Menu

How should someone respond if yellow jacket bees are attacking them?

There is a hive near where a place they play, and until we get it taken care of, how should they respond if the bees start to come after them?

It's very doubtful it would happen, but I started wondering this myself. Stop, drop and roll seems like it would press the bees into you, and I think I remember that you shouldn't run away (or was that with fire because it gives more oxygen to the fire?) So what would one do if this ever happened?

Well, they have a "rock crushing lab" set up on the side porch, which is about 10 feet by 8 feet attached to the house, which is where the hive is (under the siding at knee level.)

They have spent literally hours setting up their lab with tables and test tubes and so on and they need the concrete to crush the rocks on, so I hate to have them move it all.

They know not to swat the bees (they are age 12 and 9) and the bees are just flying past them and not bothering them.

We will spray the hive tonight at dusk (that's what the can says to do.)

Anyway, I'll probably have to have them move, but the whole thing got me wondering what the recommendation is if yellow jackets start to attack you. Anybody know?

Edited by HappyGrace

Yellow jackets are wasps, not bees. They do sting, but unlike bees, may sting repeatedly, since their stingers do not discharge like with bees (bees can only sting you once). Wasps are more aggressive. Don't swat at them unless you are intending to squash them with something. The best thing to do is move away from their territory.

They are attracted by bright colours, sweet smells and strong smells (like b.o., sweat, poopy diapers, etc.).

I would just wait until it gets dark (so the bees are all in the nest) and spray it like crazy!

If the kids do get a bee sting, put apple cider vinegar on it immediately and it will take the stinging feeling away. It also prevents the bites from swelling and looking awful.

Ask me how I know this trick works. :glare:

I accidentally stuck my hand into a yellow jacket nest that was in an unexpected place by our deck. Now, I know that I should have looked first, before sticking a hand into the particular nest... but after an armful of bee stings, let's just say that a valuable lesson was learned. I ran away from the bees, hurried into the house, and dumped about half a bottle of vinegar on my hand and forearm -- and the stinging went away almost immediately. It was pretty amazing.

Oh, and not to say that I wanted revenge or anything, but I went back out there at dusk and unloaded an entire can of bee spray on that nest.

I. Killed. Them. All.

And I was happy. :D

I know now that it wasn't the bees' fault that I was so incredibly stupid, and quite frankly, I knew it then too, but I got bloodthirsty. And the bee spray was already right there in the garage...........

I would just wait until it gets dark (so the bees are all in the nest) and spray it like crazy!

If the kids do get a bee sting, put apple cider vinegar on it immediately and it will take the stinging feeling away. It also prevents the bites from swelling and looking awful.

Ask me how I know this trick works. :glare:

I accidentally stuck my hand into a yellow jacket nest that was in an unexpected place by our deck. Now, I know that I should have looked first, before sticking a hand into the particular nest... but after an armful of bee stings, let's just say that a valuable lesson was learned. I ran away from the bees, hurried into the house, and dumped about half a bottle of vinegar on my hand and forearm -- and the stinging went away almost immediately. It was pretty amazing.

Oh, and not to say that I wanted revenge or anything, but I went back out there at dusk and unloaded an entire can of bee spray on that nest.

I. Killed. Them. All.

And I was happy. :D

I know now that it wasn't the bees' fault that I was so incredibly stupid, and quite frankly, I knew it then too, but I got bloodthirsty. And the bee spray was already right there in the garage...........

Glad to know about the vinegar, thanks! I've always just tried a paste of baking soda/water.

Yes, at dusk I will be out there spraying liberally ;)

Run :)

There really is no other appropriate thing to do...just get way from the nest as quickly as possible and brush off any wasps that are on you.

I am the queen of yellow jacket location. Put a mower in my hands, and I can almost guarantee I will find a nest within 10 minutes :glare: It is why I no longer mow. First time I was attacked it just hurt. The second time, the stings swelled up bigger than the first. The third time I felt very, very bad and had to load up on benedryl. Not fun.

Run :)

They are territorial and will only follow so far.

I'm glad you got them moved away and I agree with the advice to go back and empty a can of wasp spray into the next after dusk. However, if the kids accidentally get near a nest and the wasps come after them, they should know to run, in a straight line away from the hive. It will take them out of danger fastest with the fewest stings.

Oh, and do brush off any that land on them because they will stay on and sting repeatedly.