Menu

ACT vs SAT

LindaG

Many have dc take both as some do better on one or the other.

From what I gather, SAT tests more how you learn. They're known for having more "trick" questions and they count off for incorrect answers. The ACT is more like an achievement test--it tests what you know. It's less tricky and doesn't punish for incorrect answers so guessing can have positive results. Also, since it has 4 sections (math, English, comprehensions & science) if your dc is weak in an area (esp. math) it doesn't affect the comprehensive score as much. As to the writing section, it is not mandatory for all schools or the test itself and it is not figured into the comprehensive score.

While the SAT is more popular on the east and west coasts, the ACT is more popular with the rest of the country. Here in the midwest, the ACT is definitely far more common.

None of my dd's schools wanted to see a score for the ACT writing exam. We skipped the writing portion, since nobody required it.

As others have said, the SAT is more a reasoning test, while the ACT is more of a content test. The ACT tests a higher level of math (there are four trigonometry problems.) My engineering-oriented dd did exceptionally well on the ACT, but she took a couple of SAT practice tests and didn't score as well, so we didn't bother with the SAT.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter which one your student takes. Most kids will score higher on one than the other. Colleges will accept either and will convert one score to the other if they have a specific preference.

More echo here.

In NC, we have to test every year. It has to be a standardized achievement test. The ACT counts but the SAT doesn't. Because the ACT tests what you know and the SAT tests how you can apply it.

Because of the NC requirement, I have my kids take the ACT starting in 10th grade. Unless they do very poorly, they never take the SAT. We start sending it to colleges in 11th grade.

Which one or both?

If there is a thread discussing this, I can't find it.

Some companies, including those on Wall Street, do ask job applicants for SAT scores . At least on the coasts, the SAT is still a bit more prestigious than the ACT. Everyone knows that an 800 is the top score on a section. Fewer know what the top score on an ACT section is. I think anyone who can score very well on the SAT (which can be determined by taking a practice test) should take it, even if he or she also takes the ACT.

My advice is to have your student take sample tests of both at home. See which one they prefer and then focus on preparing for that test and don't worry about the other test. That saves time and money. The strategies for improving scores on the ACT and SAT are different, so best to pick one and raise that score.

As many schools "superscore" it makes sense for some students to take their preferred test more than once.

I've taken official practice tests of both in recent months. The biggest difference I see is that the SAT tries to trick you and the ACT does not. If you have a kid who has trouble thinking outside the box under time pressure, the ACT may be the way to go.

I've taken official practice tests of both in recent months. The biggest difference I see is that the SAT tries to trick you and the ACT does not. If you have a kid who has trouble thinking outside the box under time pressure, the ACT may be the way to go.

I agree the SAT has more "trick" type questions.

In my experience the big wild card with the ACT is the science section. It is more a test of reading and interpreting charts and graphs than it is of science. There are kids who get a big score boost from the science section, and there are kids who really get crushed by it. Without a practice test it can be tough to predict if it will be tough for the student.

Here is an article and a blog post on this topic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/education/edlife/guidance.html

ACT vs. SAT

By MICHELLE SLATALLA

New York Times

November 4, 2007

http://educationrealist.wordpress.com/2012/06/22/whats-the-difference-between-the-sat-and-the-act/

What’s the difference between the SAT and the ACT?

By educationrealist

June 22, 2012

My advice is to have your student take sample tests of both at home. See which one they prefer and then focus on preparing for that test and don't worry about the other test. That saves time and money. The strategies for improving scores on the ACT and SAT are different, so it's best to pick one and raise that score.

:iagree: This is what we've done. I have my dc take the PSAT in 10th grade so I'll have a good idea of how they'd do on the full SAT. I then have them take a practice ACT at home to see if that test is better for them.

Then they spend the time studying and prepping for the test that is likely to be the best for them. I wouldn't normally advocate taking both the SAT and ACT officially due to the $$ required for sign-up and also the time required for studying for two separate tests. Junior year is busy enough already, that we don't like to spend time studying for both if one of them is enough.

Another reason to consider not taking both -- if your dc applies to a college that requires all scores from all test dates be reported (not too common, but some of the more selective places ask for this), and he/she has greatly disparate scores, this might raise flags with a reviewer.

Brenda

My three eldest dc all went/are going to the same university. The desired test really depended on their major. The engineering and nursing colleges definitely preferred the ACT. The liberal arts colleges preferred the SAT even within the same university.

My opinion is to try both of them. My nephew almost didn't take the SAT because he was offered a decent scholarship with his ACT score. However, with his SAT score he earned a full ride including room and board, and books. This was in the fall of his senior year after he had already been accepted.

My son took both; he decided he preferred the ACT format and took it again hoping to improve his math score. He did significantly better the second time around on the math portion and also raised his composite score.

Every school he applied to accepted either test. None of the schools on his list were interested in seeing the ACT writing portion so he did not sign up for that the second time around.

Both are a good idea if you want merit aid. They need to know that their investment will be a good one. It helps also to apply to the schools where your students score is higher than the average by a significant percentage. The SAT is much harder for most students as it requires nuanced thinking. That said a good score on either is a boon.