to stop that enzyme action and help them last the longest!

This is what I do. I also dry them well then lay them out on a cookie sheet, pop them in the freezer for a few hours, then pack them into freezer bags. That way they freeze individually and don't stick together in a big mess.

This is what I do. I also dry them well then lay them out on a cookie sheet, pop them in the freezer for a few hours, then pack them into freezer bags. That way they freeze individually and don't stick together in a big mess.

I don't freeze them individually but I've thought about it. I do the paper towel thing too! And I put mine in food saver bags. They seem to last so much longer in them.

I think I will try it without blanching and see how it goes. It is a small batch, so if it isn't great, it won't be a huge loss. I will spread them on a cookie sheet to freeze though - I do that when I freeze precut fruit and it makes it so much easier to use it later!