Menu

Chicken pot pie ingredients question

My pot pie recipe calls for celery, carrots, peas, corn, mushrooms, and potatoes. I only have carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes. The chicken stock was made with plenty of celery in it for flavor though. Do you think pot pie with just those three vegetables would be yummy? What if I added cubed yellow summer squash?

Or do I really need to get off my rear and go off the grocery store?

My pot pie recipe calls for celery, carrots, peas, corn, mushrooms, and potatoes. I only have carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes. The chicken stock was made with plenty of celery in it for flavor though. Do you think pot pie with just those three vegetables would be yummy? What if I added cubed yellow summer squash?

Or do I really need to get off my rear and go off the grocery store?

I use a frozen veggies mix with corn, peas, green beans, and carrots. I also add onion and potato. I have never had it with celery or mushrooms. It is okay to make it without it. :001_smile:

If your recipe calls for pre-cooking the veggies, do not pre-cook the squash. I use butternut squash in mine in place of peas and find that even butternut squash, which is much harder than yellow squash, turns to mush if it is pre-cooked with the carrots, etc. If you have celery salt, you can throw some in to make up for celery flavor. Any chance you have a can of water chestnuts lying around? That would make for a nice crunch.

Terri

Great, thanks for the reassurance and ideas, everyone. I'm trying to avoid going to the grocery store this pay cycle, so I want to use veggies from my garden as much as possible, even if they're not exactly what the recipe calls for! I did come up with a can of organic peas, so maybe I'll add some of those in at the end too.

Plansrme, thanks for the tip, I'll definitely add it in with the peas!

I use a frozen veggies mix with corn, peas, green beans, and carrots.

You know, I normally have this on hand from Costco! We just don't have it this time around though, and my deep freeze didn't yield any hidden packages of frozen veggies I can use. Gah! I'll just make sure I serve plenty of tomatoes and salad on the side.