Menu

Tapestry of Grace 3- I can't find the alternate resource list anywhere

We are going to do TOG 3 (Dialectic) this year, but have 3 more weeks of TOG 2 from last year to finish up first. :tongue_smilie:

I've been looking for it used, and hopefully will find a set in the next couple of weeks. ;) But in the meantime, I've been gathering my books.

BUT I can't seem to find the list of alternate resources for year 3 on their website. I printed off the primary one, but for the life of me cannot locate the alternate one. I know it was once there, I remember printing it off once. I use the one for Dialectic and Upper Grammar.

Does anyone know? Am I just looking on the wrong page or do they not have it anymore? I know I can call them tomorrow, but does anyone have the answer for me tonight, so that I can stop searching? :D

It looks to me like they've changed their website to not show the list of alternate books. :glare: I can't seem to find it anywhere either. I know they used to have it up because I have it printed off for Y1 and was just going to do the same for Y2 but can't find that either. Annoying. :glare:

You may want to contact customer service, as they are usually very helpful with that sort of thing. Another option would be to call out a request here on the forum for someone who owns TOG 3 already and would be willing to share the list with you.

Blessings,

Lucinda

It looks to me like they've changed their website to not show the list of alternate books. :glare: I can't seem to find it anywhere either. I know they used to have it up because I have it printed off for Y1 and was just going to do the same for Y2 but can't find that either. Annoying. :glare:

I think you have to have the Loom now in order to have access to the alternate list.

The book lists aren't there anymore. I noticed they weren't complete when they were so I'm not sure if that was part of the problem of not. Now they just link to the bookstore for you to pull the current books that way, not as helpful I know, although they are also selling some books used. :)

Hey Swirl, and maybe others, what were you going to do with the alternate list? Maybe there's some other way to get at what you want? As a Tapestry user, I understand the furtive pleasure of rearranging book lists, but to be honest, I rarely used anything but the primary list when it came down to acquisitions. So, maybe what you want to do can be done another way.

The thing about the alternate list is that you are more likely to find books at the library from the alternate list than from the primary list. If my library does not have a particular book from the primary list, I can look at the alternate list for a good substitute. It was really handy having a way to look at all of the alternates in one spreadsheet. Now, I can only see them by going into each individual week-plan.

Hey Swirl, and maybe others, what were you going to do with the alternate list?

When I originally posted it was midnight and I was about to tackle the book room. I say book "room" because book "shelf" just no longer applies. :D

I thought I would keep any from the UG, Dialectic, and Rhetoric lists. We do several things with them. We read them for fun or as sources for information when we do reports. Sometimes we use them instead of a pimary resource book we have already read, and didn't like, and would die if we had to read again. :D

We have a used bookstore that has a HUGE homeschool section. They are dirt cheap and twice a year have a 40% off sale where they practically give stuff away. That is why I have a book "room" and not a book "shelf".

At one time, I had the primary and alternate lists printed off for all 4 levels of Dialectic and I would check this bookstore periodically for titles. (They also have most of their inventory online now, which makes it easy.) I know I've bought several books, but I didn't color code them like I did for Sonlight. Now I have no idea what goes with what.

We carried five big boxes of books out to the car last night and now I'll have store credit. :thumbup:

Swirl, I thought maybe that sort of thing was the case. Let me make a suggestion of an alternative course of action. Instead of being fixed on a certain set of books, look at books to find the best of any particular kind of book and look to find books that work with your children.

With children in the UG and LG I would simply substitute any "good" book I had for any books that Tapestry suggests at will.

With D level children I'd continue to do this with more care: I'd make sure I substituted books of similar length to insure adequate coverage of the subject (a book much shorter than Tapestry's choice might not have enough information to allow them to answer questions while a book with too much in it might be too much reading for your child or make it difficult to find the information). I would also probably use anything Tapestry used for a substantial part of any year plan as in some year plans there are some works that do that. This will save you headaches.

Finally with R level children I'd hesitate to do much substituting. The one exception I suppose you might do is to look at the text books they schedule on the alternate pages that last for all four years if you want to go that route, but because of the depth and intensity of R level, I'd probably work pretty hard to stay with their suggestions.

Swirl, I thought maybe that sort of thing was the case. Let me make a suggestion of an alternative course of action. Instead of being fixed on a certain set of books, look at books to find the best of any particular kind of book and look to find books that work with your children.

With children in the UG and LG I would simply substitute any "good" book I had for any books that Tapestry suggests at will.

With D level children I'd continue to do this with more care: I'd make sure I substituted books of similar length to insure adequate coverage of the subject (a book much shorter than Tapestry's choice might not have enough information to allow them to answer questions while a book with too much in it might be too much reading for your child or make it difficult to find the information). I would also probably use anything Tapestry used for a substantial part of any year plan as in some year plans there are some works that do that. This will save you headaches.

Finally with R level children I'd hesitate to do much substituting. The one exception I suppose you might do is to look at the text books they schedule on the alternate pages that last for all four years if you want to go that route, but because of the depth and intensity of R level, I'd probably work pretty hard to stay with their suggestions.

:iagree: with all of the above. I've had especially good experiences substituting for the UG stage. I always compare the length of the book I'm considering (usually from the library) to the TOG assigned book. It's been a pretty good way to gauge how well the substitute book will work. Sometimes I look up the TOG book on Amazon to read a small portion and check it against the library book I'm considering.

I'm not doing much substituting w/ R level Ds.

• 5 months later...

That sucks, those of us with DE or DE+print don't have access. I'm hoping I might have printed them off somewhere.

I am cleaning out my schoolroom and organizing by TOG years. Been a headache. :(

I own print year 1 without a loom.

Year 2 DE/print (no loom)

Year 3 print with loom (if I can find it) and DE purchased on its own

I emailed TOG. Hopefully will have answer tomorrow.