Menu

MUS--supplementation? Weak areas?

Amy M

In what areas have you felt that MUS is weak or needed supplementation? If you supplemented, what did you use? I tried to search for posts on this, but couldn't find answers.

Background: We're overseas, and I'm buying several years' worth of curricula ahead of time to save on shipping, and bringing it all back after a visit to the States next spring. So I'll have to make whatever I pick "work" for us. I have pretty much decided to go with MUS but am a little worried about their different approach/order to teaching concepts. I had thought of buying Life of Fred, but wasn't sure if it was worth the money ahead of time, especially for lower elementary. We're about to start MUS Alpha here, so I will have a 3-month run-through with that before going back to the U.S. I anticipate needing to buy MUS Beta through Epsilon before we'll be back in the States again.

Please advise! :001_huh:

I use MUS with my 5th grade daughter. We have finished Gamma and Delta, and now we are on to Epsilon.

I am using Horizons Math 5 to supplement this year. I think she would be fine using just the MUS, but I just want her to have a little extra practice in other areas like time, measurement, and other such problems.

Like in Delta, it is mostly about division. You will get multiplication too , when you check your division problems. There is also some "finding" the area, perimeter, and volume.

I just like my child to be well rounded and not forget the basics. That is why I supplement.

Maybe you could get a cheaper, basic math book, like MCP, and use it along side MUS just to be sure.

That being said, I really do love MUS. If it wasn't for that program, my dd10 would still be crying over multiplication.

We used MUS Epsilon last yr and supplemented w LOF fractions. They lined up great! MUS offers extra practice worksheets and drill on their website. I also have the entire collection of math mammoth by topic and I pick and choose from there for stuff they need extra practice on. Plus they r PDF files so easy for you to pack! :)

We used MUS Epsilon last yr and supplemented w LOF fractions. They lined up great! MUS offers extra practice worksheets and drill on their website. I also have the entire collection of math mammoth by topic and I pick and choose from there for stuff they need extra practice on. Plus they r PDF files so easy for you to pack! :)

I have looked at MM to supplement with, but got confused over what to get. If you don't mind sharing, what did you get from MM?

My dd7 is starting MUS Alpha, and dd9 is starting Saxon 5/4.

OP - I'm sorry that I don't have any advice about MUS. I wonder the same thing, but from what I have read, if you follow the whole program, there won't be any gaps. I'm all ears for other's suggestions and advice.

Edited by mlbuchina

My 11yo is using MUS Pre-Algebra and we're supplementing with Hands on Equations and Life of Fred. Before I switched my 8yo to CLE Math he was using MUS along with Singapore CWP, Beast Academy and Life of Fred Elementary, it wasn't working for him and wasn't retaining much from MUS only the other programs.

Should I purchase speed drills? Or is that included with MUS? I'm coming from using ABeka math for kindergarten, and know that they use speed drills later on, which I appreciate.

MUS does teach time, measurements, etc. correct? Just not in the order of the other math curricula?

Should I purchase speed drills? Or is that included with MUS? I'm coming from using ABeka math for kindergarten, and know that they use speed drills later on, which I appreciate.

MUS does teach time, measurements, etc. correct? Just not in the order of the other math curricula?

MUS does teach all the topics, including those you listed. If you teach through Zeta, you will be covered.

MUS is not good for speed drills, though perhaps the online drill is excellent -- we do not use it. If you can print, you might want to download the Calculadder drill program. If not, you could buy it as workbooks at Rainbow Resources. I strongly suggest supplementing MUS with all the Wrap-Ups for the operations, and maybe the one for fractions; you might not need another drill program if you do this, though Calculadder drills go through multi-digit operations so I find them useful. The Wrap-up song CDs are optional, I wouldn't purchase them myself, but at the link I gave it may be cheapest to just buy the kit which includes them. And adding LoF would be an excellent way of enriching MUS.

If you want to cover your bases, you can round MUS out with the Kitchen Table Math books (there are three): these will enable you to teach well any topic the child struggles with, and they also provide an approach designed to build up an excellent "math intuition" that complements MUS well. I would also add the "Key to" series for fractions, decimals, percents, geometry and maybe algebra. The Key to ... books are excellent for teaching trouble spots; and with these resources you can provide a stellar math education, and will be able to fairly easily teach through any of the common trouble spots.

Also you may want to familiarize yourself with MEP, which is online and free. A child who goes through MEP Year 6 will have an excellent education, and I think the above additional resources would not be necessary. There's a ton of printing, though, so it may not be a good option.

I will add links later this AM!

ETA: I think MUS is a really excellent choice for your situation. :)

Edited by serendipitous journey

argh -- I'm in such a hurry this AM, and the above may not be useful.

Here's what I'm thinking: I myself care greatly about math, have used MUS for years, and would like to be helpful. I think it will help you to supplement MUS a bit, but with what depends on your goals.

For solid teaching, I would add a drill and the Key to series, if you have room for them (that links everything @ Rainbow Resources, I am thinking Fractions, Decimals, Percents, and maybe Geometry; Algebra if you plan to get that far). "Key to" will make it easy to teach those topics, and I like the presentation of fractions, for ex., much better than MUS's version, and it is easier for the child to follow. It is possible to teach everything without Key to but if I were headed away from Amazon.com and needed to teach math, I'd want them. For drill, Wrap-Ups are portable and manual, providing a good non-visual teaching of the facts. Calculadder (that is the downloadable, workbooks here) is writing but goes up to some fancy problems, I really like it if you can print. We don't use online drills b/c I am working with a young, accelerated child and his keyboarding skills lag his conceptual abilities, but if your child is working close to standard age-level they may be excellent.

If you want a really excellent math education, for a talented child or for your own goals, I would add the Kitchen Table books (1,2, and 3). They are outstanding. They also give a feel for the puzzle nature of math, which is what mathematically talented children like about math and which MUS does not provide. In this case you could dump the "Key to" and teach from the Kitchen Math chapters for trouble areas; this is a bit more work for you, but would spare you bringing surplus materials. The Kitchen Table books also provide a very robust way to teach some things that MUS, IMHO, can make harder to learn and doesn't teach in a mathematically intuitive way: multi-digit multiplication and division, for ex., and some fraction math.

HTH!

argh -- I'm in such a hurry this AM, and the above may not be useful.

Here's what I'm thinking: I myself care greatly about math, have used MUS for years, and would like to be helpful. I think it will help you to supplement MUS a bit, but with what depends on your goals.

For solid teaching, I would add a drill and the Key to series, if you have room for them. "Key to" will make it easy to teach those topics, and I like the presentation of fractions, for ex., much better than MUS's version, and it is easier for the child to follow. It is possible to teach everything without Key to but if I were headed away from Amazon.com and needed to teach math, I'd want them. For drill, Wrap-Ups are portable and manual, providing a good non-visual teaching of the facts. Calculadder is writing but goes up to some fancy problems, I really like it if you can print. We don't use online drills b/c I am working with a young, accelerated child and his keyboarding skills lag his conceptual abilities, but if your child is working close to standard age-level they may be excellent.

If you want a really excellent math education, for a talented child or for your own goals, I would add the Kitchen Table books. They are outstanding. They also give a feel for the puzzle nature of math, which is what mathematically talented children like about math and which MUS does not provide. In this case you could dump the "Key to" and teach from the Kitchen Math chapters for trouble areas; this is a bit more work for you, but would spare you bringing surplus materials. The Kitchen Table books also provide a very robust way to teach some things that MUS, IMHO, can make harder to learn and doesn't teach in a mathematically intuitive way: multi-digit multiplication and division, for ex., and some fraction math.

HTH!

Thanks for your help. :) Thank you all for your help. Let me summarize what I'm getting, and you all can correct me if I'm wrong:

MUS weak areas: word problems. Look at Singapore Challenging Word Problems. Possibly drilling if you have internet issues (and we might in Africa, but usually we're okay there, if it doesn't eat up too many megabytes...) Look at Wrap-ups/Calculadder.

Not necessarily a weak area, but worrisome at times to some/all moms :001_smile:: the out-of-order approach, or different approach to teaching concepts. Look at Math Mammoth blue series, Key to... series, Kitchen Table Math series, and Life of Fred.

To pp: if you could just pick one supplement of the couple you mentioned :), what's your favorite, and able to reach the most amount of different needs among your children? It sounds like maybe you like Key to... best? Also--not having looked at Key to... yet, it sounds a lot like MUS, going by topics instead of the spiral approach. Is that correct? Do people usually want to supplement with something using the spiral approach?

Again, thanks for your time!

Thanks for your help. :) Thank you all for your help. Let me summarize what I'm getting, and you all can correct me if I'm wrong:

MUS weak areas: word problems. Look at Singapore Challenging Word Problems. Possibly drilling if you have internet issues (and we might in Africa, but usually we're okay there, if it doesn't eat up too many megabytes...) Look at Wrap-ups/Calculadder.

Not necessarily a weak area, but worrisome at times to some/all moms :001_smile:: the out-of-order approach, or different approach to teaching concepts. Look at Math Mammoth blue series, Key to... series, Kitchen Table Math series, and Life of Fred.

To pp: if you could just pick one supplement of the couple you mentioned :), what's your favorite, and able to reach the most amount of different needs among your children? It sounds like maybe you like Key to... best? Also--not having looked at Key to... yet, it sounds a lot like MUS, going by topics instead of the spiral approach. Is that correct? Do people usually want to supplement with something using the spiral approach?

Again, thanks for your time!

Okay, I just added links ...

RE Word Problems: I do not find this to be a weakness of MUS. They are not the fancy, sometimes convoluted word problems of Singapore but they do teach the child when to do what, which I think is the main point for elementary.

For drills: I would suggest Wrap-Ups for you. I have a simple format for doing multi-digit problems orally with my little one, which you can also use for the single-digits instead of Wrap-ups, and will share it if you PM me -- it's kind of tedious to write out, but essentially after his basic facts are down we do multi-digit addition/multiplication and subtration/division on alternate days. This is sufficient to keep the mental skills sharp. But you have to solve the daily 20 problems yourself in your head :D which may be tedious and annoying. On the bright side, it's free and lives in your brain so it travels easily!

Also if you do it all orally you have to be pretty self-disciplined about it. I often let a month slide with no review, then pick it up, now that Button has mastered things; but while they are learning, regular drill is so important. I don't know what your life will be like, and how distracting the other children are likely to be, or if your DH can pick it up sometimes.

Your MUS manual includes some oral problems, too.

I think the out-of-order is another nonissue if you teach MUS through Zeta. Each lesson has 6 practice pages, they are A-F. There is spiral review on the D,E and F pages: do at least one of those per lesson, ideally all three if you have any concerns. Do this even if the child has mastered the lesson's new material, and you will have sufficient review. Some folks just scoot ahead when the child has the idea, and don't know to do some of the D/E/F review pages, and that is when there is insufficient review.

FWIW, if you follow the advice in the MUS instructor manuals you will avoid these pitfalls. BE SURE TO READ YOUR INSTRUCTOR MANUALS FOR EACH CHAPTER! This will help. At least go back and read it every month or so, skimming for oral problems and general advice.

If I had to order one supplement it would, hands-down, be the Kitchen Table Math books. Even in MUS there are some common concepts that children struggle with, and if you have the Kitchen Table books you will be able to teach well to your child any of the concepts they cover. The Key to are nice, and easy to work through, but they are also consumable with the Kitchen Table are not.

Regarding the spiral approach, as I mentioned above, if you just use at least one of the review sheets for each lesson you will be spiral-reviewing old material.

:)

Word problems and problems that require out-of-the-box thinking. I'd supplement with Singapore Challenging Word Problems or something like it and possibly Beast Academy and/or Life of Fred.

Well, Kai has more experience with this than I do :). Some kids don't cotton to CWP at all so I'd think Fred is a safer choice for multiple children.

ETA: if you follow along the MUS topics in the Kitchen Math book, and go over things as suggested -- it is pretty informal, sort of like math seminars for little ones -- you would get the sort of out-of-the-box thinking and problem solving addressed here. So if you really had to pick ONE supplement, I'm still voting for the Kitchen Table series. Kai?

I know this isn't going to help much, but I really think to supplement or not to supplement (or what do I supplement with?) is unique to your learner.

I Started all my kids on MUS. I quickly found out it was too elementary for my oldest son. He needed more challenge. I switched everyone to Math Mammoth at this point.

Now, for my 3 boys MM is perfect. Each boy is working ahead in MM according to grade level. Great!

MM did NOT work for my dd. She HATED math and was getting very frustrated and could not work independently at all. So, I went back to MUS with her and she is tolerating math again. She will never love it, but she at least is understanding it and is able to do it on her own after I teach her a concept. For her, I am NOT supplementing. She is not mathy and never will be. My goal for her math education is to learn enough basics to get by. She will never want "more" from math and that's okay for me. MUS is perfect just the way it is for her. She'll get basic math concepts down and actually understand them.

So... you may want to start in MUS and get a feel for your child's math ability/interest. If you have a mathy kid on your hand you may want to look at Math Mammoth for a supplement. I started MM as a supplement and ended up switching completely over to it for my mathy kids. If your child is not a mathy kid MUS may be enough in and of itself.

I used MUS from Alpha to Zeta and always supplemented. Not because it was lacking, only because I knew due to the mastery approach the kids may not have learned a skill that would be on the state standardized testing, and I didn't want them to think they were behind. I went through Abeka, BJU, & Horizons as supplements before I found CLE, which I generally used one grade level lower, and for us they were the perfect combination.

I know this isn't going to help much, but I really think to supplement or not to supplement (or what do I supplement with?) is unique to your learner.

I Started all my kids on MUS. I quickly found out it was too elementary for my oldest son. He needed more challenge. I switched everyone to Math Mammoth at this point.

Now, for my 3 boys MM is perfect. Each boy is working ahead in MM according to grade level. Great!

MM did NOT work for my dd. She HATED math and was getting very frustrated and could not work independently at all. So, I went back to MUS with her and she is tolerating math again. She will never love it, but she at least is understanding it and is able to do it on her own after I teach her a concept. For her, I am NOT supplementing. She is not mathy and never will be. My goal for her math education is to learn enough basics to get by. She will never want "more" from math and that's okay for me. MUS is perfect just the way it is for her. She'll get basic math concepts down and actually understand them.

So... you may want to start in MUS and get a feel for your child's math ability/interest. If you have a mathy kid on your hand you may want to look at Math Mammoth for a supplement. I started MM as a supplement and ended up switching completely over to it for my mathy kids. If your child is not a mathy kid MUS may be enough in and of itself.

This is an interesting point. My older DS, Button, is quite accelerated in math and I liked that MUS let him zoom ahead. For him it was better than MM b/c the pages were clean, spare, with only a few problems; the MM pages were hard for him to use. I suppose much does depend on the child!

I probably sound like a broken record, but I have to say I haven't seen a more complete single supplement than the Kitchen Table books, which are put out by the AoPS folks. I heard so much good about them but never bought one until we hit a major block learning long division. MUS wasn't working; MM wasn't working; I used the strategies in Kitchen Table Math 2 and that was it! Now, it took a few weeks to work through it; but it worked. And the math is gorgeous. It is all just nicely thought through, accurate, and logically extends along the text.

The extension thinking problems given for the topics in Kitchen Table are meant to build up an excellent feel for how numbers behave, and a sense for the puzzle-solving fun of math. In the fractions section, for example, a child going through the exercises would be figuring out what happens as you raise a fraction's numerator, and keep the denominator the same; and then the inverse. These sorts of exercises will keep the mathiest child engaged, and will provide a very solid base for a struggling, confused one.

IMHO. :)

I used MUS from Alpha to Zeta and always supplemented. Not because it was lacking, only because I knew due to the mastery approach the kids may not have learned a skill that would be on the state standardized testing, and I didn't want them to think they were behind. I went through Abeka, BJU, & Horizons as supplements before I found CLE, which I generally used one grade level lower, and for us they were the perfect combination.

It is true that if you care about standardized tests you will want to do something else. But in that case, to be honest you are not looking for the best particular supplement for rounding out MUS to an excellent education; you are looking for a supplement that teaches the standard scope & sequence. If the OP is interested in tracking performance a la standardized tests I would honestly suggest switching to Singapore (and bring along Kitchen Table for teaching help in sticky spots). Though I don't have experience in the programs you mentioned so my perspective has limited value regarding them -- I have heard many people happy about CLE.

So if you really had to pick ONE supplement, I'm still voting for the Kitchen Table series. Kai?

I've never seen the Kitchen Table series, but I would think that anything that does a good job helping kids to think about non-routine problems would be a good supplement.