Menu

Eragon

Annie Laurie

Eragon's cousin, Roran, and Roran's girlfriend are expecting a baby in book 2, while they are not married yet (they get married later on).

There is some violence because there's fighting and war.

Roran stays overnight w/Katrina (sp?) -- thus the baby-on-the-way. No detail, but it is obvious he slept with her. There are other boy-loves-girl (and girl dragon-has-feelings-for-boy-dragon) stuff, but nothing my 10 & unders couldn't handle.

Goriness, war, fighting, anger, etc.

My kids enjoyed the series on audiotape because some of the language/names were really tough to figure out. We discussed how the author obviously knew his myths & must have read some of the same books we had (Lord of the Rings, for example).

My kids will sometimes get into discussions on the "nature of magic" in books (Eragon vs. Harry Potter). A good debate in our house is who would win - Eragon (w/Saphira) or Harry Potter (w/friends)?

Roran stays overnight w/Katrina (sp?) -- thus the baby-on-the-way. No detail, but it is obvious he slept with her. There are other boy-loves-girl (and girl dragon-has-feelings-for-boy-dragon) stuff, but nothing my 10 & unders couldn't handle.

Goriness, war, fighting, anger, etc.

My kids enjoyed the series on audiotape because some of the language/names were really tough to figure out. We discussed how the author obviously knew his myths & must have read some of the same books we had (Lord of the Rings, for example).

My kids will sometimes get into discussions on the "nature of magic" in books (Eragon vs. Harry Potter). A good debate in our house is who would win - Eragon (w/Saphira) or Harry Potter (w/friends)?

:iagree: Good review and highlighting of the mature themes. The whole thing w/ Roran & Katrina should go over a 10yr old child's head. I gave my 10 yr. old permission to read it, but he became disinterested in the middle of Eragon.

My 9-year old (now ten) read all four books this spring, he enjoyed them, but about half way through the 3rd book, it started getting to "heavy" for him and we talked about it being okay to put it down and come back to it later.

He read a couple of the Mysterious Benedict Society books and then returned to it and finished the series. He loved them!

Happy reading!

My dh just finished reading all 4 books to my girls, who will be 10 next week. They are now rereading all of them on their own.

I have one VERY sensitive child and she would get really nervous/exciting when he read the first book, but now she can't get enough!!

They have loved these books.

The movie is very harmless, FYI.

It's funny, I was just researching this today. I read 3 Christian book review blogs that say it contains a good deal of violence- appropriate for 15 and up, as well as a group of people who practice a dark magic that requires human sacrifice and self-maiming.

So....I decided to hold off on this for my ten year old.

:confused: Wonder what the blogs say about the Lord of the Rings trilogy?

I had to think about the "group of people who practice a dark magic that requires human sacrifice & self-maiming." Perhaps it refers to the cult Eragon, Saphira (dragon), and Roran encounter when they go to free Katrina. I think they don't come up until Book 3. They are a group of people (a cult) who worship the (evil/bad) Ra'zac. That cult would be the "human sacrifice & self-maiming" people. These (cult) "priests" are encountered again in Book 4.

There are also nature-loving Elfs, gem-loving dwarves, and a language which doesn't allow you to tell a lie when you speak it.

And yes, there is a LOT of violence. And affection between a boy & his dragon. And adventures, quests, & mysteries to encounter about through the four books. Etc.